TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops '07: November 2006

It's that time once again. Time to turn the clocks back an hour, time to dress up (and in some cases, hook up) for Halloween, and time for the November Sun to rise.

This all means one thing. Time for Another Season of College Hoops to begin, which means time for another 4 month long drama that all leads to one of the biggest events in American Sports...."March Madness." Now, I know that most of America doesn't give a fuck about College Hoops until March. But for those of us that are fans, the madness starts now with the College Hoops Black Hole that is November, and all of it's Tournaments that almost seem as fictional as a Rio De Janero Wrestling Championship Tournament, except they exist.

With that said....On with the Thread.

Last Years Highlights include.

- The Big East lording over all others...until the Elite 8.

- Florida winning the National Title after being unranked.

- Georgetown upseting Duke for its biggest victory since the John Thompson era.

- The Missouri Valley proving itself to be a player on the main stage with 4 bids and teams that made it to the Sweet 16

- George Mason taking down Michigan State, North Carolina and UConn to make it to the Final 4.

Needless to say, 2006 was a memorable season, and it makes the anticipation of 2007 really exciting. Questions going into the season are plentiful. Among them are....

- Can Florida with its "Baby Gators" maturing, repeat as National Champions?

- Can the Freshman Class that's being touted as the Greatest in many years, live up to the hype?

- Mid Majors: Are they here to stay, or are they a flash in a pan?

- Can the SEC really be the best conference in the Nation?

- Does anyone really have a chance to Beat Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference?

All of those questions and more, will be revealed as we go along in the Season. Now, lets begin.

Also, last, but not least....Here's the first Complete Top 25 Poll

Week 1 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Florida (30) 0-0 772

2. North Carolina 0-0 728

3. Kansas 0-0 714

4. Ohio State 0-0 595

5. Pittsburgh 0-0 583

5. UCLA 0-0 583

7. LSU 0-0 556

8. Georgetown 0-0 538

9. Wisconsin 0-0 530

10. Arizona 0-0 478

11. Duke 0-0 477

12. Alabama 0-0 420

13. Texas A&M 0-0 335

14. Memphis 0-0 328

15. Boston College 0-0 284

16. Washington 0-0 240

17. Marquette 0-0 203

18. Connecticut 0-0 200

19. Texas 0-0 172

20. Syracuse 0-0 138

21. Georgia Tech 0-0 137

22. Kentucky 0-0 119

23. Creighton 0-0 113

24. Tennessee 0-0 106

25. Nevada 0-0 101

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Gonzaga 88, Wichita State 78, Louisville 77, Southern Illinois 70, Illinois 52, Xavier 44, Villanova 39, Air Force 26, San Diego State 24, Hofstra 20, Oklahoma State 19, Michigan 17, Michigan State 15, Maryland 12, DePaul 11, Florida State 9, George Mason 6, Indiana 5, Houston 3, Brigham Young 2, George Washington 2, Winthrop 2, Utah 1, Bucknell 1, New Mexico State 1, Saint Louis 1.

Florida won't make it to Atlanta. They'll have a season similar to Arizona's 98 season. The WildCats returned the bulk of their national championship team, but couldn't find the same magic that took them to the top the previous year.

I like the chance of my Heels making it 2 titles in 3 years.

Also, look out for KU. They're loaded.

Who besides Greg Oden are some of the freshmen that would have been in the NBA under the old rules.

Kevin Durant - Texas

Brandan Wright - North Carolina

Thaddeus Young - Georgia Tech

Darrell Arthur - Kansas

Vernon Macklin - Georgetown

Guest Princess Leena
Why aren't the Illini in the top 25?

They lost their 2 best players. And there's many questions about how good their PG play will be.

My friend since childhood Tyree Evans will be making his Kansas St debut this year. He will be a freshman but is 22 years old. He is a great shooter and probably one the best defensive players in the country. He got an offer to try out with the Suns. He got in trouble a year ago which prevented him going to Cinci.

I don't think the Florida/Zona comparison is valid. Arizona had a fluke run in 1997 that there was no way they would replicate (beating 3 #1 seeds??). Florida had a dominant run through the tourney aside from maybe the Georgetown game. Zona also was heavily reliant on Bibby and Simon, so someone like Utah could shut them down and pound them on the inside.

The only way to beat Florida is to get them into a low scoring snoozer like Georgetown did.

My friend since childhood Tyree Evans will be making his Kansas St debut this year. He will be a freshman but is 22 years old. He is a great shooter and probably one the best defensive players in the country. He got an offer to try out with the Suns. He got in trouble a year ago which prevented him going to Cinci.

I would've thought getting in trouble would just make you fit in more at Cincinnati.

Seriously, though, that's great.

Who besides Greg Oden are some of the freshmen that would have been in the NBA under the old rules.

Kevin Durant - Texas

Darrell Arthur - Kansas

You also forgot Paul Harris from Syracuse as well, and a few others.

As far as this season goes....There's so much hype on Florida repeating, and I feel like it's going to be a letdown. Remember now that Florida is the big team to beat, someone will find the formula and will use it to beat the "Baby Gators"

I would've thought getting in trouble would just make you fit in more at Cincinnati.

Seriously, though, that's great.

Huggins is at K-State know.

Well, South Carolina wasn't a great team last year or anything but they did manage to beat Florida twice and then damn near beat them for the SEC tourney title. I can't recall the two regular season matchups off hand but the SEC finals was a low scoring, plodding 52-50 type game.

In the NCAA tourney Georgetown was really the only team that tried to do this. UCLA probably would have liked to, but Florida jumped them off the bat.

Kevin Durant - Texas

Darrell Arthur - Kansas

You also forgot Paul Harris from Syracuse as well, and a few others.

Yeah, I know there are other guys that would have considered going, but those are the ones that I feel would have gone for sure - especially Durant, Wright, and Young.

I don't think the Florida/Zona comparison is valid. Arizona had a fluke run in 1997 that there was no way they would replicate (beating 3 #1 seeds??). Florida had a dominant run through the tourney aside from maybe the Georgetown game. Zona also was heavily reliant on Bibby and Simon, so someone like Utah could shut them down and pound them on the inside.

The only way to beat Florida is to get them into a low scoring snoozer like Georgetown did.

I'm not saying that 2007 Florida and 1998 Arizona are similar in team makeup. I just think that both were teams that got hot at the right time but couldn't/won't live up to expectations the following year.

If Florida had played UNC or KU(who both return as much and added more) in February of last year, I feel they would have lost to both teams.

And so the first College Games were played this year, yesterday.

Vermont Beat New Orleans 82-65

Maryland Trounced Hampton 102-75

These games were part of the Coaches Vs. Cancer Classic College Park Regionals. Vermont will take on Maryland tonight in the first televised game of the year on ESPN2 at 7:00 PM.

As for the other games today...

New Orleans is edging out Hampton 33-31 at halftime

Youngstown State is Burning Central Michigan 45-20

Let the season begin.

It's the Tarheels year. I can feel it. Too talented to lose.

When Roy Williams is talking about his biggest problem being how to fit in all the talent... it's gonna be a great year.

Fuckin' a: Virginia breaks in the brand new $130 million John Paul Jones arena with a monster upset over Arizona. I'm so glad Sean Singletary decided to stick around. Maybe this year's basketball season will make up for football blowing.

Not exactly a "monster upset". They were only a 3 point underdog at tipoff. Still, it's a very good win to start the year for UVA. With 5 returning starters. they should be a real contender in the ACC this year.

I got a nice package today for Nova's Wachovia Center games. $150 in the lower level for the games against Texas, Louisville, Pitt, Georgetown and Syracuse. Unfortunately I'm going to need a lot of luck to get tickets for the Holy War in February since the law school only gets 50 tickets for the lottery when games are at the Pavilion.