TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

We Have Us An Iron Man

A few plot contrivances...

Not an expert on defense contractors, but don't they have to account for every round of ammo to planes etc? I just don't buy that they could double deal under the table.

Jeff Bridges' has evidence that is sooo easy for Starks accident to find in a few clicks.

Jeff Bridges' character going completely off the deep end. I got a big robo-suit, but I've blown my standing in the world, now what?

Anywho, Robert Downey Jr is the best thing about the movie. Hope for stronger bad guys in the next one.

Totally awesome movie. Bridges was awesome in the role and out did himself. I was most pleased with Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. He hit the role out of the park. In some movies the humor seemed forced, but in this film it actually seemed to work.

This is easily going to be added to my DVD library when it is released.

Marvel Studios Sets Four More Release Dates!

Source: Marvel Entertainment

May 5, 2008

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios' first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $104.2 million domestically and over $201 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios' feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn's Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright's Ant-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

In a conference call this morning, Marvel Studios' David Maisel said that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor. Regarding more "Hulk" movies, Maisel said "We definitely plan on continuing." He added that development continues on Spider-Man 4. "I can't give any other updates other than to say it's in development and everybody's excited about 'Spider-Man 4,'" he said.

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)

Awesome.

I hope they don't use that as the title for the Captain America movie. It's incorrect.

Not if you go by the Ultimate Avengers storyline. But either way, I'm sure they mean it as it pertains to the movies. Ie: Cap is the first "movie" Avenger and not referencing specific comic storylines, etc.

i definitely think the avengers movie is coming out...just how marvel had a "universe" via comics...they seem to be doing the groundwork for a marvel movie universe...the avengers would just be the culmination of that...

I watched iron man again yesterday...friggin sweet...the sequel is gonna be mega, and the eventual avengers movie will be ever better...cant wait...

p.s. anyone else see this tony stark contest

Edgar Wright, as in Spaced/Shaun of the Dead, is going to do an Ant Man film? Oh dear 0o

Iron Man was amazing though, think its probably my 2nd favorite Super Hero film after Batman Begins now. Really looking forward to the franchise being set up. Not sure I'd be too keen on a Thor and Ant Man film though, those type of heroes are just too 80's/60's based for my liking.

Technically Ant Man and Wasp, I'm sure.

Well. Pym is a tad more important to the MU than Puck and is one of the founding members of the Avengers, so they're setting him up for that flick.

Nevermind, how is Ant Man/Hank Pym even getting a film? What's next? A film about Puck from Alpha Flight?

Hopefully they don't make a movie about Northstar.

Exactly, how is a tiny guy (and his bee girlfriend or whatever) going to carry a movie? Unless they went completely on the comedy angle. Maybe they can cast Adam Sandler as Ant Man.

I see on Wikipedia that's exactly what they're planning.

Edgar Wright plans to direct an action-adventure film with comedic elements, insisting that Ant-Man would not be a spoof.[1] The script has been written by Wright and Joe Cornish, who plan to include Henry Pym, Scott Lang, and Eric O'grady as major characters, with Pym as Ant-Man in the 60's in Tales to Astonish style, and a flashforward to Lang as Ant-Man's successor in the 80's/90's, and then finally to the deviant yet lovable Eric O'Grady of contemporary times.[2]

On February 9, Wright said that the project was in "a holding pattern" while the script was revised, with casting yet to begin. The director reported that he would have news for the film in a few months.[3] He has been researching nanotechnology for the film.[4] As of March 2008, Wright told Empire magazine that a second draft of the script is being written. Known for being a comedic writer, the director noted that the film would not be overtly comedic, but that it would be "more of a full-on action adventure sci-fi film but with a comedic element."[5]

No Wasp as of yet. While I do think he's worthy of a film, I don't have a good feeling about it.

They could really do a lot with Pym's character in the movie, making him the flawed hero that gives the mantel over to Lang when he just can't handle it- or maybe he just goes nuts, and Lang steps in to stop him.

Edgar Wright plans to direct an action-adventure film with comedic elements, insisting that Ant-Man would not be a spoof.[1] The script has been written by Wright and Joe Cornish, who plan to include Henry Pym, Scott Lang, and Eric O'grady as major characters, with Pym as Ant-Man in the 60's in Tales to Astonish style, and a flashforward to Lang as Ant-Man's successor in the 80's/90's, and then finally to the deviant yet lovable Eric O'Grady of contemporary times.[2]

On February 9, Wright said that the project was in "a holding pattern" while the script was revised, with casting yet to begin. The director reported that he would have news for the film in a few months.[3] He has been researching nanotechnology for the film.[4] As of March 2008, Wright told Empire magazine that a second draft of the script is being written. Known for being a comedic writer, the director noted that the film would not be overtly comedic, but that it would be "more of a full-on action adventure sci-fi film but with a comedic element."[5]

No Wasp as of yet. While I do think he's worthy of a film, I don't have a good feeling about it.

Man, the writer of Spaced/Shaun of the Dead, teaming up with Joe Cornish (Joe from Adam & Joe)? This is just too surreal for me. For anyone not too sure who 'Adam & Joe' are, they came to fame in the early 90s on Channel 4, after they're homemade TV show was picked up on the channel's latenight style public TV section.

They mainly took the piss out of movie's using lego characters, and cuddly toys, as well as on the street character piss takes. One of the funniest bits I remember them doing was going into a cornershop and eating all the 'free' bits off food.

Here's some youtube thing: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type=

I agree with BL. I see no audience outside of this movie aside from diehards. Ant-Man should be someone introduced in the actual Avengers movie, and if people love him that much, THEN give him his own vehicle or beef his part up for the sequel..

I don't think it really matters that in the Marvel Comic Universe that he's a founding member of the Avengers and an important, albeit supporting, character.. I just don't think he translates well enough to deserve his own movie.

I guess the Puck comparison was a little unfair, sure, but maybe this is better.. it'd be like a movie for Beast and only Beast. No other X-Men, just Beast. It works for Wolverine, yes. But not Beast, IMO. It just doesn't make sense to me to give supporting characters their own movies when there's really no need. *shrug*

I recently found out Tom Cruise wanted to play Iron Man. I can only imagine how this movie would've turned out had that happened.

Finally got around to seeing the movie today and there is nothing really else I can add other than what has already been said. It was awesome.

I was curious because I know I started this topic way back when, so I wanted to see how long ago that was. I checked back and it was September 06, then I started reading some of the posts of people thinking Downey was going to be horrible. Kinda funny looking back, especially considering how awesome he ended up being.

Wow, Joe Cornish? Really? That's so out of left field. I know that he and Wright are friends, but writing a big budget Hollywood movie? Certainly come a long way since he was making spoof films with toys.

Saw the film yesterday and loved it. Great stuff, everyone was on top form. Although i wrecked the movie for myself as everytime Bridges came on screen I thought to myself, "The Dude abides!".

Great after credit sequence too. There we're only 5 of us in the cinema, but everyone of us marked out like lil' bitches.

They're not going to make an Avengers movie when there's more money to be made by doing solo movies for each character

The plan, last I heard, was to do both...

They're not going to make an Avengers movie when there's more money to be made by doing solo movies for each character

The plan, last I heard, was to do both...

If they do it I'll be first in line to see both. But I think superteams like The Avengers and The Justice League will never be made into team movies when there is so much potential to be made in individual movies.

Hope I'm wrong though

Just saw this last night. I agree- it was awesome.

After seeing the tag at the end, I really don't see how they wouldn't be doing an Avengers movie.

Fury

dropped the Avenger name, even, and with the rumored cameo of

Stark

in the Incredible Hulk, it seems pretty well set up.

Just as long as they have the same actors in The Avengers it will be awesome.

So:

Robert Downey Jr - Tony Stark

Samuel L Jackson - Nick Fury

and if he's in there:

Edward Norton - Bruce Banner

Somebody did a movie version of the cartoon opening. Just awesome.

Some worrying news regarding the direction upper management at Marvel Movie Studio's seems to be taking. Looks like they are subscribing to Fox's method of property management.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_c...2&Itemid=99

IESB Breaking News: Will Jon Favreau Direct Iron Man 2?!

Written by Robert Sanchez

Tuesday, 10 June 2008

You won't believe what Marvel Studios is contemplating, shame on you David Maisel!

Marvel Studios is sitting on top of the world with the recent success of Iron Man so far taking in over $535 million in worldwide box office receipts. So why hasn’t Marvel locked in Jon Favreau to direct the sequel Iron Man 2?

It's been known since the release of Iron Man that director Jon Favreau had not yet been officially signed on to direct Iron Man 2. Kevin Feige during our edit bay visit of the Incredible Hulk mentioned that they were in negotiations, several producers have confirmed the same to several different news outlets, so the question is why isn't he locked in yet?

About a week ago, the IESB was tipped off by a junior source at Marvel Studios that there had been some delays with Jon's negotiations regarding the sequel. When asked why I was told that Marvel and Favreau hadn't been able to come to terms regarding money.

At first I thought my source was full of shit and I dismissed it as a rumor. This last Friday I was contacted by another source at Marvel and this one, let's just say, is much higher up on the food chain, and told me that the chairman of Marvel Studios David Maisel who has been in charge of negotiating new terms with Favreau is being cheap and not willing to pay a fair directors' fee.

Favreau was a bargain to begin with, he is after all a fairly new director even though he has had several commercially successful films under his belt when he was brought aboard Iron Man for a steal.

Don't know exact numbers but I am sure that it wasn’t a Michael Bay/Brett Ratner/Bryan Singer paycheck. He had to prove himself after all and looking at what the box office and DVD sales are going to bring in, around $750-800 million, I'd say he did his job well, very well.

So according to our source at Marvel, Jon was expecting a moderate bump in his fee for the sequel but apparently Marvel has other plans.

Our source continues that Maisel believes Iron Man 2 will be a success regardless of Favreau's involvement and feels the studio does not need to pay Jon a higher fee for his services.

This is the most disappointing news that I have heard coming out of Hollywood in years, is Marvel out of their Vulcan mind?

So bottom line, Jon Favreau has not been locked in to direct Iron Man 2 for the simple reason that Marvel is being cheap - this is 100% accurate folks, no bullshit.

This is completely disheartening. Iron Man was the first real Marvel production on their own two feet and Favreau came through like a champ. He gave credibility to the studio, hell, I'd even say he MADE the studio.

If that movie had bombed and he hadn't done his job right Marvel wouldn't be making the plans for the future like they are now. They would be going back to making films with other studio partners like they always have.

It's time for Marvel to return the favor - give the guy his fee (which I hear is the regular standard director's fee, no more), bring him back and kick some ass with IRON MAN 2!

I've contacted Marvel Studios who quickly asked us to contact their publicists over at Principal Communication Group for comment.

In regards to the March production start date that Terrence Howard talked about in his interview with Military.com, Paul Pflug from Principal Communications gave us a standard "no comment."

So what about Jon coming back to direct Iron Man 2?

The official statement is that they are still negotiating with Favreau.

Interesting…negotiations huh? Take a look at what Favreau posted on his official MySpace page just yesterday:

It’s been five weeks since the one and only phone call my reps have gotten from Marvel. I know their hands are full with the Hulk and I’m sure they will get into it shortly, as they tell me they intend to. I ran into the Marvel guys at the Hulk premiere and everyone sounded eager to get to work on IM2.

I am concerned, however, about the announced release date of April 2010. Neither Robert nor I were consulted about this and we are both concerned about how realistic the date is in light of the fact that we have no script, story or even writers hired yet. This genre of movie is best when it is done thoughtfully and with plenty of preparation. It might be better to follow the BB/DK, X/X2 three year release pattern than to scramble for a date. It is difficult because there are no Marvel 09 releases and they need product, but I also think we owe it to the fans to have a great version of IM2 and, at this point, we would have less time to make it than the first one."

One call five weeks ago is not what I consider "negotiations."

Enough said. I have double checked with my sources again at Marvel who are sticking to their story, negotiations - if you want to call them that - are not going well.

What do you think? Email me at [email protected] and I'll be sure to send your thoughts on to Marvel Studios…

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37037

Regarding the rumors that Marvel won't bring back Jon Favreau for IRON MAN 2...

Hey folks, Harry here... IESB.net broke a story about how they're hearing that the reason Jon Favreau isn't secured to direct IRON MAN 2 is that Marvel Studios Head Honcho - David Maisel is skimping and being cheap regards to making Jon Favreau's deal.

I wish I could come on here and say I know otherwise, but sadly I know otherwise. There is a very very strong chance that unless David Maisel pulls his head out of his ass and work on this deal - you'll see Jon Favreau directing anything but an IRON MAN 2 or an AVENGERS movie.

While the details of Favreau's deal on the first IRON MAN are not public knowledge - he was paid an upfront fee - with real backend participation. Given the success that is clearly happening with IRON MAN - this deal is going to reward MARVEL STUDIOS greatly.

That said - MARVEL should look back at their own Comic History - their history of fucking over the talent and artists that created much of their library often resulted in those artist leaving the company... creating incredibly profitable characters for other companies and for themselves - resulting in lost revenue for MARVEL that had they treated their artists fairly and justly - rewarding those that brought in the rewards for the company... well, maybe Marvel's comic branch wouldn't have been through such a grotesque roller coaster ride.

Jon Favreau wants to do more IRON MAN movies. He would love to play in the Marvel Universe. Sadly... David Maisel is penny pinching his own company into a malignant purplenurple.

MARVEL STUDIOS has - officially two movies under their belt. IRON MAN & THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Both of which are outstanding films that do a better job of exploiting their characters than anything the Studio system has done so far. However - MARVEL INVESTORS - watch carefully what happens here. If you see MARVEL unwilling to do what is necessary to keep the talent in play - then forget about MARVEL STUDIOS becoming the Pixar of Superhero films.

PIXAR is the model of how to do this. They not only developed internal talent, but hired great talent from other companies - and they're doing everything in their power to keep those incredibly talented and creative people happily working in house.

Running a studio and creating franchises is all about Talent management - and if MARVEL doesn't step up and do the right thing - then all our dreams about a great MARVEL UNIVERSE will begin to wash away.

When I brought this up with Kevin Feige at the Austin screening of THE INCREDIBLE HULK - he said they would be working with Favreau - but that isn't what I've heard from other sources - and it isn't what IESB is hearing either.

The dream of MARVEL STUDIOS is that we don't see stupid decisions like what we saw happen with Fox on X-MEN - where they resort to bringing in "talent" to take over and destroy the work that was already in play.

MARVEL has the opportunity to create franchises that last - not for a few years, but for decades. But they have to make the right decisions and be willing to work with the artists that will grow and evolve the properties into franchises that are worth existing. When an artists' run grows stale, that's when you change horses - not after the first win.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/15083/1/...DOWN/Page1.html

ARE JON FAVREAU AND MARVEL HAVING A COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN?

By Devin Faraci

Today word got out that Marvel wants to get Iron Man 2 into theaters by April of 2010, which would mean the movie would start shooting by early 2009, which is actually sooner than it seems. Marvel's got real hard on for their movie properties at the moment - Iron Man was obviously a huge hit, and the buzz on The Incredible Hulk has done a 180 (now that people have actually seen the thing), plus they have this whole intense five year plan, like they're the Chairman Mao of comic book movies.

Jon Favreau's not so sure about all this, though. Talking with fans on MySpace, Favs showed some real concern about rushing Iron Man 2 into theaters just to meet a date.

I am concerned, however, about the announced release date of April 2010. Neither Robert nor I were consulted about this and we are both concerned about how realistic the date is in light of the fact that we have no script, story or even writers hired yet. This genre of movie is best when it is done thoughtfully and with plenty of preparation. It might be better to follow the BB/DK, X/X2 three year release pattern than to scramble for a date. It is difficult because there are no Marvel 09 releases and they need product, but I also think we owe it to the fans to have a great version of IM2 and, at this point, we would have less time to make it than the first one.

What's this? A filmmaker concerned about the quality of his movie? Unthinkable.

Of course Favs is dead right - too often movies get thrown through development and production just so there will be product. That's how you end up with a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And it's why so many sequels stink - the original had years to marinate and get developed, but the need to pump part two out with the quickness gets in the way of things like a script and all that jazz.

That's sort of disconcerting, of course; Marvel's ambitious plans continue to fill me with healthy skepticism (and also much excitement, to be fair), and I wonder if their ironclad dates are going to get in the way of developing these films as well as they can be developed. Iron Man 2 could be only the tip of the rushed iceberg here.

Meanwhile, something else Favs says also makes me concerned. A couple of weeks back he was on the Howard Stern show and said that Marvel hadn't signed him on officially for part 2. While visiting the editing bay for The Incredible Hulk I had the chance to ask Marvel's Kevin Feige about this, and he told me that it was standard practice to not sign directors up front for sequels, and that the studio would start negotiating with Favreau soon. Well, that was two weeks ago and they still haven't gotten in touch:

It’s been five weeks since the one and only phone call my reps have gotten from Marvel. I know their hands are full with the Hulk and I’m sure they will get into it shortly, as they tell me they intend to. I ran into the Marvel guys at the Hulk premiere and everyone sounded eager to get to work on IM2.

Why is it that the Marvel guys are so gung ho about setting dates and shit but not in getting their creative ducks lined up? So far they've been incredible about hiring interesting directors (and the names I've heard bandied about for things like Runaways continue to impress with their boldness) and actors, but could the sudden flush of success get the better of the studio?

It seems evident that the lack of communication from Marvel is bothering Favreau, especially as it relates to making big decisions about the film. If Favs isn't signed and the studio insists on a rushed schedule, might he not come back? That seems like a real possibility to me - Iron Man has firmly established Favreau as a playa in the industry, backing up the big Elf bucks. He would probably have no problem finding new, very high profile gigs now if he moved off Iron Man 2. Let's hope that everybody gets on the phone and figures things out, and that Brett Ratner isn't brought in for IM2.

Hopefully the bad press that is beginning to break will make the execs at Marvel Movie Studio pull their heads in. Keeping their properties in-house was meant to prevent this sort of rubbish from happening.

So, for now, Iron Man 2 has:

No Favaru

No Downey Jr.

No Story.

and No Script.

But it does have a release date of April 2010.

Oh dear.