TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

If the nintendo was 179 and the PS3 was 425..that seems like a bargain? I dont know exchange rates and the like though..

A British pound is about 2 US dollars (1.96 USD if you want to be anal about it).

So if you think 599 USD sounds bad, imagine a PS3 for nearly $850.

Granted, the wii's still about $360. The XB360 premium costs 280 GBP ($560ish) and the core costs 190 GBP ($380ish).

If you're wondering what the 20GB PS3's price is...well, there is none.

Well, it didn't do great, but it didn't do bad.

That's probably not too surprising because it's region free, and the Brits are extremely tired of having to import systems and software from the US. The European division of just about every country has difficulty getting things to Europe very fast due to the amount of translation work required to cover every language spoken in Europe. That in turns frustrates the lights out of everyone there who speaks English.

This should, if nothing else, throw some weight into Sony's face about the power of region-free systems. Of course the irony is that they pissed off an equal number of Brits when they shut down Lik-Sang for PSP importing.

Of course it's going to do well when it's the first week. You didn't see PS3 games topping the sales charts in the US last November because (A) Wii launched at the same time and (B) There were several big-name titles being released at the same time for 360, PS2, DS, etc. Here in March it has the spotlight mainly to itself for the Euro launch.

Of course it's going to do well when it's the first week. You didn't see PS3 games topping the sales charts in the US last November because (A) Wii launched at the same time and (B) There were several big-name titles being released at the same time for 360, PS2, DS, etc. Here in March it has the spotlight mainly to itself for the Euro launch.

C) A lot of systems were headed to Ebay so no one was buying games.

D) There weren't any games really worth a damn except for Resistance, while the Britain launch recieved a more rebust lineup.

Well, it didn't do great, but it didn't do bad.

That's probably not too surprising because it's region free, and the Brits are extremely tired of having to import systems and software from the US. The European division of just about every country has difficulty getting things to Europe very fast due to the amount of translation work required to cover every language spoken in Europe. That in turns frustrates the lights out of everyone there who speaks English.

This should, if nothing else, throw some weight into Sony's face about the power of region-free systems. Of course the irony is that they pissed off an equal number of Brits when they shut down Lik-Sang for PSP importing.

While you make a good point about the "region free" aspect....it doesn't really make much sense, still.

First, imagine you're a Brit with the money to spend on a PS3 and that you care about region free gaming.

Let's see....you could import a region-free PS3 from the United States or Japan, where they have plenty. Heck, importing a US one would give you access to PS2 games you couldn't play on your Europe PS2 anyway. Total cost is going to be about 300 GBP + applicable taxes and shipping. Or, even *less* if you settle for the 20 GB model.

Or you could wait...and wait...and wait...and buy a Europe PS3 for 425 GBP, which pretty much plays no PS2 games on it at all.

Oh Great Britain, you're finally becoming crafty consumers!

FWIW, I'm not seeing the PS3 launch as a major success over here. I had a look at the stock in one shop over here: they had 143 PS3s in stock, whereas there were no Wiis. It seems like Sony may have overestimated the demand in the UK, as every shop has a good supply of PS3s on sale. On the other hand, there are no Wiis available.

Could end up being bad for Sony judging by how big a hit they're taking on each console even if they're sold.

Although it's being touted as the most successful launch over here, everybody who wants one already has one, so don't expect it to transition into cotinued sales.

I bought a new Sixaxis controller while mine is at Sony getting fixed/getting a new one. Anyway, the thing doesn't come with a USB cord! WTF is that about?

Fuckin cheap Sony.

We're moved to tears by your plight, Mole.

It can still play blu-ray discs, right? That's all you wanted it for.

Considering the high cost of the system and the fact that you need to BUY AN ACCESSORY TO USE OLD MEMORY CARDS ON IT (but thanks for the other ports on the 60 gig, Sony. That's really useful), it shouldn't be surprising Sony is nickle and diming as much as they can over the system.

Of course, each of the companies is doing that to some extent.

We're moved to tears by your plight, Mole.

It can still play blu-ray discs, right? That's all you wanted it for.

Considering the high cost of the system and the fact that you need to BUY AN ACCESSORY TO USE OLD MEMORY CARDS ON IT (but thanks for the other ports on the 60 gig, Sony. That's really useful), it shouldn't be surprising Sony is nickle and diming as much as they can over the system.

Of course, each of the companies is doing that to some extent.

Well I play games now, so yeah.

But it still sucks.

Nothing will beat Microsoft's hard drives. But, it's Microsoft afterall.

$100 Wi-fi accessory for 360?

Oh yeah...120 GB price. Carry on.

You mean sales dropped the week after launch? I bet that has never happend with anything ever.

Sony has announced that (at least in the US), the 20 GB PS3 is dead. So, speculate.

Is Sony planning a PS3 "elite?"

Either way, is a price drop imminent?

How lame is it if there isn't?

Does this effect your decision to buy/not buy one?

Why the #&(!^ does David Jaffe swear so &%)-)@#>ing much?

Do you know the Polygon Man?

Why the #&(!^ does David Jaffe swear so &%)-)@#>ing much?

Tested positive with heavy "LOL" response from the moron teen demographic who think a good game is the one with the most blood and swearing in it.

The people with the least valuable things to say often say them the loudest.

damn, I was in Bestbuy a while ago after i got off of work and they had like 3 or 4 PS3's in stock. I was tempted to get one but decided not too. I have a 360 already and am happy with it, but the PS3 despite alot of negative press warranted or not is grabbing my attention. Especially with the Blu Ray.

My question is, Is Blu Ray worth getting for a 42" LCD 720P tv? Should I pick this bad boy up?

Yeah, but it all depends on the movies you like because the PQ is about equal on both. If you're a big fan of Universal and the Weinstien Company movies, then HD-DVD is what you want because they only support HD-DVD. Sony, Fox, Disney, and Lionsgate support Blu-Ray. Warner and Paramount support both.

I went from HD-DVD to BR because of the movies. I wanted more movies on BR than on HD-DVD, so I dropped HD-DVD. HD-DVD does have better extras than BR at the moment because of problems with BD-Java, which is the software that allows PIP on BR players. BR does have better sound with Uncompressed PCM, but you need an HDMI receiver to get it.

http://forums.dvdfile.com/showthread.php?t=59198 - A list of HD and BR movies.

So they're getting rid of the 20 gig PS3s.

They say it's because it only sold at a 1 to 10 ratio 20 gig : 60 gig. But I recall that they were STOCKED 1 : 4 :: 20 gig : 60 gig. Plus early adapters are going to get the best possible system. People who just want MGS are gonna get the cheapest system they can.

Honestly, the fact is that the 60 gig system did NOT cost $100 more than the 20 gig, so they're trying to cut their losses, but they actually just made the new XBox seem reasonable, let alone the 20 gig Xbox.

Sony is so fucked.

Well my PS2 finally kicked the bucket, well sort of.......a couple of weeks ago I was playing Madden 2007 with some friends and the PS2 was in the upright position and the thing fell over onto the side. The game froze naturally, and I couldn't get the game to work ever since. At first I thought it was just the game, but after further investigation, it is the PS2's DVD player that broke, so I can still play non-DVD games, which pretty much leaves me with crappy options. It's kinda weak how small of a collision with the floor it took to break the player, but then again I am one of the fortunate few to have bought the PS2 at launch and have it still working to this day(well until now).......so umm yeah a 360 or PS3 is coming soon to my house.......