TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy this year!

AXL TALKS GREASY 'BOUT THE EAGLES OF DEATH METAL:

EAGLES OF DEATH METAL appear to have been removed from the GUNS N' ROSES tour after only one show due to an overwhelmingly poor reception the band got from the GN'R audience during EAGLES' tour opener. According to several fans who attended last night's (Nov. 24) GUNS N' ROSES concert at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio (also featuring SEBASTIAN BACH and SUICIDE GIRLS), people were booing throughout EAGLES' hour-long set, with some of the GN'R fans calling the group's performance "horrid at best" and describing the band's music as "pretty fucking lame," with a repertoire of songs that sound "almost the same." GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose apparently agreed with his fans, because a few songs into GNR's set he reportedly said something to the effect of, "So how'd you like THE PIGEONS OF SHIT METAL? Don't worry, that's the last show they're playing with us."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...ewsitemID=62746

I suspect the EODM probably only took the opening slot as a joke, so they could say "LOL were opening for axl rose. he weighs 400 pounds now."* But really, I don't care how much Axl wants to remain "relevant" in 2006. He's drawing a hair metal crowd. Those people aren't going to go for a band like that.

*Axl Rose is clearly not fat. But half of the reviews you'll read of the shows on this current tour describe him as fat, as though the reviewer chose to base their description of Axl's appearance on his performance at the 2002 VMA's and not the concert they actually attended.

I saw that in the new Rolling Stone, I think the quote went something like "Axl is double the size he was in 1987" He doesnt look any more than 25 pounds over his prime, the reviews from this tour have been consistently great, people are liking the new material, and Axl is behaving himself. I guess that kinda thing is just too hard to report.

The Eagles of Etc are a pretty generic/weak band. Buckcherry or the Dirty Americans would have made much better sense as opening bands.

Supposidely, Hinder was offered the opening slot for the tour but they rejected it cause they thought Axl was going to be too flakey.

Ponder that one for a moment. :ph34r:

Probably for the better, that shit band (Hinder) doesn't need any more exposure than it already has.

Creed was a 6th rate pile of dogshit. Just because Stapp tried sounding like Eddie Vedder doesnt make his band comparable to Pearl Jam. Since 1990, only Radiohead is better than Pearl Jam.

I didn't think their was much of a difference between 2nd rate and 6th rate. Either way they suck. I always thought of Creed as a Pearl Jam ripoff.

Just because I say Creed is a poor man's Pearl Jam doesn't mean that Creed is almost as good as Pearl Jam.

In summary, Creed sucks and it spawned a bunch of even suckier Creed knockoffs.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. My apologies for thinking that you thought Creed was anywhere near PJ.

Creed, Stapp especially, never were able to decide if they were a clone of PJ, the Doors, or STP. But they could probably suck a cock with the best of 'em.

Guest Felonies!

Man, that's worse than the time I may have said

"Planes Mistaken For Stars"? More like "Crap Mistaken For Good."

EDIT: Well, no sign of it on the board, so that checks out. Maybe I just imagined it and thought twice about posting it.

If 2006 passes with no album I am done with GNR.

Ok, if 2006 passes with no announcement, I am done with GNR.

Well, i still might go see them live again........

Ugh.......well maybe I'll at least stay off the GNR message boards.

I was like that at the show in MSG earlier this month.

"Yay, Welcome to the Jungle........oh man November Rain"

Don't get me wrong, I still love the stuff, but IRS and Chinese Democracy got the biggest pops from me all night, much to the confusion of the people surrounding me.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the stuff, but IRS and Chinese Democracy got the biggest pops from me all night, much to the confusion of the people surrounding me.

what's going to be hilarious is that the album will probaly be comprised entirely of songs we've never heard...

Hinder is a subpar Nickelback. And Nickelback is a fourth rate Creed, who were in itself a second rate Pearl Jam.

How dare you say that Nickelback is worse than Creed. No one is bad as Creed.

If 2006 passes with no album I am done with GNR.

Ok, if 2006 passes with no announcement, I am done with GNR.

Well, i still might go see them live again........

Ugh.......well maybe I'll at least stay off the GNR message boards.

You'll never be done with them!

And staying off the GNR message boards is something you should be doing now. I can feel my IQ dropping every time I read MyGNRForum.

I don't think this album will ever come out. A few years down the line, Axl'll release a live album from a big concert, and those'll be the most definitive versions of the songs. Or, the songs will just gradually trickle out as the "new GnR!" song on an increasing number of best-of albums every few years.

Guest Felonies!

To justify the insane cost of this album, it pretty much has to be a legendary work of art that changes and advances the genre and outsells Thriller and The Wall combined. It's just going to be a Guns n Roses album.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think the new GnR album will be completely unheard tracks, thus making all the "official leaked tracks" just a completely different "album" altogether meant to build hype and sate the goobers that still clamour for Guns N friggin Roses.

To justify the insane cost of this album, it pretty much has to be a legendary work of art that changes and advances the genre and outsells Thriller and The Wall combined. It's just going to be a Guns n Roses album.

I really don't understand how it's that hard to recoup a $13 million investment on an album that's probably going to sell at least a couple of million. I guess you would also have to spend a couple of million on videos, but I wonder how effective the music video even is as a promotional tool since MTV barely plays them anymore. Obviously money will be spent on promotion but as the industry becomes less reliant on traditional forms of marketing it will be much less expensive than it would have been in years past given all the online venues they can use to promote the album (i.e. MySpace, Youtube, etc.) Licensing some of the tracks to advertisers can also offset the cost. (One must assume that if Axl is willing to license "Better" to Harley-Davidson he's not terribly selective about advertising partners.) Considering a wholesale price of around $10 it could easily make money. I find it doubtful that Chinese Democracy will be some sort of massive hit but I do think it will sell well.

The key will be if the album has any songs that catch on with the younger listeners. It's going to sell a million copies to delusional old GnR fans (myself included) who miss the band and want more. If it has some good stuff that might bump up to 2 million from word of mouth among old heads. To really be a success and recoup the money put into it, it needs to appeal to the "nu metal" crowd and the kids that like Nickleback and that swill. Might happen, might not. Music sales are really hard to predict now.

The key will be if the album has any songs that catch on with the younger listeners. It's going to sell a million copies to delusional old GnR fans (myself included) who miss the band and want more. If it has some good stuff that might bump up to 2 million from word of mouth among old heads. To really be a success and recoup the money put into it, it needs to appeal to the "nu metal" crowd and the kids that like Nickleback and that swill. Might happen, might not. Music sales are really hard to predict now.

"The Kids" don't like Nickleback, Nickleback sells so damn many cds because they have the "crappy inoffensive modern rock" and "adult contemporary" crowds. And the "nu metal crowd" equals shit in sales these days, this isn't 1999 anymore.

I still stand by the fact that since the GnR greatest hits album went quadruple platinum despite being clearly thrown together and a cheap cash in that this new album will sell well.

The fact that the Greatest Hits album sold well means virtually nothing for the well-being of Chinese Democracy, in my opinion. It was GnR's first release in years and there was no suitable compilation of their hits released before Greatest Hits landed on the shelves.

The only similarity between the albums is that they were both made by Guns 'n Roses and, ultimately, you can't even say that, since the current GnR lineup consists of Axl Fucking Rose, Shaquille O'Neal, and that scruffy dude off the cover of Aqualung. Correlation is not necessarily causation.