TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Borat

Wow, this was far and beyond the funniest movie I've seen so far this year. There are just so many jokes that go over the top and well beyond good taste. Cohen himself doesn't compromise anything at all, he goes all out with racism, male chauvinism, and homophobia. There's really no target in this film that goes untouched. This film is definitely not for the easily offended, and the hotel room scene is just a bit too much, but overall this is without a doubt in my top 10 so far this year. Definitely go out of your way to see this over the weekend, and you may have to go out of your way, because it's only playing on about 800 screens.

Here is a cool look behind Sacha Baron Cohen's career. It has a lot of early footage of all three of his characters, and stuff from his career before he created Ali G, Borat, and Bruno:

Ali G: Before He Was Massiv - Part I

Ali G: Before He Was Massiv - Part II

Ali G: Before He Was Massiv - Part III

And also this:

Borat on the Jonathan Ross Show - Part I

Borat on the Jonathan Ross Show - Part II

Guest Princess Leena

Besides not finding this funny, and not understanding how anyone could for more than a few minutes... why drag Kazakhstan down with these inaccuracies? If you're going to be over-the-top offensive, then fuck being politically correct by saying he's from a country most dopes have probably never even heard of.

This seems like Yakhov Smirnoff's schtick taken to a radical extreme. I think Universal is going to hate themselves for shelling 42 mil for Bruno when this disappoints. Fox was smart to scale back the release this week considering the competition this weekend in Santa Clause 3 and Flushed Away which should take the weekend.

Besides not finding this funny, and not understanding how anyone could for more than a few minutes... why drag Kazakhstan down with these inaccuracies? If you're going to be over-the-top offensive, then fuck being politically correct by saying he's from a country most dopes have probably never even heard of.

Let us have our fun.

Despite their being posters and cardboard cut-outs and stickers on the doors saying 'Come See my Movie Film' for months in the theatre here, according to their website, it's not opening here tomorrow. Bullshit.

I am absolutely first in line to see this tomorrow. Because Fox cut its distribution in half, I have to drive to an art movie theater in a smaller town to see it, but whatever. And according to the man himself, the whole reasoning behind choosing Kazakhstan as Borat's home country is that the people he'd be interviewing wouldn't know anything about Kazakhstan.

Guest dwdw

This was possibly the funniest movie I have ever seen. It was WAY over the top but it had the theater laughing so hard that it was hard to hear the movie at times. The hotel room part was funny as hell but also one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen! Go see this movie if you can NOW!

Just saw it, and I loved it. The naked wrestling scene was a thing of comedy greatness.

Well, I went to the 7:30 show tonight so I could try to be at a showing with the most people possible, and my plan sure did work. I'm going to try to keep all of this short, so just stay with me. First off, the theater was packed, a large stadium seating theater with even the bottom floor packed. I'm not just saying that either. It was Jurrassic Park packed. Lord of the Rings packed. So packed that two people weren't able to even sit together once the movie started, much less a group of people being able to sit together.

I think you get my point.

Anyway, everyone seemed to have a great time. It was without a doubt the greatest movie theater setting that I've ever been in. Everyone was laughing from the start of the flick all the way to the end, so much so that I'm sure that we all need to see it a second time just to be able to catch some of the funny lines that we missed because we were laughing so much at what had just taken place. Is it the funniest movie that I have ever seen? I'll put it this way - I can't remember ever laughing so much throughout an entire film, at times to the point where I actually cry. Not to mention everyone else laughing right along with me just as much.

I'm not even going to go into specifics right now. Just, you know, go watch it. If you don't find something about this movie to laugh your ass off over, then I just don't know what to say to ya.

I expected a big crowd, but my God, I didn't expect anything even close to what I saw tonight. I can't wait to see the box office numbers for this flick this week, and especially next week when it expands to more and more theaters.

Guest Vitamin X

This movie is runaway blockbuster motion picture film of year! Best film from Kazakhstan in history.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

It'll make around $10 million this weekend. Santa Clause 3 will do $20 million, Flushed Away will do $15 million.

Besides not finding this funny, and not understanding how anyone could for more than a few minutes...

You actually didn't laugh once the entire movie or are you joking? ( Sometimes its hard to tell on messageboards when someone is being sarcastic or not.)

I saw this movie last night with a friend of mine and me and her couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire movie, same goes with the rest of theatre. There was a few arkward silences, espically when the whole Women are equal to men thing came up.

It'll make around $10 million this weekend. Santa Clause 3 will do $20 million, Flushed Away will do $15 million.

It'll make a lot more than that as its Friday total was nearly $9 million.

Daily Box Office

I saw this movie last night with a friend of mine and me and her couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire movie, same goes with the rest of theatre. There was a few arkward silences, espically when the whole Women are equal to men thing came up.

Interesting. So, misogyny was crossing the line, but anti-Semitism was okay.

I guess. A small percentage of the crowd was laughing during the Women have equal rights scene, but the rest of the crowd got real quiet.

But he is a jew so he can get away with it.