TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Killers - Sam's Town

Guest Felonies!
I'm sick of hearing this compared to Springsteen. In my opinion, it automatically pigeonholes the band. "When You Were Young" is one of the finest pop singles to be released in a while, and the whole album has a timeless sound. This is their "Rattle and Hum".

Wouldn't they need a War, Unforgettable Fire, and Joshua Tree first before they can have their bombastic and risky departure? Or at least more than, you know, one lame single? (Good response, Edwin. I also would've accepted "the God I believe in ain't short of bad 80s synthesizers, MISTER!")

As flawed as R&H is (very), there's a lot of stuff on there that I like. "Van Diemen's Land" is pretty cool; I did some research and apparently that was the old name of Tasmania when it was a British penal colony. So that's kind of neat.

The lyrical content of Sam's Town is blatantly Springsteen, but the tunes really arn't. The little crescendo around the 1:50 mark of When You Were Young is probably a nod to 'Born to Run' but that's probably as far as it goes. I would say that Flowers tries to imitate Springsteen's vocals on the Born to Run album as well (Springsteen was trying to imitate Roy Orbison) at times.

And not enough to "Van Diemen's Land," which I also really dig and which doesn't sound like a U2 song at all. That's part of why I like Rattle and Hum: there's a bunch of stuff that feels unique and out of place for them. The other part is that it's so relentlessly cheesy and probably the peak of Bono's retardation on record ("Artists...against...apartHEID!"). Oh, and "All I Want Is You," which is just wonderful.

We're giving way too much attention to the Killers, don't you think?

You're right, let's not talk about popular bands and just discuss obscure indie artists that only college boys listen to!

Guest Felonies!

We're giving way too much attention to the Killers, don't you think?

You're right, let's not talk about popular bands and just discuss obscure indie artists that only college boys listen to!

I wanted to discuss more Rattle and Hum--an album from a band that practically everyone listens to--but don't let that stop you from being a fucking tool.

Indie bands are as bad as Peter Jennings.

(snort)

Fine, we'll talk about the Killers. Here ya go: I enjoy dancing to "Somebody Told Me" when I'm drunk and I thought "Mr. Brightside" was okay until I saw the video, which made me roll my eyes more than was healthy and will forever be associated with the music. They strike me as a completely passionless band in everything I've seen them say and do, particularly live performances. The debut falls off hard after the first few tracks, but I don't mind those songs. And finally, nothing I've heard off the new album has changed my general opinion of them. Won't begrudge them their success, though they really need to do something about that facial hair.

Guest Felonies!

That video was ridiculously bad. I saw it once.

Due to Vyce's anger about my dismissal of the Killers, I'm going to picture him driving around yelling "HE-DUH-ZINT-LOOK-A-THING-LIKE-JEEEEEEE-ZUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!"

I've said it beofre, but they are a guilty pleasure of mine. I've heard some songs on the new album though, and I'm having a bit trouble warming up to it. Granted, I know they didn't want to do another Hot Fuss, but it's not clicking with me, mainly because well, the synths just don't click here. They worked on Hot Fuss because of the New-Wave feeling of the album. Here, the use of synths just doesn't work on attempts on traditional American rock. Oh, and they need to get rid of the facial hair.

At least it's better than DJ Shadow's new album. That one really sucks.

Fine, we'll talk about the Killers. Here ya go: I enjoy dancing to "Somebody Told Me" when I'm drunk and I thought "Mr. Brightside" was okay until I saw the video, which made me roll my eyes more than was healthy and will forever be associated with the music. They strike me as a completely passionless band in everything I've seen them say and do, particularly live performances. The debut falls off hard after the first few tracks, but I don't mind those songs. And finally, nothing I've heard off the new album has changed my general opinion of them. Won't begrudge them their success, though they really need to do something about that facial hair.

You just dont like 'em cuz theyre popular!

I can never get into Rattle and Hum as an album. I like some of the songs, but as an album it just never seems to end.

I agree. I also noticed the last time I listened to it that some of the tracks seem really rough. I know it's a live album and all, but I really don't like how some of the tracks were mixed. It overall sounds very substandard for a U2 album, I guess.

There are some highlights on the album, but I guess the blues and rock covers done by U2 kind of grate on me after a while.

Just as I finished posting that, a black cloud drifted over my house, and the army of true metal warriors came and slayed my family.

All to the sound of blast beats and treble-boosted guitars

Okay this has to be some kind of joke or something. I mean, come on

"The sky used to be the limit, and it's not anymore. It's about 200 feet, and beyond that people think you're being comical. People ask me if we were trying to be funny with this record because it's big and exciting and confident. And my answer is, 'I don't think Beethoven was trying to be funny.' We're taking it seriously — we can laugh at ourselves, of course — but rock and roll used to be about not having limits, not having your box, and that's disappeared somewhere along the way. We're trying to bring it back."

Guest Felonies!

I don't know if I dislike Bruce Springsteen himself, but I hate the larger construct of Bruce Springsteen, the whole "working-class rock and roll" thing, making his songs into populist anthems that are played exactly at 5 p.m. in Cleveland: at the beginning of "Born to Run," you can hear just where some hack DJ is like "well, it's quittin' time in the city by the lake once again, and like always...this song is for you. For everyone who's had an honest day of work...let's head on home! IT'S THE BOSS: BORN TO RUN. 5.01 on J-Rock 102!"

"Born to Run" is an awful song, though. Maybe I don't like Springsteen.

EDIT: I was reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs during class yesterday morning, obv. Still had a little bit in my system, I guess.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
most ridiculous looking band ever. look at them

BOWIE.jpg

Since ridiculous is par for the course in black metal imagery.