TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

The Daily Show/Colbert Report Thread

If there was another thread like this, sorry, I was too lazy to look at the moment. I just wanted to make this to get some thoughts on the shows as they go and opinions and all that jazz we do on this board.

I haven't watched the Daily Show as much as the Colbert Report, but it is still quality television, and Jon Stewart is a great interviewer. One of the best ones I've seen on TV. And he came up with the word Catastrofuck tonight.

Stephen Colbert.... words cannot describe his awesomeness. He had me at Filliam H. Muffman.

I'm an Aussie, so this isn't an American hating on all things foreign, but what's the go with Brits John Oliver and Dave Gorman on the Daily Show now? Especially Oliver, who has taken Rob Cordry's spot as one of the main correspondants? I don't want to sound like a dick, but I don't watch American comedy shows to see British guys talking about American politics.

It just seems out of place, and I don't dig it.

Colbert is the better of the two shows. I can't believe the Today Show took clips of Wexler saying "I like cocaine because it's a fun thing to do" and treated it like this scandalout interview. Nice of Steve to break character to tell them off.

I don't understand how he breaks so much though, he never did on the Daily Show. Nerves I guess. Stewart was super-nervous when he took over TDS.

Colbert is the better of the two shows. I can't believe the Today Show took clips of Wexler saying "I like cocaine because it's a fun thing to do" and treated it like this scandalout interview. Nice of Steve to break character to tell them off.

Can you elaborate? What happened exactly?

Jon Stewart was awesome until he became relevant.

Bah, Craig Kilborn is the only Daily Show host that matters! Why must Jon Stewart pretend to be a journalist?

I'm an Aussie, so this isn't an American hating on all things foreign, but what's the go with Brits John Oliver and Dave Gorman on the Daily Show now? Especially Oliver, who has taken Rob Cordry's spot as one of the main correspondants? I don't want to sound like a dick, but I don't watch American comedy shows to see British guys talking about American politics.

It just seems out of place, and I don't dig it.

Probably because it's hard enough to get people in this country to give a fuck about this country's politics, let alone politics in countries that most people couldn't find on a map.

And if you don't like watching AMERICAN comedy shows to see AMERICAN politics...I don't know what to tell you...

Guest Felonies!

Jon Stewart was awesome until he became relevant.

Bah, Craig Kilborn is the only Daily Show host that matters! Why must Jon Stewart pretend to be a journalist?

I guess you're making fun of me, but I still maintain that the Daily Show was at its best for the first almost-three years after Jon Stewart took over, the show's zenith being Indecision 2000, but never recaptured the magic after 9/11. From there on out it's been a steady decline into just showing Donald Rumsfeld clips and making The Jon Stewart Face to a standing ovation. But what do I know.

The show was at its best when it was just Comedy Central's take on Weekend Update with more absurd features and mid-tier celebrities for the interviews. Now it's a cultural phenomenon, Messrs. Colbert, Carell, and Attell have all moved on, and world leaders appear as guests (and Kerry gets the softest of softballs). Jon Stewart is now some messiah for bored liberal college kids with signs over their dorm room doors that say "george w BUllSHit!!!!", and the quality of the show has suffered. Why write jokes when you can get long-running CNN programs cancelled with your tired smirk act?

Guest Felonies!

Now that I think about it, I think the way times have changed is at fault for the descent of the Daily Show, through no real fault of Stewart or the writers. During that 1999-2001 period, you had Elian Gonzalez and the election fiasco. Perfect fodder, no matter what you are. Having the Republicans run the country was the worst thing that could happen to the Daily Show. That and the world becoming a terrible place to live has shifted the purpose of the show from good-natured ribbing of the world around us to contemptuous mudslinging of the administration, which warranted as it may be, wears thin.

Guest Diablo_Dor

Unfortunately we don't get the Colbert Report here and as the Daily Show is on at 8:30pm the next day it feels like they edit stuff out a tiny bit.

Did anyone else see the "3rd October" show because I don't think I've ever laughed as hard to a guest as I did to Dennis Miller. It was just really strange seeing someone allowed to have a differing opinion on the show and actually allowed to be funny, even if I didn't get a few of his references.

The Mushariff interview recently was probably the weirdest piece of television I think I've ever seen but it was very strange seeing someone that powerful actually having fun.

Does anyone else miss Rob Corduroy? and on the 10/03 show we saw Steve Carrell for the first time that completely took me by surprise.

And if you don't like watching AMERICAN comedy shows to see AMERICAN politics...I don't know what to tell you...

No No No. I love American politics. I just think it's stupid to have a British guy making jokes about it instead of an American.

On July 25, 2006, Colbert took to task some television network morning news shows – specifically NBC's The Today Show and ABC's Good Morning America – for taking out of context comments made by Florida Congressman Robert Wexler on The Colbert Report (e.g., "I enjoy cocaine because it's a fun thing to do"). Wexler had made the comments in response to a suggestion by Colbert to "say some things that would really lose the election for you if you were contested." As of the show's airing, Wexler was running for re-election unopposed. In a rare moment, Colbert broke character to say that Wexler "didn't mean a thing he was saying. He knew it was a joke, and he was confident enough to play along."

The guy was clearly onto the joke from pretty much the get-go, trying not to crack up.

The exchange went something like this:

SC: Say something that would make you lose the election if you were contested.

RW: *doesn't understand*

SC: Finish this sentence. "I enjoy cocaine because...."

RW: *smiling* I enjoy cocaine because... It's a fun thing to do!

SC: I enjoy the company of prostitutes because

RW: I enjoy the company of prostitutes because... It's a fun thing to do! *finally breaks* They're probably even more fun to do together!

And seeing an old clip of Steve Carell warmed the cockles of my heart. He was so funny on the show.

Guest FileCabinet

I love the Colbert Report. I still think it's the most consistently funny show on television, and I really enjoy its continuity (Charlene, Tek Jansen, bears, black acquaintance Allen, Stephen Jr., etc.).

The Daily Show is okay, but it can get repetitive when half the jokes consist of video clips and Stewart making a face or impression. Jason Jones has improved a lot since he started. Plus, I adore John Hodgman.

If you can get Comedy Central's Motherload to work on your computer, you can see the videos for yourself: here. The ones you want to see are labeled "COCAINE AND FUN" followed by "Wexler-Mania".

I don't really mind Stewart that much, and he is a good interviewer, but sometimes he does become a self-parody.

The worst is his terrible, terrible Woody Allen impression. It has never been funny, and rarely is even appropriate to whatever he's commenting on.

I wish I could find some Steve Vs Steve clips, though. Those were absolute gold.

I really wish Stewart would drop the Bush impersonation. Sorry Jon, but it's not a very good impersonation.

I don't really mind Stewart that much, and he is a good interviewer, but sometimes he does become a self-parody.

The worst is his terrible, terrible Woody Allen impression. It has never been funny, and rarely is even appropriate to whatever he's commenting on.

I wish I could find some Steve Vs Steve clips, though. Those were absolute gold.

There's a few on YouTube.

http://youtube.com/watch%3Fv=0maDvSzDX90

Yeah, that was a tremendous TCR. George Lucas being a finalist in the green screen challenge was gold. I also enjoyed the idea of a Tek Jansen adventure being a mundane adventure in landing a spacecraft.

My God that ending tonight was glorious. A new painting of him standing in front of a painting standing in front of a painting.

And I just about died when he popped out of the cake himself. I never saw that coming at all.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh man, great sample in there. "Good evening godless sodomites!"