TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cabbageboy

NFL Week 13

All the newspeople love the "flavor of the week" because it gives them good copy for a while.

They also love to do the competing "What's right/wrong with America's Team" kind of stories, either blowing the Giants, Bears, Colts, Cowboys or trashing them, depending on that week's results.

It's hard for them to use pre-canned copy to cover a team like the Saints because everything they've had in the can since Jim Mora Sr. flipped out was mostly "The Saints f*cked up again and lost" or "The Saints win on a miracle play", not "The Saints completely dominated the 49ers thanks to 4 TDs by Bush."

On the other hand, it's very easy to talk about long-standing big-market stories like Detroit's ineptitude under Mike Millen, Chicago's offensive woes, LT kicking ass and taking names in San Diego, Peyton putting up the yards in Indy, John York doesn't know WTF he's doing in San Francisco, Washington's big FA pickups this year are huge busts, etc.

For instance, the only reason ESPN realized that the Titans are winning games was that they knocked off the Manning brothers in dramatic fashion.

Coming up with stories that don't fit in this kind of template require some original thought, which is sorely missing from the journalism profession in general and not just with sportswriters.

Well, the Seahawks have been outscored by 3 points on the season, so maybe that's why no one is taking them seriously. They're an iffy team that is just getting by. For instance, if the Rams simply finish them the Seahawks are 6-6.

I remember it was only a month ago that the media and some fans were orgasming over the idea of a Manning vs. Manning Super Bowl.

There's still a chance for it. Indy/Chicago isn't a lock, but Peyton vs Ricky Jr isn't that unlikely.

Well, the Seahawks have been outscored by 3 points on the season, so maybe that's why no one is taking them seriously. They're an iffy team that is just getting by. For instance, if the Rams simply finish them the Seahawks are 6-6.

They're also 5-0 when both Hasselbeck and Alexander are in the lineup. This team is a lot better than they are getting credit for. The NFC is going to come down the the Cowboys, Seahawks and Bears. If the Seahawks end up with homefield, would you bet against them?

Yes, because the Seahawks never blow anybody out. Hasselbeck looked like crap this past game and putting 40 carries on Alexander shortly after returning from injury is just plain retarded. The only (potential) playoff team that wouldn't be able to beat the Seahawks under any circumstances is the Giants because they can't concentrate and would again suffer from 17 false starts and about 5 or 6 personal fouls.

They're also 5-0 when both Hasselbeck and Alexander are in the lineup. This team is a lot better than they are getting credit for. The NFC is going to come down the the Cowboys, Seahawks and Bears. If the Seahawks end up with homefield, would you bet against them?

Don't be silly. Chicago has 2 games over everyone else in the NFC with 4 left, and they aren't going to split the final 4 games against St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Detroit and Green Bay. Get real.

(Not to say the Bears won't lose any, but they will probably go 3-1, and even if they do split, they hold a tiebreak over Seattle.)

Don't be silly. Chicago has 2 games over everyone else in the NFC with 4 left, and they aren't going to split the final 4 games against St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Detroit and Green Bay. Get real.

(Not to say the Bears won't lose any, but they will probably go 3-1, and even if they do split, they hold a tiebreak over Seattle.)

The current scenario being peddled by one of the major sites (probably ESPN or CBS Sportsline) is that Chicago gets home-field advantage throughout the playoff but blows their first game thanks to shitty play by Grossman.

That would leave the 2nd team in prime position to come into the Conference Championship with homefield advantage.

As far as a team besides Chicago getting homefield advantage going INTO the playoffs and not by virtue of Chicago being eliminated, it would have to be the Saints.

If the Saints win out and Chicago drops 2 games, the Saints will get homefield advantage by virtue of a superior record against NFC teams. (3 of the 4 Saints losses would be against AFC teams, while all 4 of the remaining games Chicago plays are against NFC teams.)

Guest Felonies!

Boy, if they talked about Grossman failing any more than they already are, why, I might think that they want him to! I mean, it's frustrating enough to watch him shit his pants every week, but it's even worse knowing that the lazy sportswriters are setting him up to fail so as to create a "Bears can't win playoff games" myth.

Boy, if they talked about Grossman failing any more than they already are, why, I might think that they want him to! I mean, it's frustrating enough to watch him shit his pants every week, but it's even worse knowing that the lazy sportswriters are setting him up to fail so as to create a "Bears can't win playoff games" myth.

It wouldn't officially be a Bears myth... it would be centered on Grossman since he's the one who QBed them against Carolina last year and, barring unforseen circumstances, will pilot them into the playoffs this year.

But it isn't going to happen. The only game I'm concerned about is the Green Bay game because they usually play the Bears hard and Lovie might sit the starters out for the game. They're going to go 3-1 at worst.

Hell, I say they go 4-0 with that set of patsies on the way for them.

I'm just saying it's the only feasable way that Chicago loses homefield advantage.

Here's my problem with some things.

People act as if a lucky win isn't a win. It's still a win. No matter how you win the game, it's still a victory. The Seahawks may not look overly impressive when they win, but they still WIN. It's not their fault they have one of the best clutch kickers in the league in Brown. They don't have to do anything dramatic, they just have to keep it close and get it within FG range, and know that Brown will do what he is supposed to do and give them the win. It's like the Giant game last season, people kept harping on how Seattle shouldn't have beaten the Giants when Feely missed those FG's, but the simple fact is that they WON, and then marched into the post-season while the Giants were taken out relatively quickly.

As a Seattle fan, am I happy with how they've played? Not really. Alexander's still a question mark, our defense isn't playing as good as they did last year, and Hasselbeck's only in the game because Wallace cannot be trusted with the fucking ball (See Niners game), but they've still won their games. Do I think they'll make it back to the Superbowl? Hell no, not with how their playing, but all I'm saying is a win's a win, and shouldn't they be respected for going 8-4 with everything that's went wrong?