TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

I bet by 2010, the Yankees payroll is $300 million, and the team will include both Jason Schmidt and Jim Thome. And A-Rod will hit .300 with 45 HRs and 140 RBI and make 32 errors and get booed all season.

Like I've said before, I'd difficult to assign blame. First off, blame for what? Not winning the World Series? Almost all the teams that have won lately were one year phenomenons. Yes, this team has been a disappointment, but what other team can claim better results over the last five seasons? The Red Sox won a series, and their front office has been bashed for this season's failures. The Marlins did a good job, but finished sub-.500 and suck at the business end. The White Sox finished third and were considered a disappointment.

You just can't EXPECT to win a World Series in this age. It's too difficult.

On another note, here are the top ten expected Free Agents, as seen by Win Shares...

1. Alfonso Soriano (LF)

2. Barry Bonds (LF)

3. Carlos Lee (LF)

4. Aramis Ramirez (3B)

5. Frank Thomas (DH)

6. Gary Matthews Jr. (CF)

7. Ray Durham (2B)

8. Dave Roberts (LF)

9. Barry Zito (SP)

10. Nomar Garciaparra (1B)

Dave Roberts is a tremendously underrated player. I'd love to see him leading off for the Phils. Move Burrell to right field where his arm would remain an asset. This is a good year to be in the market for outfielders, but a terrible year to look for pitching and infielders.

I was actually thinking the Cubs shouldn't worry about re-signing Pierre and instead, dunk the money into securing Ramirez and picking up Roberts at a fraction of what Pierre would cost. Guy has always been a thorn in the Cubs' side.

I was actually thinking the Cubs shouldn't worry about re-signing Pierre and instead, dunk the money into securing Ramirez and picking up Roberts at a fraction of what Pierre would cost. Guy has always been a thorn in the Cubs' side.

Or they could trade for A-Rod and stick him at second.

Or they could trade for A-Rod and stick him at second.

But then John Mabry, Freddy Bynum, Henry Blanco, Derrek Lee, that Theriot kid, Bob Howry, Caesar Izturis, Ryu Huk Yu, and Larry Rothschild would have no position to play.

Guest Felonies!

Hey, Dave Roberts is a damn good idea. Too bad Hendry will half-ass that signing attempt as usual.

Guest NYankees

How much would Aramis Ramirez get on the open market? 12 million per year? I view him as a great and cheap replacement for Arod but that isn't going to happen.

Guest Felonies!

Average fielder, can't hustle for shit. If we get Girardi, he's as good as gone because he won't want to exert himself.

How much would Aramis Ramirez get on the open market? 12 million per year? I view him as a great and cheap replacement for Arod but that isn't going to happen.

I can't even think of something to say regarding that statement.

So where does everyone think that A-Rod will end up next year? Will he get one more chance with the Yankees? A new start in the National League? Somewhere on the west coast? This could be one of the more interesting subplots heading into this offseason.

I think Anaheim will get him to get that big bat behind Vlad. They have some young players so they don't have to give up Vlad and I think they'll benefit from it.

Of course, I might die laughing if we get a Yanks v. Anaheim series and A-Rod has, like, the best offensive series ever. Some ridiculous seven homer, 18 rbi series that makes Yankee fans want to kill themselves. I'd laugh.

$12 million/yr is a "cheap replacement"? Must be fun to play baseball with monopoly money.

Guest Paul

It's hard to predict, right now. Until we know if Torre keeps his job or not.

This will all overshadow the playoffs and WS. Steinbrenners master plan.

Yeah that sounded bad.

Rodriguez for Ervin Santana, Chone Figgins, Scot Shields and Brandon Wood?

Doubt you'll get that much. Remember that the Yanks aren't buyers here, they're sellers. The fans seem to be done with A-Rod and if it gets out that management really wants to move him, they aren't going to be able to command top dollar for him.

Yeah that sounded bad.

Rodriguez for Ervin Santana, Chone Figgins, Scot Shields and Brandon Wood?

You'd be extremely lucky to get Santana and Wood for A-Rod. The Angels wouldn't give that up for Manny last summer. I know A-Rod is a superior all-around player, but you're talking about two extremely talented players who haven't entered their prime yet.

There will be a lot of teams in the bidding for Rodriguez, which could drive the price way up, but they are probably going to end up with a #2 starter and a B+ prospect at best.

Teams won't be giving up major talent for A-Rod unless the Yankees end up eating 75% of what he's owed for the next 3 years. Trading a team cancer/albatross of a contract usually doesn't get you equal value since everyone knows you're trying to get RID of the player in question. Just look at what the Phillies got in the Bobby Abreu trade.

Teams won't be giving up major talent for A-Rod unless the Yankees end up eating 75% of what he's owed for the next 3 years. Trading a team cancer/albatross of a contract usually doesn't get you equal value since everyone knows you're trying to get RID of the player in question. Just look at what the Phillies got in the Bobby Abreu trade.

But due to the money that is kicked in by the Rangers, A-Rod is only owed $64 million over 4 years, for an AAV of $16 million. That's less than Barry Zito, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Alfonso Soriano will likely get on this year's FA market. If you consider teams that have enough payroll coming off the books this winter or have the capacity to absorb that deal, and have a hole at 3B or SS, you get something like the following:

Seattle, LA Angels, Chicago White Sox, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, LA Dodgers, San Diego, San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Chicago Cubs and Washington. That makes a decent market if you ask me.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but I could see A-Rod coming to Houston. There's an obvious need for a big bat in the order besides Berkman. There's also an extreme lack of production coming from both 3rd base and SS. And there's alot of money coming off the books for the 'Stros. And there's a general outcry that some major deal needs to go down, as it's been a good while since the FO pulled off something major (Randy Johnson in 99, Pettitte/Clemens in 04). While the Astros don't have the depth in the minors that other clubs do (the Angels, Dodgers, etc.), they do have some upper tier pitching prospects and could throw Ensberg and Lidge in there somewhere for whatever reason. And A-Rod has played in Texas before and he owns a bunch of used luxury car dealerships in Houston (As an aside, last year when he got the MVP, his billboards called his dealership "The MVP of Used Car Dealerships"; I'm not sure if they're going to change it this year to "The Used Car Dealership That Strikes Out Alot in the Clutch and Only Hits Homeruns When It Doesn't Matter".) Yeah, probably grasping at straws and pulling shit outta air, but I could see A-Rod coming to Houston.