TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy this year!

Everyone on the 'net loves to hate on GnR these days, and there was good reason to do so. Except for this year Axl's actually managed to stage a real comeback. The current band is rocking and doesn't look like a joke (like the 2002 version did), they're selling the fuck out of their shows (unlike 2002), and all of the video for the recent live shows I've seen have been amazing (again unlike 2002). AND it actually seems like Axl's changed his attitude, he's talking to the press and showing up to his concerts.

Having said that, I haven't been super impressed with any of the new stuff I've heard. But for the first time in a long time I actually have some faith in Axl pulling this off.

And there's still a market for GnR, the greatest hits that came out a couple years ago is still on the Billboard top 100 and has been for longer than any other album on there by a large margin (133 weeks). It's pushing quadruple platnum.

However

The album won't come out this year. Axl will do something retarded and delay it again.
this is probably true.

And so is this:

I think every man, woman, and child would have to buy at least two copies in order for the record to make a profit.

It'll sell well, no doubt, but it just isn't going to make its money back. Michael Jackson's Invincible went double platinum—a figure a lot of acts would kill for—but it was still considered a bomb when you take into account the pre-release hype, Jackson's previous record sales and just how much money went into making and advertising it.

I'm still mad at Axl for no-showing the Philly show. I broke a bone in my hand that night punching stuff. I'm also mad at Axl for playing in West Virginia, but not Philly on this current tour.

I'm like a woman who gets beat, but keeps going back to the boyfriend. I'd go see Guns again in a heartbeat.

i'm not as sure as inc that this will sell. or do anything. i think the masses are more apathetic than anything. i'm surprised that there are people clamouring for a new g'nr album. it isn't 1996 people. remember thh spaghetti incident?

When was this album first planned for release? 1996? I ask because 5 years is still a very long time between original material, even if it pales in comparison to 15 years.

That was different. You said yourself that all covers albums are doomed to suck.

fine.

remember

use your illusions 2?

woof.

Take that back.

was that supposed to blow our minds? it sounds like axl. thats the only thing that came to my head. and i thought of axl looked with his red braids & open tommy hilfiger shirt with gold chain dangling down. buddy, you're 50. give it up.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm pretty sure I said something a while back about Axl hypothetically doing something with Fred Durst.

He's 44 I think, lol.

But I mean that's really what it comes down to. If you like Axl, you'll love the album. I was always a bigger fan of the tunes Axl composed himself (Rocket Queen, Estranged, Don't Damn Me) then songs composed by the band as a whole. He is just a damn good writer, but is still also able to make his shit accessible and somewhat poppy enough.

It's still better then Velvet Revolver. Or Metallica's several failed attempts at a comeback album. Or anything Aerosmith has done since the 80s.....etc. etc. etc.