TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Friday Night Lights...

NBC TO KEEP 'LIGHTS' ON FOR SECOND SEASON, ADDS NEWCOMERS

By Brian Ford Sullivan (TFC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- With just days to go until its upfront presentation, NBC has confirmed its Peabody-awarding winning drama "Friday Night Lights" will return for a second season.

NBC entertainment president Kevin Reilly admitted last month (read the story), the show would likely return with the only caveat being where to schedule the series.

In any case, it appears Reilly and company have found a place for the series on its 2007-08 schedule.

New game plan for 'Friday Night'

Updated 10h 5m ago | Comments 2 | Recommend 4 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

Enlarge NBC

The coach and his wife: Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton.

By William Keck, USA TODAY

BEVERLY HILLS — Now that it appears NBC is going to give the struggling Friday Night Lights a second chance, its tight-knit cast can shift from trying to save the show to getting people to watch it.

Before an event at the Museum of Television & Radio this spring, star Kyle Chandler, 41, and many of his cast members were confident they'd return for a second year — which is not to say each didn't find ways to support the show.

Scott Porter, who plays paraplegic quarterback Jason Street, posted Lights videos and behind-the-scenes clips on his MySpace page. Porter, 27, now encourages people to watch episodes at nbc.com or itunes, tune into summer reruns (starting May 27) or check out the Season 1 DVD (due in late summer). "Anyone who didn't watch because they were scared they couldn't catch up, there are now so many ways."

Minka Kelly, whose character, Lyla, is at the center of a love triangle, is proud of Season 1. "But we have so much more to do."

Peter Berg, who created the 2004 film on which the series was based and serves as an executive producer, wants a new time slot for the show, which NBC tried at different times. "It really comes down to that," Berg says. "After Heroes (on Mondays) would be good. Or Sundays at 9 p.m." He'll find out today, when the network announces its fall schedule.

Executive producer Jason Katims says he wrote the season finale with a second year in mind. The team won the state championship, and Coach Taylor (Chandler) accepted a new coaching gig at Texas Methodist University.

The fall story line will advance several months to late summer, with Coach Taylor coaching at that university, while his wife, Tami, and their daughter, Julie, remain in their small town. Tami (Connie Britton), who learned she was pregnant at season's end, will be close to giving birth.

Britton, 39, is looking forward to having the baby next season and likely (says Katims) tackling the topic of postpartum depression.

As for other possible stories, the cast is intrigued by Julie's sex life. Says Zach Gilford, 25, who plays boyfriend Matt: "I think she should lose her virginity to someone else." Aimee Teegarden, who plays the teen, shyly asks, "Why does Julie have to lose her virginity at all?"

Chandler, sounding like Teegarden's real-life dad, wants nothing to do with the topic. "I don't want to even think about my daughter losing her virginity," says Chandler, teasing Gilford: "But if it's not to Matt, that's a benefit."

Scott Porter, who plays paraplegic quarterback Jason Street, posted Lights videos and behind-the-scenes clips on his MySpace page. Porter, 27, now encourages people to watch episodes at nbc.com or itunes, tune into summer reruns (starting May 27) or check out the Season 1 DVD (due in late summer). "Anyone who didn't watch because they were scared they couldn't catch up, there are now so many ways."

Sounds nearly exactly like what NBC told the cast of "The Office" to do after their first season (eg create myspace pages) and also encourage growth by clicking into the itunes/DVD market.

Hopefully the new slot helps keep this show on. Apparently it's close to being on the chopping block :(

Putting it on Friday night won't help matters. I hope it survives but I'm not terribly confident at this point.

If they wanted it to survive, they should put it thursdays at 10.

The ratings would be brutal. I've come around on my thinking about this move, it's better to stick it on friday where expectations aren't as high as other nights.

The Landry angle certainly wasn't what I expected. I love this show.

That was my favorite part of the show. There's so many different ways that storyline can go from here. The New Coach is an asshole, but I totally expected that.

I was more shocked that Landry made the team. I'm not sure how I feel about the Landry/Tyra route. It means Landry will probably be darker this season and I'm not sure if he should be that since he's perfect as the comic foil. It looked as if Julie aged 2-3 years and for the better. I don't think I'm behind the Pro-Christ Lyla but she always was slightly annoying so might as well amp it up.

I was really happy they managed to avoid a freefall with the Landry situation. This season has been fantastic and with a couple of exceptions, the writing as well as the performences have improved even greater.

I really hope FNL doesn't move to ESPN as reports have claimed, even if it'll keep the show around. I can't help but think ESPN would ruin it.

It hasn't happened yet but talks are going on. On one hand, if it keeps the show around and ESPN agrees to not touch/ruin it, I'll be happy since cable ratings expectations aren't as high as networks. The thing is, I don't trust ESPN.

HERE

I download this every week, since its not on over here in the UK. Its one of the best 'Teen Dramas' out there, I use that term lightly. Its not Cliché, its not all about parties and kissing, its very believable. Shame my downloading doesn't boost the viewing figures to 24.

What was the name of the song at the end of the episode? I used the MusicID on my phone, but I didn't get anything. Which is odd because the thing is pretty damn good.

What was the name of the song at the end of the episode? I used the MusicID on my phone, but I didn't get anything. Which is odd because the thing is pretty damn good.

according to someone on IMDB it's Sea Wolf - I Made a Resolution

RIGGINS JUST CAN'T GET A BREAK. Poor guy.

The funny thing is that there is probably about 100 of those type of kids in Texas alone.