TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

The Prestige

I concur. Everyone, go fucking watch it. It's Christopher Nolan goodness through and through. I just got back from seeing it not too long ago, and that's all that I really have to say right now, but trust me.

This one is a complete and total winner.

Why in the hell aren't more of you talking about this one?

I don't have much to say about it. It was a great film and most people seem to be in agreement. I'm surprised Jackman hung as well with the other actors in this film as he did. I've seen nothing from him in the past to expect this kind of performance. He's quite the scumbag here.

Why in the hell aren't more of you talking about this one?

I don't have much to say about it. It was a great film and most people seem to be in agreement. I'm surprised Jackman hung as well with the other actors in this film as he did. I've seen nothing from him in the past to expect this kind of performance. He's quite the scumbag here.

My parents got to see a preview screening of this and my mom said the same thing. She came home and said "Since when can Hugh Jackman act?" I've seen him in other things and knew he was good.

I plan on seeing this next week after I see Saw 3. My girlfriend doesn't like horror, so this Sunday I'm seeing Saw and next week when she is off from work I'm going to see this film. Can't wait to see it since I'm a huge Bale fan, and have been since seeing Empire of the Sun when I was younger.

Nolan is the best kept secret directing wise, and now he will break out. He is amazing.

Terrific film. This and The Departed are gonna make the Oscars very interesting.

The movie had everything: Batman, Wolverine, Alfred, King Kong, and one of the best musical artists ever, what more do you want? Not to mention the sexy Scarlett Johannson.

Terrific film. This and The Departed are gonna make the Oscars very interesting.

The movie had everything: Batman, Wolverine, Alfred, King Kong, and one of the best musical artists ever, what more do you want? Not to mention the sexy Scarlett Johannson.

And finally a film portrayed Thomas Edison as the asshole that he was.

And finally a film portrayed Thomas Edison as the asshole that he was.

True. I liked how the Tesla/Edison rivalry mirrored the Borden/Angier one.

I don't find her to be anything special. She hasn't impressed me acting wise, and I find her looks to be the generic look of today's young Hollywood. I tend to like celebs that have a little more meat on their bones. I don't like the "I haven' eaten in years" look. But that's just me. I loved Christina Ricci, but I'm getting turned off by her now that she lost all the weight, but that's a different conversation for a different post.

is Scarlett considered part of the anorexic generation? One of the reasons I like her is her curvy busty curves.

Anyways, I saw it and it was really good. Nice upping the ante back and forth, and the dual revelations were both excellent. Great cast too.

Although I have to say i think they cheated a bit with

Christian Bale's "assistant":

When Bale gives the red ball to the assistant, the thought of the assistant being some kind of double or something occured to me and I looked close to see if the guy was also played by Bale, but imo he wasn't, he had this sort of chubbiness in his face that Christian doesn't, and dismissed it.

Loved the cloning machine. that was some really gruesome shit. Jackman killed himself every night! By the end of the film I wasn't confused by anything, it took a few seconds to track it but virtually everything made sense

This movie, though based on a book, is actually reminscent of a different book I read called Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, which was also about warring magicians in old times, though that one was set during the Napoleanic wars in England and they both did real magic, but the way the rivalry develops is similar. Great book that, I'm also interestd in reading the Prestige book.

Hot damn was that a great movie! I hadn't read the book and this was the first movie that I went into under my new policy for anticipated movies of not reading anything about them ore watching trailers beforehand. And I must say that it improved the experience. Nolan is an amazing director and I think he will start getting a lot more appreciation in the future.

But yeah, I don't really have much to say other than I really really liked it.

And I agree, its good to see a movie that has the balls to come out and say "Hey, Edison's a dickhead."

I tend to like celebs that have a little more meat on their bones. I don't like the "I haven' eaten in years" look. But that's just me. I loved Christina Ricci, but I'm getting turned off by her now that she lost all the weight, but that's a different conversation for a different post.

Are you kidding, the best part about Scarlett Johannson is that she's considered one of the sexiest actresses but she isn't anorexic looking.

Count me in as loving the motherfucking hell out of this movie. I just finally got a chance to see it last night and was blown away. Easily tying the Departed as my favourite flick of 2006.

Also, count me in on the Scarlett sexiness. Dunno where the "more meat on her bones" thing comes from, either. She's got curves for miles. :wub:

Guest Coffey

I watched it and can now no longer say that I don't like any Christian Bale movies. :) It was really good. I'll definitely be getting the DVD.

I tend to like celebs that have a little more meat on their bones. I don't like the "I haven' eaten in years" look.

wut?

I rented this movie when I rented the Departed, in other words, I just saw it yesterday. Very good film, excellent even.

Scarlett has curves. Ricci used to. Look at any of Ricci's indy flicks, from Buffalo 66 to The Opposite of Sex, and compare her completely fine looking body to the way she looks in Black Snake Moan. She doesn't look unhealthy skinny by any means, but it is obvious they wanted her to obtain a certain look for the part.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I just finished watching this movie and liked it quite a lot, even though it was pretty predictable.

I knew Borden had a double of some sort as soon as they downplayed his "manager" and quit showing his face. The Angier death became obvious with the hats.

The thing that's great about this movie, besides really good acting and pacing, is how everthing makes so much more sense after the first viewing. If you watch it again, little things that just seemed to be dramatic touches became clues.

OK, Bale1 will be the one who loved Scarlett Johanssen and was obsessed with magic. Bale2 will be the one in love with his wife.

Small things like Bale1 trying to push the act, and the "I can tell when you love me" are brilliant. Though I did wonder how the hell he showed up in Sarah's appartment.

The results of the Tesla device (Jackman dying over and over) were pretty obvious the second the cat mewled outside.

However, I thought perhaps, that the movie would end with Jackman being an alone, wreck of a man having let his obsession destroy his life, literally killing himself over and over for his obsession.

I really didn't see the twin double, which seems obvious in retrospect, but explains so much. THe very definition of a good twist.

Finally saw this over the weekend and I have to give it a massive "eh." The acting was good, but I usually need at least one main character in the movie to be a sympathetic character, someone you can empathize with a root for. Every single main character in this movie is a dick. Plain and simple. Plus, I sussed out all the "twists" at least 30 min before the reveals. It looked gorgeous, but it really lacked in getting me emotionally invested in the story.