TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
franchise632

The 'Sheed Rule

Ok so this new rule is such bullshit. I am watching Denver vs LA Clippers and just watched 'Melo get kicked out for throwing his head band walking to the bench after a poor foul call. I understand the League wanting to clean up the jawing with the officals but that is just so far beyond what is needed. I know that Rasheed got booted last night and I didn't see if but he probably did something under the new rule to deserve it. I mean seriously is this what the game really needs? Why not take all of the personalites out fo the game? I so sick of David Stern and his need to control every little thing. Fuckin' NBA!!!!

Thoughts?

The Melo ejection was bad. I think the new rule is good in principle, but not in application. Should guys get T'd up if they keep arguing, absolutely. Kicked out, probably more often than not.

However, for throwing something like a headband to a place that it wouldn't make contact with something, there should be a technical foul and no more. I like that the refs aren't giving guys chances to talk up a storm just because they have one T, and think that the ref will cut them some slack.

Why exactly should players not be allowed to vent frustration in a way that is not affecting anyone else. Melo was upset about a foul call, an early 4th foul in the 3rd quarter, and walking the bench just flips it down to the end of the bench. There was no reason for that to be a technical foul. I understand the presmise of the officals want to establish this rule, just as they are establishing a greater focus on traveling and palming, but it really is ridiculous.

Why exactly should players not be allowed to vent frustration in a way that is not affecting anyone else. Melo was upset about a foul call, an early 4th foul in the 3rd quarter, and walking the bench just flips it down to the end of the bench. There was no reason for that to be a technical foul. I understand the presmise of the officals want to establish this rule, just as they are establishing a greater focus on traveling and palming, but it really is ridiculous.

Probably because it makes them look like crybabies and the league wants to get away from that. Maybe this will be a lesson to not have a temper tantrum on national television and possibly make more NBA players start acting like adults. They dress like adults now, maybe they should start acting that way.

David Stern can't be happy. Sports Illustrated, USA Today, etc. etc. all run articles about how Carmelo Anthony is more mature and ready to be a team leader and vanguard for the NBA, and he gets tossed in his first game. Deserved or not, refs being told to implement the new rule with force or not, I don't think that's a desired outcome for the league.

My problem is it's all discretionary. What is excessive complaining? where is the line? With one ref and one player the first questioning of a call or dirty look is going to be a tech. With another ref and another player there'll be more leeway. There isn't a finite line or definition, and I think it's good that refs take control of the game and keep the players in line and respecting the authority of the refs, but making it so arbitrary and publicizing this hardline stance just makes for a rougher transition, and it leads to less experienced refs causing problems by jumping the gun.

And calling a tech on Melo for tossing his headband while he's walking to his seat on the bench is just nitpicking. On the court? Ok. But not when he's checked out of the game and is just frustrated, clearly not trying to show up the officials.

I seem to distinctly remember two technicals against Chicago in the first half on opening night, followed by a foul on GP, which he complained about for a good 30 seconds to the refs. My friends and I were all wondering why he didn't get a T either. They need to be firm, but consistent, and while I didn't see the Melo incident, I see no reason why a headband thrown at the bench should result in an ejection.

King brought up a good point about players being given leeway with arguing when they have one T, and if nothing else, Carmelo's ejection shows that they're not going to show favortism to the star players with these new standards, which is a nice sign. They've always called techs for throwing headbands and such, so that's nothing new. He already had one technical, as well, so it's not like they immediately just tossed him without warning for throwing a headband.

Then again, I'm not really a big fan of Anthony, so I could be biased.

I am all for getting the over-the-top crybaby mentality out of the league, the throwing of the tempertantrum can get to be awfully annoying there has to be a place for the players to be allowed to show there displeasure with a call. If a player flops to the ground a kicks and screams like a 5 year old that didnt get a TMX Elmo or something then yea kick them out but a look or a questioning glance, seriously! We already have one No Fun League we dont need another one.

And talking about no balance I am watching Sam Cassell and Steve Javi going back and forth and had that been Rasheed he would have been tossed. The rule is good in principle but there is to much ambiguity.

King brought up a good point about players being given leeway with arguing when they have one T, and if nothing else, Carmelo's ejection shows that they're not going to show favortism to the star players with these new standards, which is a nice sign. They've always called techs for throwing headbands and such, so that's nothing new. He already had one technical, as well, so it's not like they immediately just tossed him without warning for throwing a headband.

Then again, I'm not really a big fan of Anthony, so I could be biased.

I'm not a big fan of his either, but for throwing a headband in the direction of his own bench, a technical is a little much. At least now, the players know that the law has been laid down, and they need to tread carefully.

Right here, Sam Cassell gets stripped of the ball in the backcourt, Denver gets a layup, and immediately afterwards he's animated right in the face of the ref saying he was fouled. No tech. No tech because he's Sam Cassell and it's a close game. If that's Shaun Livingston there's a good chance he gets a T. That's the problem with making such a huge deal out of this rule and putting it out there the way the NBA has, it can't be enforced evenly and impartially, and thus far it hasn't been.

You hope to get later calls to go your way.

This rule needs to be enforced evenly to be effective, but I'm all for it. Hell, I'm a huge Sixers fan, but AI drives me crazy with his whiney little girl routine after every call. It seems like every player complains about EVERYTHING now. Even good calls were getting bitched about. They need to bring back some sanity.

Throwing something can be deemed showing up the official. Even if it's in the opposite direction, or towards your own bench. I have no problem with a zero tolerance rule for throwing things like headbands, mouthguards, etc. I don't think throwing something is how an adult should act, regardless of how angry you are. And if the league wants to present a professional image, conditioning it's players to NOT throw stuff like a 6-year-old is a good start.

Having said that, I agree that the rule leaves too much open for bias or subjective interpretation. Who's to say that officials won't allow more from one person than they will another? And that, in and of itself, makes the rule a bad one. (Having said that, though, I'd rather it the way it is now, with ambiguity about what's a technical and what's not, rather than watch people like Rasheed bitch and moan for 2 minutes about an obvious foul call.)

I think this would be a great rule if you didn't have to trust the NBA officials to enforce it. The worst officiating crews in sports, year after year after year. Watching this rule take shape in the playoffs will be an absolute riot, when the foul calls evolve from mere stupidity into sheer mind-warping insanity.

Really, if you T someone up right away for arguing, it will eventually stop. This has to go for everyone. If you say something about a call, bam, T. It's unfortunate the league let it get to this point, but now something has to be done.

The rule is stupid. You can't show emotion over a call, and that's tough as hell. If someone gets called for a foul in a crucial part of the game, is he supposed to stay stoned face and be ok about the call? It's a horrible rule, and Stern is getting worse and worse each day.

That's not the rule though. If you show any sign of emotion they might give you a tech. It happened to Channing freaking Frye. And Nocioni in the Bull game, I think Charles mentioned it. Nocioni had like a "WHAAT" reaction, because he didn't expect a foul to be called and reacted like any intense competitor would, and he got a tech, even after trying to hold back a split second aftewards. The rule is stupid.

The 'Sheed rule is awesome. I'm sick of the bleeding vaginas disguised as NBA players. The only call that you should get upset about is one where you get steamrolled, it's an obvious charge, and yet the refs call you for a blocking foul.

99% of the foul calls are legit and 99.999999999999999999999999% of the time a player bitches that he got all ball when he got all wrist/forearm/face, or wasn't putting his elbows high on what was a moving screen anyway. Rasheed in particular could hit someone with a Raja Bell on Kobe flying clothesline and STILL throw a hissy fit when he got whistled for a foul.

Rasheed is a different case. But if you ever played organized ball, and if you're a competitive person, it's tough to hold in emotions in a case where you thought you didn't foul. And it's not like the referees are flawless. That 99% of the fouls calls being legit is bull. Everyone knows the refs have this superstar rule, and home court advantage shit, and all this other junk that they do to make the game close or whatever. They miss calls too; and just because you think they get them right doesn't make the rule any better.

right...and you're going to have all that anyway, rules or no rules...Michael Jordan used to get away with all kinds of bullshit (and no I'm not saying that just because I'm a Knicks fan), this rule wasn't around in his day...the biases are going to happen irregardless. Now we have a rule to finally corral some of these guys.

You don't get it. You don't get T'd up for not being able to hold in your emotions. You SHOULD get T'd up for routinely bitching like Sam I Am for 30 seconds, throwing shit, jumping up in the ref's face and showing them up etc.

In an average NBA game there are 40-50 foul calls made. Only a handful are borderline. In an average NBA game, unless it's a play at the end of a game where the team is trying to foul, you'll see dudes complain about almost every single whistle against them.

Tim Duncan's never committed a foul if you ask him and he's been playing for about a decade just as an example.

No, the rule is for showing some type of emotion, or as they call it "showing up the ref". There's a difference between bitching for 30-40 seconds, and just going like "AAH" for like a second or two, and getting whistled. And that's what's happening.