Six Man Tag Team War

Steve Corino & The Briscoe Brothers vs. Homicide, Samoa Joe, & BJ Whitmer

Special Challenge Match #1

World Tag Team Champion Chris Hero vs. Christopher Daniels

Special Challenge Match #2

World Tag Team Champion Claudio Castagnoli vs. Matt Sydal

SHIMMER Special Challenge Match

Daizee Haze vs. Mercedes Martinez

Nigel McGuinness Has An Open Contract!!!

Not a bad line-up. I am super-geeked to see KENTA live and I am a huge AmDrag mark so it should be a good time. Anyone else going?

Guest JpBv2

I will be there 3rd row, not sure what section.

Thanks for all the matches on the board too man. Have fun Friday.

I'll be there tonight with a group of people, I'm really looking forward to it. This is my second ROH show live, my first being Survival of the Fittest last year.

This is my first live ROH show and I have to say my expectations are high from all the dvds I have seen. Having been to so many WWE shows and usually being let down I am looking forward to feeling good about a show when I walk out.

There was a Cabana-Rave match orginally listed, I guess it may have been dropped.

Nigel-Cabana cannot happen again because its been done to death, so not sure what's up with it.

There was a Cabana-Rave match orginally listed, I guess it may have been dropped.

Nigel-Cabana cannot happen again because its been done to death, so not sure what's up with it.

Nigel/Cabana is always fun though but they aren't to wrestle each other again at least for 2006. It's possible Cabana might still be feeling the effects of his car accident and decided to take the night/weekend off.

Nigel/Cabana is always fun though but they aren't to wrestle each other again at least for 2006. It's possible Cabana might still be feeling the effects of his car accident and decided to take the night/weekend off.

The problem with it being because of effects from the accident is that the match was added this week after it happened. It's totally understandable if that is the reason but why announce the match if it was a situation where they were hoping Cabana would be good to go instead of just adding it the night of the show.

I'll write more about the show tomorrow but for now here are the results from Last Night.

ROH house show report 11-3 Braintree, MA

by Jack Encarnacao/Joe Gagne

From Jack Encarnacao:

These are results from Ring of Honor's return to the Boston area last night with a show at the National Guard Armory in Braintree, Mass. It was the promotion's first show in the area since last September and their third show in the venue (the last was in Aug. 2004). They announced a return date to Braintree on 1/26.

Building was jam packed. Not sure how many seats were in the place, but I saw very few empty seats and many people standing. Things cleared out a bit before the Joe-Whitmer-Homicide v. Briscoes-Corino match when it was announced that police were ready to tow cars parked on a nearby residential street (parking lot was full).

There were two prelim matches with ROH school students

A. Six guys from Chaotic Wrestling in Lowell, Mass. wrestled in a six man tag. I couldn't catch most of their names, but one was Chaotic Heavyweight Champion. Thomas Penmanship. One member of Penmanship's team (maybe Gonzalez was his last name?) was knocked out legit after he took a snap suplex and a guillotine legdrop that apparently caught him right on the chin. The guy who hit the guillotine had to lift his victim's shoulder up at 2 on a pin attempt because he was dead weight and out cold. They all froze for a moment until a partner dragged the knocked-out wrestler across the ring to his corner and put him on the floor to recover. He eventually got back on his feet but was very wobbly. Not a good scene. Penmanship's team won.

B. Shane Hagadorn retained his Top of the Class trophy over an ROH student hailing from Alaska (not sure of his name either).

Nigel McGuinnes kicked things off by getting on the mic and talking about being glad to be back in Boston. He said he brought in a special opponent for the occasion that ROH fans haven't seen in a while. Boston native and former Pure Wrestling Champion "Hurricane" John Walters returned to "Welcome Back" chants

1. Nigel McGuinness defeated John Walters after a diamond cutter with Walters hanging by his feet off the corner. Walters looked real crisp and in great shape. McGuiness put Walters over again in a post match promo and fans chanted "Please Come Back" at Walters.

2. Mercedes Martinez defeated Daizee Haze after a fisherman's buster in a SHIMMER match. I swear I heard ring announcer Bobby Cruise refer to this as a special SHOOTO match before it began. Not much here, but crowd was into Martinez. Lacey hit the ring after the match and berated Haze on the mic.

3. Christopher Daniels defeated Chris Hero. Hero really pulled some cool heel stuff off here, including this elaborate celebration/taunt after he came out on top of an exchange with Daniels. Maybe he's done it before but I haven't seen it. It involved him dropping to a knee repeatedly, jumping to the apron, flipping back in and all this fun stuff. Daniels then cut it off with an elbow and mocked Hero to a big pop. Daniels hit all of his trademark stuff and Hero got some near falls from his cravat lock position. Daniels won after a series of roll ups and reversals. Matt Sydal had accompanied Daniels and Claudio Castagnoli had accompanied Hero, so next we got:

4. Matt Sydal defeated Claudio Castagnoli with a shooting star press. Sydal really impressed here and pulled off some mid-air techniques that are too hard to describe in print. Let's just say a lot of his flying moves had an extra layer to them that you didn't expect. Castagnoli was over and held his own. Sydal hit his twisting hilo to the floor and later hit a wonderfully high shooting star press for the win.

5. Mark & Jay Briscoe & Steve Corino defeated Samoa Joe & Homicide & BJ Whitmer. Hot action here. Homicide and Corino went right for each other out of the gate. Lots of hard shots and brawling. Briscoes pinned Homicide after a double-team Jay Driller. After the match Corino promised on the mic to not only beat Homicide Saturday night in Philadelphia, but to kill him. The faces eventually cleared the ring and Joe smashed Hagadorn's Top of the Class Trophy on the ring post.

6. Colt Cabana defeated Jimmy Rave with an inverted Boston Crab. Fans pelted Rave with TP and he gave it back to them. Cabana really got over and had a good time in there. There were "Where's your toe?" chants, and the referee made sure to check Cabana's boot before the match to confirm that all 10 toes were there. They played with the severed toe hoax a lot. Cabana looked good and entertained.

7. Bryan Danielson defeated Delirious to retain the ROH World Title. Solid work from these two, but the applause from the audience and some of the standing o's for some spots were forced. Danielson didn't pull out many tricks here, which was perfectly fine to me but didn't get the crowd going. Delirious escaped cattle mutilation twice and kicked out of a high top rope back suplex. He had Danielson caught in a crippler crossface with Danielson's arm tucked in, choking him out, when Danielson rose up in the hold, kicked off the corner like Bret Hart and rolled back onto Delirious for the pinfall. Decent enough.

8. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong defeated KENTA & Davey Richards. Phenomenal bout. Crowd was apeshit and it was an organic enthusiasm. Wicked hard chops and kicks from KENTA and Strong. Strong took the brunt of most of KENTA's onslaught. They hit great dives to the floor with Aries suicide-diving through the legs of a leapfrogging Strong and KENTA coming off the top with a plancha onto all of them. Scary spot as Strong looked to hotshot KENTA on the ropes but misplaced it and KENTA got quite a whiplash effect coming down. He appeared fine. Richards looked really good here as well. Action came down to great near falls and several teases but no delivery of "Go 2 Sleep." KENTA did hit the baisaku knee off the top on Aries who was perched on Richards' shoulders for a great bump. Bout ended after Aries double foot stomped Richards in the head as he as held up by Strong. Aries then delivered a sick kick to Richards head while he was still being held up, and then came off the top with the 450 on him for the win. Aries thanked KENTA for his ROH work and promised to take the tag belts back Saturday night. Crowd chanted "Thank You KENTA" as the NOAH star stood alone in the ring. Had to be ****1/2 if not more.

A solid show but not exceptional. Didn't see much interest in ticket sales for the next show on the way out the door. The main event really elevated the rest of the show, which was full of basically *** matches.

From Joe Gagne:

To: [email protected]

Cc: [email protected]

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 21:44:53 -0800

ROH drew about 600 for it's return to the Boston market for the first time in over a year.

Pre-show:

Bobby Dempsey, Rhett Titus & Mitch Franklin defeated Alex "Sugarfoot" Payne, Eddie Osirus & Thomas Penmanship

Shane Hagadorn defeated Pelle Primeau to retain the top of the class trophy when Hagadorn used brass knucks behind the ref's back.

Main show:

Nigel McGuinness came out and announced his mystery opponent as John Walters. Walters kicked out of a Tower of London and a nasty rebound clothesline, but was pinned after a second Tower. Nigel put over Walters post-match. Good opener.

Mercedes Martinez beat Daizee Haze with a fisherman buster. Afterwards Lacey ran in and badmouthed Daizee, then slapped her.

Christopher Daniels (w/ Matt Sydal and Allison Danger) beat Chris Hero (w/ Claudio Castagnoli): Hero and Claudio made their entrance through the crowd. Really fun match - crowd was way into Hero's schtick. Daniels won after reversing a rollup. Hero attacked Sydal afterwards and that lead to...

Matt Sydal defeated Claudio Castagnoli after backdfropping out of a top rope Riccola Bomb and hitting the shooting star press.

Steve Corino & The Briscoes defeated Homicide, Samoa Joe & BJ Whitmer: Wild brawl all over the floor to start. Turned into a heated match. Jay pinned Homicide after an assited Jay Driller. Corino promised to kill Homicide on Saturday.

Intermission

Colt Cabana beat Jimmy Rave. Crowd chanted "Where's your toe?" at Colt. Ref did confirm that Colt had ten toes. Fun comedy match that Colt won with a reverse Boston Crab.

Bryan Danielson beat Delirious in an ROH Title match. Not much heat for with one, and the match itself was a little dissapointing. Danielson reversed Delirious' submission into a pin for the win.

Austin Aries & Roderick Strong defeated KENTA & Davey Richards. Brutal match. all four guys pounded each other. Match went 25 minutes and ended with Aries pinning Richards after a 450. Best match of the night, last few minutes were off the charts.

They're returning to the same building on January 26th.

Those recaps are pretty right on. The most truthful line was "a show full of *** matches" added with an exceptional main event. There was indeed not much interest in buying tickets on the way out, but personally I'm not sure if I am going to feel like driving to Boston in late January when there's a good chance of bad weather.

Overall though, the show was a good time and I absolutely loved the main event.

Here is a decent rundown of the show since I can't really do it much justice.

Opener was great. Crowd popped for the hometown boy - big Welcome Back chants. Match was basically who-could-destroy-the-other's-arm-most. Nigel hit his normal arm spots and some cool new ones (at least to me). Walters hit a tornado armbreaker DDT as well as more conventional moves. Walters kicked out of the top-rope cutter before being pinned after a second. Nigel put over Walters after the match, saying he wanted to see him again. Walters is probably back for a while, and while some people are complaining, I'm all for his return as a midcard guy. Please Come Back chants for Walters.

SHIMMER match was very impressive, and MM had some pretty tough shots in on Daizee. Both looked good, and MM got Welcome Back chants. MM got the pin after a Fisherman's buster. Lacey came out post-match and ran down Daizee before slapping her in the face. Daizee chased Lacey to the back.

Daniels-Hero was a very fun match. Hero kept doing Flippy McFlipflips around the ring and showing off. Daniels cleared him out and started doing the KOW kneehops. Alison Danger in a schoolgirl outfit is a damn perfect 10. Seriously. As the match went on, Daniels took Hero for two trips from pillar to post (thanks to a one-more-time chant). Claudio distracted the ref after a BME, and soon after a rapid-fire pinfall exchange took place without the ref being able to make a count. Daniels finally got Hero down (I think with an inside cradle, correct me if I'm wrong) and got the pin. Post-match, Daniels chased Hero off through the crowd, which quickly segued into the next match.

Sydal-Claudio was for me the 2nd best match of the night. Both men worked hard and they had very good in-ring chemistry. Both men teased dives until Sydal hit the swandive moonsault to the outside to the biggest move-pop of the night thusfar. Sydal kicked out of a Ricolabomb. Claudio attempted a top-rope Ricolabomb but it ended with Sydal backdropping him. After a shooting star press by Sydal, the 1-2-3 was academic. Claudio walked off carrying his belts, and his and Hero's ring gear, looking like he needed his mommy.

Then the brawl. Six-man war started out hot, as the Briscoes and Corino (in pink short tights... guh) came out first, then the good guys came out to start a MASSIVE brawl. One of the Briscoes was busted open hardway. Cide and Corino were right in front of me, brawling away. Eventually, it came back into the ring, where some douche fans started chanting "HOMOCIDE", to which Cide told them to suck his dick. Fans started telling the idiot to "SUCK HIS DICK" as Cide did his best DX impression from the apron. Whitmer got worked over for a while, then Cide got worked over. Instead of doing the wise thing and tagging out, Cide kept attacking Corino on the apron, which made sense to set up tomorrow night in Philly. Hagadorn mocked J-Train before Smokes took him out. Big spots were teased, as both Briscoes wiggled out of the Cop Killa. Finish saw the Briscoes hit a spike J-Driller on Cide for the win. Corino after the match said that tomorrow night, he'd kill Homicide. Only problem I had with the whole thing was that Joe didn't get more time in the ring, but the brawls were red-hot.

Then... intermission. Tickets were on sale for ROH's return to Braintree on 01/26. My buddies and I each got first-row tickets for that event. Pelle and one of the Dempseys were selling concessions, and I congratulated Pelle on a very impressive Top of the Class trophy pre-show match he had against Hagadorn. Effing brass knucks again. Also, during that six-man pre-match, one of the guys on Penmanship's team (the one in the long green tights) got legit knocked out after a snap suplex by Dempsey and a 2nd-rope legdrop by someone. Legit KO'ed. The man making the pinfall had to pick his arm up. Ref made the X. Heels dragged him over to the corner for the tag, and he spent the rest of the match not involved in the ring. At first I couldn't tell if it was legit or a match angle, but he had to be helped to the back as well.

First match after intermission was Rave vs Cabana. TPing for Rave. Cabana was over big. Some comedy. Cabana's attempt at a clean break was met by a Rave slap across the face. Cabana followed suit the next time, and had to apologize to Rave before Jimmy would re-enter the match. Back-and-forth match with the crowd marking big anytime Cabana strutted. Finish came with Rave tapping to Cabana's inverted Boston Crab.

Then the first of the two-match main event: Danielson-Delirious. The match itself was very good, as both men teased previous spots where some worked and others didn't. Danielson did Delirious' butterfly chain wrestling moves early. A Delirious dive almost sent him into the front row. MMA finish didn't work for either man. Cattle Mutilation didn't work twice, and the Cobra Stretch didn't work twice. The crowd though was somewhat quiet the whole time. I was pretty disappointed by that, as both guys were busting their asses. False finishes weren't getting any heat - and I blame the crowd being tired and being so into a couple earlier matches more than I do what was happening in the ring. Finish came when Danielson got up still in a Cobra stretch and make a modified Sliced Bread #2 move into a pinfall.

And the main event... I can't even come close to doing play-by-play. Just know that this was the stiffest tag-team match that ROH has seen. The crowd really got into the match, mainly because all four guys were really busting their asses and taking stiff, BRUTAL shots constantly. A couple come to mind, such as Aries taking a running knee to the face when he was in mid-air, and KENTA trying out for the Patriots with some of the kicks he was making. I'm not spoiling the finish, but it was VERY strong. Aries put over KENTA before warning the KOW that they're taking their belts back in Philly on Saturday. Huge Thank You KENTA, Thank You, and Please Come Back chants for KENTA to finish the show.