TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

NHL Thread: It's December Now.

Steve Sullivan returned from his groin injury to play against Ottawa tonight, and scored the last three goals in a decisive 6-0 victory by Nashville over the Senators. In a stunning turn of events, it was Emery who got pulled midway through the 2nd after allowing all six goals on just 14 shots. Gerber stopped all 19 shots against in 28 minutes played!

Ohhhhh, let's just forget that and move on.

There wasn't much Emery could have done about the first three goals. I turned it to the football game after the first and never looked back, so I can't comment on the rest. The Sens were also missing Alfredsson, Redden and Schaefer, and had two or three other guys playing through injuries.

Summing up living in Boston in one sentence: I went to the B's game last night, it was actually an exciting game that they won and, and the loudest pop of the night was for Dice-K Matsuzaka for dropping the puck pre-game.

I fucking hate living among Red Sox Nation.

Summing up living in Boston in one sentence: I went to the B's game last night, it was actually an exciting game that they won and, and the loudest pop of the night was for Dice-K Matsuzaka for dropping the puck pre-game.

I fucking hate living among Red Sox Nation.

I noticed that too.

I joked to the gal (who is not from New England) that this is the most attention that will be paid to the Bruins since they dealt Thornton and probably more attention than they got when they were actually, you know, good and stuff.

That sucks.

I wish the Penguins would be bought by someone who has money to build another arena. I keep hearing about this slots thing but nothing being done. Look just do what every other team does. Threaten to move which pisses off the fan base and the politicians allow ballot measures that will tax certain items. Problem solved.

This sucks because the Penguins are really good this season.

That sucks.

I wish the Penguins would be bought by someone who has money to build another arena. I keep hearing about this slots thing but nothing being done. Look just do what every other team does. Threaten to move which pisses off the fan base and the politicians allow ballot measures that will tax certain items. Problem solved.

Didn't they threaten to move already and nobody cared?

Speaking of Pittsburgh, Crosby has four more points tonight. He's on pace for over 100 assists and 150 points.

More than likely the teams gonna end up moving. I can't see an owner coming along and buying without the possibility of having a chance to move. Which is probably why Balsillie dropped out, because he probably wants to the move the team.

More than likely the teams gonna end up moving. I can't see an owner coming along and buying without the possibility of having a chance to move. Which is probably why Balsillie dropped out, because he probably wants to the move the team.

I don't think Balsillie would have moved the team if the Penguins got their new arena. I think what broke this deal is the fact that the NHL told him that regardless of what happens he has to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Now from a business stand point that's not going to fly because if the Penguins arena deal falls through and they start losing cash you don't want to have to be throwing money into a losing business.

I don't think Balsillie would have moved the team if the Penguins got their new arena. I think what broke this deal is the fact that the NHL told him that regardless of what happens he has to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Now from a business stand point that's not going to fly because if the Penguins arena deal falls through and they start losing cash you don't want to have to be throwing money into a losing business.

Actually, that's more what I was eluding too, but I failed. I really believe the same thing here, because it doesn't make any sense why someone drops out unless for that reason. And frankly, I'm thinking that the NHL is gonna wind up having to cave in and for probably less cash to them and the current owner(s) of the Penguins so that they can move.

I realistically don't see that team staying if there is no new stadium. Which sucks, because they seemingly have all the building blocks for a great team (Andre-Fleury, Staal, Malkin, Crosby).

As for the Islanders and Flyers trade, there isn't much to say about it beside it being cap space deal for the Islanders. Zhitnik's still pretty good, but I don't know if it'll help the Flyers (this trade that is).

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Penguins won't move to Hamilton, because as redbaron or CG said, placing a team there would kill the Canadian half of the Sabres fanbase. Furthermore, I don't see the Maple Leafs contingent changing allegiances at the drop of a hat. Oh, and they'll have to pay millions of dollars in encroachment penalties to the Maple Leafs and Sabres, too. OH AND Copps Coliseum is no longer a suitable NHL venue since it was built almost 25 years ago, which means that yet another arena will have to be built in Hamilton. Seems cheaper just to stay in Pittsburgh.

Leafs are kicking the shit out of the Rangers right now, 8-1 in the 2nd. Wellwood has a hat trick and Renney is leaving Lundqvist in to take his lumps.

Has anyone been to NHL.com's stats page? If you go there, they list the top 5 for points, goals, assists, and plus-minus...but I shit you not, the heading for the plus-minus leaders is, "BUD LIGHT PLUS/MINUS." That's...yeah. I mean, did NHL.com not have the money to put the plus-minus on their website unless it was sponsored? Did Anheuser-Busch think the plus-minus standing was the best use of sponsorship dollars? Is it more viewed than any of the other stats? Was a study done? Why no sponsorship on goals?

Very, very strange.

The Ducks and Sharks both have well known mascots.

wildwingym4.jpg

photogd2.jpg

Wildwing, of Anaheim, has managed to survive the Ducks' name and logo change, much to the delight of all. S.J. Sharkie, for San Jose, is the world's friendliest shark. But who will help their team the most in the long run? Wildwing willed his boys to one the of NHL's best starts ever, tonight S.J. wants to even it up.

Both mascots have credible innovations to their names; Sharkie is one of the few mascots to have his own website (no, t's not a myspace, although you could be sure that he/she would have tons of friends), and Wildwing has the honor of having a statue erected outside of the Ducks' arena. Both immortalizations are priceless.

The Ducks destroyed the Sharks, 5-0, the last time they met. Wildwing was a massive force in that victory, happily doling out the cheapest fuel there is - adrenaline. Now the game's in San Jose. Will Sharkie be lurking under the ice? We will soon find out.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Nobody cared the last time you made a stupid Darks-Shucks post.

EDIT: Sharks-Ducks

Guest Princess Leena

And Sabretooth for Buffalo. I remember hugging him when I was little, and he smelled like booze.

Nobody cared the last time you made a stupid Darks-Shucks post.

EDIT: Sharks-Ducks

Nobody cared the last time you changed your user name, but that didn't stop you. The Duck announcers kept saying that this felt like a playoff game, they were kinda right. Sharks pretty much controlled everything after the first period. I think it was right when S.J. Sharkie started banging on the glass that the Ducks lost it.

Speaking of mascots, the Capitals mascot has the cutest story of his birth.

This is the story of how Slapshot came to be the Washington Capitals' Mascot.

It all started long ago in a far away place called Hollywood where two birds, Sam the Eagle and Betty Bird, met and fell in love. They got married and had a beautiful egg which was unusually large in size. Before the egg could hatch, Sam was called to Washington, D.C. for an important government job. He was hired to pose as the American Eagle on the great Presidential Seal.

While they were en route to Ronald Reagan National Airport, their luggage was mishandled and their sweet egg was accidentally squashed. Fortunately, it was a tough egg and managed not to break. This was incredibly egg-sighting for Sam and Betty although their precious egg was now flatter and closely resembled a hockey puck!

Sam and Betty rushed over to the veterinarian's office. He suggested putting the egg on ice to keep it cool and prevent it from hatching too soon.

It was early November and while it was certainly brisk outside, there was still no snow! Thinking quickly, they decided to fly to the Capital Center and rest their egg in the center of the ice there. Sam and Betty waited patiently for weeks and finally, on November 17, 1995, the egg began to hatch!

The Capitals were scheduled to play a game that night. For the egg's sake, the teams agreed to wait patiently until the bird broke out of its shell. And then, it happened. Out of the egg, a six-foot, 190-pound eaglet emerged to hear a loud cheer from the crowd. His parents were so proud they decided to name him Slapshot. The team took Slapshot under their wings and gave him an egg-zecutive position as their official mascot.

Our favorite eagle now lives in his nest on top of the MCI Center, swooping down into crowds during Caps games and cheering his team to victory. And that's the egg-credible story of Slapshot's birth!

That sucks.

You've got your wish.

Frank D'Angelo, head of SteelBack Beer has submitted a bid. Phil Esposito has been a spokesperson for them for a while now, and has been kinda acting as a middle man. This on the heels of D'Angelo's failed bid to buy the Ottawa Renegades about two weeks ago. He mentioned this in his press release, the great marketability of SteelBack in the Steel City.

Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal win, Buffalo loses. That's a good night of hockey.

Star Ocean, at least you actually previewed a game this time.

Tell the crickets I'm sorry for interrupting them.

TSN.ca's Ice Chips says that Montreal has been trying to acquire Sergei Fedorov for some depth at centre. They're also saying that Federov "could help keep the Habs in the playoff race". Only three teams in the league have more points than the Habs, so take that for what it's worth.

I'd love to see #91 in rouge, blue et blanc, but Higgins is coming back soon, and Fedorov isn't exactly lighting it up (three of his eight this season are with the man-advantage, and the Habs don't need much help there). 6.1 mil could be better spent on a stud defenceman on February 28.

Tell the crickets I'm sorry for interrupting them.

TSN.ca's Ice Chips says that Montreal has been trying to acquire Sergei Fedorov for some depth at centre. They're also saying that Federov "could help keep the Habs in the playoff race". Only three teams in the league have more points than the Habs, so take that for what it's worth.

I'd love to see #91 in rouge, blue et blanc, but Higgins is coming back soon, and Fedorov isn't exactly lighting it up (three of his eight this season are with the man-advantage, and the Habs don't need much help there). 6.1 mil could be better spent on a stud defenceman on February 28.

I have a better chance of joining the Canadiens this season than Sergei Fedorov. And I can't skate.

The salary cap precludes Montreal from making a deal for Fedorov. They're too close to the cap to give him up without giving up anything significant, and if they're wanting him for depth, they're not going to want to give up anything significant.

Boston v. Ottawa tomorrow, Chris. Chara returns for the first time since giving up the middling Senators for the inadequate Bruins.

Is Big Z going to be booed out of the building, or are people going to be too busy tending to Redden's numerous injuries to notice? Find out tomorrow at 7!

Fedorov would be a nice second line center that can help with Ryder and Kovi a lot, but that means probably giving up a talent like Ryder or even Markov with a few draft picks because of the salary.

Boston v. Ottawa tomorrow, Chris. Chara returns for the first time since giving up the middling Senators for the inadequate Bruins.

Is Big Z going to be booed out of the building, or are people going to be too busy tending to Redden's numerous injuries to notice? Find out tomorrow at 7!

7:30. Not 7.

And of course he'll be booed ... because it's so heinous that a player would take advantage of an opportunity to sign for a huge amount of money rather than stay at "home" for a "hometown discount" ... because Chara IS from Ottawa, isn't he? Even if he's not, he at least would reward the team that drafted him, right? I mean, it's not like Ottawa traded for him in a terribly one-sided deal that allowed them to get rid of a malcontent.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't boo former Bruins when they come back to Boston. Well, except for Hal Gill. But I booed him more intensely when he was wearing the Spoked B than I do now.