TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MFer

Cory Lidle dies in plane crash

Guest Felonies!

We were all thinking it.

I know it was low, but we're mocking ridiculous Internet sentimentality here, not the man himself.

I made a banner for Downhome to use.

couldntflydle.jpg

At this point, Heaven has gotta be piling up a hell of a rotation and bullpen. Do they really need Lidle?

Whoever answers this question might get banned for it.

couldntflydle.jpg

At this point, Heaven has gotta be piling up a hell of a rotation and bullpen. Do they really need Lidle?

Whoever answers this question might get banned for it.

or speculates that he went to the "other team".

I find myself unable to say something funny about Cory Lidle's death...even though there's ample opportunities (that "Heaven Needed a #5 Starter" banner was hilarious...not so much with the "Flydle".). I think there might be something wrong with me.

This is kinda like when Bobby Duncum Jr. died.

couldntflydle.jpg

They'll find a spot for him on the Triple or Double A squad.

Guest Felonies!

Times like these, I wish Mike Piazza would sign with the Giants so we can hear that he's "catching in San Francisco now."

I was with a friend studying for our midterm and it was her mom who is currently back east who broke the news when it happened. She was unnerved because she was back there during 9/11 and is a huge Yankees fan, so when she heard that Cory was in the plane it made it even tougher on her. While I'm not a Yankee fan, it still is a sad day in sports and my thoughts are with his family.

So here's the conversation I had with my 50-something ulta conservative loon co-worker today.

Me: Did you hear about the Yankees pitcher who crashed his plane?

Her: Yes, I think it was a terrorist attack. Do you?

Me: No, it was probably just an accident. I don't think he's a terrorist.

Her: There are terrorists everywhere and we don't even know who they are. Does he have a reason to hate America?

Me: ...

So here's the conversation I had with my 50-something ulta conservative loon co-worker today.

Her: There are terrorists everywhere and we don't even know who they are. Does he have a reason to hate America?

Pretty sure once people start bringing it up his wife will have a reason.

Your coworker gives ME a reason to hate America. Well, just the red states anyways :D You are from a red state, right?

Guest NYankees
My dad brought up some pitcher that killed himself back in the 80s when the Angels didn't make the World Series one year, and tried to connect these two stories together.

I dont recall Lidle giving up a huge 3 run shot to Dave Henderson to blow the game. Poor Doonie Moore. His life was never the same after that. Did he kill his wife as well or attempted to?

A couple thoughts:

-Lidle seemed like a guy who played the right way and had the respect of everyone he played with.

-I wish ppl would quit blaming others(such as "if the yankees won, he'd still be alive" and other b.s. statements)

-Based on what we know about his personality, I think it's safe to say that he didn't commit suicide or all of a sudden become a terrorist.

-He sure did get a lot of media attention(not to say he didn't deserve it). Kinda makes you wonder what the reaction would be if a Randy Johnson or a Jeter or an A-Rod would be. Ppl who aren't baseball fans probably have never heard the name Cory Lidle in their life before yesterday.

-I will remember Lidle as an above-average pitcher who made a lasting impact during every stop of his career.

-RIP.

Just went to his ESPN.com player page to look back at Lidle's career. I'm going to hell for laughing at this...

NEWS: October 11

SKINNY: Lidle has died in a plane crash in New York City, ESPNews reports.

SPIN: For the fantasy spin for this player, log in or become an Insider today.

Guest Princess Leena

Lidle will have a 0.00 ERA in Heaven. I don't know about Adjusted ERA since the air is so light up there.

Leena, that's disgusting. This thread isn't about jokes or putting yourself over. We're trying to run a respectable message board here.

Just went to his ESPN.com player page to look back at Lidle's career. I'm going to hell for laughing at this...

It's acceptable because you're laughing at ESPN, not Lidle.

NYankees, Moore did attempt to kill his wife before attempting suicide. She suffered multiple gunshot wounds, but survived.

It's acceptable because you're laughing at ESPN, not Lidle.

NYankees, Moore did attempt to kill his wife before attempting suicide. She suffered multiple gunshot wounds, but survived.

Yeah Moore killed himself in front of his son, IIRC.

Leena, that's disgusting. This thread isn't about jokes or putting yourself over. We're trying to run a respectable message board here.

If we didn't have posters like Leena, we could attract a clientele

Also should be noted that while he did make $17 million in his career, he is not eligible for the MLB pension plan because he crossed the picket lines during the '94 strike.

That applies to the licensing agreement, not the pension plan. Mrs. Lidle will still collect on the pension.

For A-Rod hating Yankee fans...be careful what you wish for...

A-Rod OK After Plane Skids Off Calif. Runway

Agent Scott Boras Confirms; No Injuries Reported

(CBS/AP) BURBANK, Calif. A private jet, carrying Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez and six others, overran a runway at Bob Hope Airport on Friday and was brought to a halt by an arresting system.

"I spoke to Alex. He's fine," agent Scott Boras said.

None of the seven people aboard were injured, federal officials said.

The Gulfstream G-II carried five passengers and two crew members, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a statement from Washington, D.C.

The twin-engine jet was stopped by an Engineered Materials Arresting System, pavement injected with air bubbles designed to collapse under the weight of an aircraft as large as a Boeing 737 jet traveling as fast as 50 knots, airport spokesman Victor Gill said.

"It came to a pretty quick stop," Gill said.

Damage to the aircraft was minor, the board said.

An NTSB official was sent to investigate the 11:35 a.m. incident. The board planned to retrieve the cockpit voice recorder, gather radar data and evaluate how well the arresting system worked.

The aircraft, registered to a Wilmington, Del., corporation, approached from the west and landed on one of the airport's two runways. The runway was closed and reopened at 3:30 p.m. after the plane was moved, Gill said.

Bob Hope Airport, in the San Fernando Valley north of downtown Los Angeles, is used by seven airlines and private aircraft.

A Southwest Airlines jet skidded off a runway and crashed through a concrete barrier at the airport in 2000, injuring 43

passengers and the captain. The flight from Las Vegas went too fast and descended at a steep angle when it landed, according to a NTSB report. That jet ended up on a city street near a gas station.

Friday's incident came just two days after Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle's plane failed to execute a U-turn and slammed into the side of a high-rise in Manhattan, killing Lidle and his flight instructor.

(© 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

No Yankees allowed in planes for like at least a month, ok?