TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Saw it last night, won't spoil too much because there is a goddamn TON of shit going on in there but suffice to say the action was cool, the slow-mo shots didn't ruin anything, the graphics are incredible and the acting is ten times better then you'd expect it to be.

Fans of The Wire can finally see what it would be like if Jimmy McNulty was a complete and utter sleazebag.

*MAJOR WATCHMEN SPOILER*

If you see the extended unrated trailer of 300

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5306

at 03:38 of the counter there's a subliminal image. One of Zack Snyder's test images of Rorschach, the scene with the badge.

17518jw6.jpg

Going to see it tomorrow.

And how is a picture of Rorschach a "major Watchmen spoiler?"

Saw 300 last night. Manliest fucking movie ever. If you melt the cellucloid down and inject it in your veins, you'll grow three feet, chest hair, and muscles.

I thought the cinematography was beautiful. "Beautiful Violence" was the term a friend used, and I think that's accurate. I like that it wasn't just a historical view, but a highly mythologized view, displaying the spirit that the idea of the story inspires, not just relaying general events.

Yeah, I can't say that I've ever seen anything else quite like this. For a bit of amusement I think that when this comes out on DVD I'll get it and also the 1962 version of 300 Spartans and then compare the two.

I enjoyed it pretty well, but I can't say it's anywhere near the previous Miller adaptation (Sin City). It's kinda weird seeing these hideous monster type guys in what is essentially a historical action movie. It seems a little bit odd somehow.

My god, this made 27 million on Friday and is on a pace to do 67 million for the weekend. I thought it would do pretty well and be #1 this week, but did anyone expect that much?

And by the way, isn't the queen actually a whore to give herself to Theron?

300 was badass, plain and simple. I saw an NYT review of it that not-so-vaguely referred to it as Nazi'ish. :huh: Which reminded me why I hate movie reviewers.

There was a TMNT preview before my showing. I'm 24, I have no kids, but damnit I don't need an excuse to see this movie, embarassment be damned!

This movie KICKED SO MUCH ASS! Go see it NOW!

No, because she was practically forced into doing so so that Theron would have helped her at the council to convince them to send reinforcements for her husband. Instead, he didn't do his part of the bargain and backstabbed her.

If she was doing it for other reasons (ie: not to save Sparta) and was actually enjoying it, maybe.

I saw it tonight. I'd give it around an 8 or 8.5 score, something like that. The movie is what it is, and as long as you know what that is in the first place when you go into it, you'll more than likely enjoy it. My only complaint with the movie is, like most others, the story. In theory, it's not a horrible plot or anything, and once it gets going and all of the pieces fall into place it works just fine. My problem is just with the setup. Now I can't say that they totally just jumped into the movie without laying out the story, that just isn't true. They did take the time to try to set up the story, there is a good portion at the start of the film set aside just to do that. My problem with it however is that after they tried to do that, it still didn't feel like they really explained anything. Aside from that first part, I don't have a complaint about the flick. Once it got moving, and you knew where you were heading, it was just pure fun if you ask me.

Near the end, I took the time to take my eyes away from the screen to look around the packed theater, to notice the faces on everyone else. Every single person in the theater was simply transfixed on the screen. The guys looked totally into the film, many with smiles, and many of the women were actually shedding tears over certain parts of the film. I think they have a winner on their hands when it comes to the masses.

Just as a side note, there were three movies at the theater tonight that were totally packed with huge lines. Those three movies were 300, Amazing Grace, and Wild Hogs.

On another side note, what do you guys think of the blood effects in this movie? I for one really like the look of it in most movies that I've seen it in. I think the first movie with this type of specific effect that I noticed it in was Zatôichi (2003). I obviously wouldn't want to see that type of blood effect in every movie, but I've really liked it in all of the ones I've seen use it so far.

I didn't mind the blood effects at all but there has to be something said for a battlefield that looks like Mr. Clean just went over it with a mop. Seeing the Spartans sloshing around in random puddles of blood would've made for a nice touch.

I find it a bit odd that anyone would cry for the Spartans while watching this movie. It might be mesmerizing, but sad? Not really. Hell, the guys talk all through the movie about how much they want to fight and die in battle. They got what they wanted, so I'm not going to shed tears over them.

Here's my point regarding the Queen banging Theron. If I'm Leonidas I don't want my wife banging someone else no matter the reason. That was probably the weakest part of the movie, though it did lead to the great council scene and Theron getting stabbed, haha. It's this same type of female storyline logic that gives us wrestling angles like "Lita sleeps with Kane so he won't beat up Matt Hardy."

I find it a bit odd that anyone would cry for the Spartans while watching this movie. It might be mesmerizing, but sad? Not really. Hell, the guys talk all through the movie about how much they want to fight and die in battle. They got what they wanted, so I'm not going to shed tears over them.

I don't think they were crying because it was "sad". I think people were crying because they were happy or felt proud for the Spartans, that sort of thing. More of a happy cry.

I saw it last night. I was entertained, but only because it was awsomely bad. With all the good reviews it was getting I was disapointed. It was a fun cheesy action flick and all, but I really found every character unlikable. I actually think this film would have been perfect for an Ultimat Warrior cameo where he cuts a non-sensical promo. Plus the movie takes itself a little too seriously at times, when I should just be having fun with itself. I kept thinking that this would have been a lot of fun with Mike and the Bots. Overall, I feel ripped off paying $9 bucks to see this. If I waited until it made it the dollar theatre or even just payed a matinae price I'd would have felt better about seeing it.

I'd compare this movie to Starship Troopers. I liked ST a little better because it had a little fun with the facist undertones (also present in 300) and I like my T&A straight-forward, not ultra stylized and filled with homoeroticism.

You shouldn't be allowed to watch movies anymore for comparing this to Star Ship Troopers. Not liking the movie is one thing, but thats just crazy.

Loved this movie...Frank Miller and Zack Snyder should be very proud of this film which stands as both a well acted movie and a killer action flick...I look for Snyder to become a premier director(if he isn't already) where his movies are always anticipated as blockbusters...he seems to be taking "Watchmen" very seriously and willing to go to bat against the studio for the film too...

This movie was probably the most manliest movie I've seen in a while. It may not be a deep thought provoking story and a few scenes just drag even if the movie is just about two hours, but you can't really complain when there is all the killing and boobies that make up most of the film.

According to a program I saw on the History channel,

that three day battle saw the 300 Spartans take out 20 THOUSAND Persians before their inevitable demise. Incredible!

I saw it and loved it. There was a line to see the 12:00 noon showing Saturday, though the theater was 'only' 3/4s full.

So many visually astounding moments that should really be seen on the big screen. My favorite being the storm and the arrows blotting out the sun.

And I gotta say Xerxes entrance almost made me shit my pants.

I can't see anyone disliking this movie on the basis of delivering what the previews offered: guts, glory, speechifying, and really gorgeous visuals.

According to a program I saw on the History channel,

that three day battle saw the 300 Spartans take out 20 THOUSAND Persians before their inevitable demise. Incredible!

Well, thats what you get when you have professional and dedicated soldiers fighting against a slave army in a very very tight passage. I mean the entire movie was to scale, they certainly didn't show 300 Spartans during the battles.

Ha I loved Stelios. He had that wild-eyed fanatacism that set him apart from the other stoic Spartans.

He was the one who, prone, reached out to Leonidas at the end, right? I had a hard time sometimes telling the names apart.

Ha I loved Stelios. He had that wild-eyed fanatacism that set him apart from the other stoic Spartans.

He was the one who, prone, reached out to Leonidas at the end, right? I had a hard time sometimes telling the names apart.

Yep. Touching moment too.