TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

Paul Heyman sent home

The thing is, lying to the internet is pointless. As soon as Heyman tries to comeback everyone on the net will see it for what it is. It's not like we'll actually believe Heyman is a rebel trying to take over, we'll see him as the same dog-whipped employee that is currently is/was.

Guest jjis
The thing is, lying to the internet is pointless. As soon as Heyman tries to comeback everyone on the net will see it for what it is. It's not like we'll actually believe Heyman is a rebel trying to take over, we'll see him as the same dog-whipped employee that is currently is/was.

Since when has something being pointless stopped Vincent Kennedy Mcmahon?

Considering the amount of placement that Angle's release got on WWE.com, I doubt it's a work. WWE.com has always operated "away" from the head office like this, and they've gotten in shit for it before as well.

People who are saying that is a work are missing the point. I'm begining to think you're just saying that to sound smart.

So what if it's a work? It makes no storyline sense, has not been built up to and where the HELL do they go from there with the story? Heyman's fired. So what? He already was doing well with the heel turn and didn't need anything to add to his character like this.

What I don't get here is why flat out fire Heyman? If he was butting heads with Vince backstage, Vince should have just removed him as head writer for ECW. Keep him as an on air talent, since basically everything on the show revolves around Heyman as the Evil Commish.

People who are saying that is a work are missing the point. I'm begining to think you're just saying that to sound smart.

So what if it's a work? It makes no storyline sense, has not been built up to and where the HELL do they go from there with the story? Heyman's fired. So what? He already was doing well with the heel turn and didn't need anything to add to his character like this.

I doubt very much that it's a work but I'm not ruling it out - if I'm saying that just to sound smart then so be it but this is a strange freakin' business. Plus, even if it's not a work at the moment, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be turned into an angle down the road, ala Hardy/Edge or other shoots that have been turned into angles like Flair/Bischoff and so on. Heyman and Vince could easily make amends and work together again. Vince has given him several chances with Smackdown previously and then again with the ECW re-launch after dismissing him from creative. I really believe that Vince dumps Paul more or less because of Stephanie, Brian Gerwitz and Kevin Dunn not wanting to work with him.

Now, I'm not saying that this is something that WWE would do or that it's even a good, logical idea. I'm just throwing it out there. There could have been such a level of dismay on the part of WWE about Sunday's disaster of a PPV that Heyman convinced Steph and Vince that the only way ECW would rebound from the PPV - in the eyes of both whatever original ECW diehards remain and disgruntled new fans unhappy about the PPV, is if they generate an internet buzz that Heyman was fired and sent home. This would at least stop discussion about the bad show. Heyman's contract was expiring. Maybe he wanted to step away a bit?

This would play into Heyman's promo at the PPV where he said the old ECW was dead, this is the Global ECW led by Paul Heyman and long after Paul Heyman was dead the ECW letters would remain.

To diehard original ECW fans and smarks - it looks like Paul Heyman was pissed off over WWE's direction with ECW, blew up prior to the taping and was fired as result. To new ECW fans - the comment about him 'leading the global ECW' plays into wwe.com reporting that he was dismissed due to a disgruntled locker room and declining ratings.

They could produce a Heyman-less ECW for a few weeks or months before bringing him back into the fold - whether it's on creative or just an on-air character - to fight for ECW's to be counter culture to WWE, with ECW originals siding with him. Yes, it would contradict the storyline we've seen with him fighting against ECW originals but that storyline was also not played up all that much and it's not unlike WWE to want fans to forget something.

Again - this all sounds like horseshit and I doubt there is any chance in hell of it being the actual situation. But I think wwe.com is blurring the line between work/shoot intentionally for a reason.

I've always like Paul Heyman's booking, but I'm not really torn up about this. It's really time that TNA and WWE start looking for the next great writer/booker instead of rehashing the Rhodes, Russos, Heymans and Cornettes of the world. It's a different era and we need bookers who understand that.*

*I have zero confidence that the braintrusts in either promotion recognize this, nor do I think they could ever find that person if he was out there.

Eh...the problem isn't going to Heyman, Cornette, etc. for booking purposes. The problem is telling them to book, then having Jarrett or Vince or whoever impose their own vision on them. Heyman booking ECW would've been fine if Vince and Stephanie weren't fucking everything up.

I could see it working if done right. IMO, people are more passionate about about who's actually running ECW or whose vision is being presented than just about anything that's currently on the show now. If the shows were entertaining, word got out that Heyman was put back into power and given more free reign over the product, and if the Originals were made to look strong, it could bring a lot of people back to the show. It wouldn't even be that much of a storyline contradiction, because Heyman could always say that Vince forced him to act against the Originals (which is what most people probably believe anyway).

Not saying it's a work at all, but if it was, it may not be a bad idea.

The problem is this though. Since the downfall of the old territory systems who exactly is out there that is an up and coming booker? Sapolsky from ROH is about all I can think of. Most people anymore don't get into wrestling soley to become a booker. They are either wrestlers who retire (or maybe not retire) or there are writers who use it as a springboard to do something else.

I could see it working if done right. IMO, people are more passionate about about who's actually running ECW or whose vision is being presented than just about anything that's currently on the show now. If the shows were entertaining, word got out that Heyman was put back into power and given more free reign over the product, and if the Originals were made to look strong, it could bring a lot of people back to the show. It wouldn't even be that much of a storyline contradiction, because Heyman could always say that Vince forced him to act against the Originals (which is what most people probably believe anyway).

Not saying it's a work at all, but if it was, it may not be a bad idea.

You don't need to work the internet fans to do that. You just need to actually put on a good product. The working of the fans on the internet is just done for kicks and to get a buzz out of 'fooling the smarts'. It serves no real purpose other than kicks, because the internet fans make up such a small percentage of your fanbase even if they are usually the most vocal ones. It's the casual fans you need to worry about and as far as casual fans are aware, they don't even know any of this has happened and won't know until ECW airs.

Someone called into the Ron and Fez show on XM Radio earlier and said Heyman had been fired. He also said it was on wwe.com, but I just see the article from yesterday...so who knows, it could have been someone working for WWE that called in.

Guest Overworked

ECW version 2 was always on a suicidal track. From 2nd One Night Stand which was more about WWE wrestlers than anything else, too restarting the promotion but only giving them one hour with nothing to build a weekly show on with three (maybe) matches and divas and only one title belt. From there, the WWE goes out of their way to make ECW wrestlers seem weak jobbers by throwing them on Raw or Smackdown in "Invasion" angles to get bitchslapped by WWE wrestlers. Then the releasing and firing of ECW original wrestlers like Credible though lousy is at least an ECW name. And throw on WWE made wrestlers and paint ECW on them. It also doesn't help that throughout this time period that the majority of the creative Staff hates hardcore wrestling to begin with and Heyman and pacified ECW's edge with a sports entertainment sheath.

With ECW in the shape as it is, I wouldn't blame any of the originals left to one by one formally request releases, though I understand perfectly well that they would stay for the money. I think its outright stupidity to fire Heyman. Because if you were Vince why would you want to give that revolutionary spark to another promotion?

Vince it seems wants to touch every aspect of wrestling and turn it into his own vision. Problem is whenever he reaches Outside his own WWE domain into other areas, both wrestling and not. (ECW, nWo, WCW, WBF, XFL) he pretty much ruins it. He would be better served to concentrate on his own decaying promotion and not try to expand out. The best case situation for ECW ver 2 was just giving Heyman the creative control over it, trust that Sci Fi Network would only draw "just so much" people that his hardcore edgy wrestling that McMahon doesn't like won't necessarly turn off those imaginary main stream fans he thinks are in the majority. If he had left ECW alone in Heymans hands and trust him, he would have made a chunk of money because those old fans would have been faithful to an ECW product that reminds them of the original, and that loyality would have translated to buying DVDs merchandise etc that the WWE would bank on.

But unfortunately that was a dream. Reality is, If Vince didn't create it and he somehows gain fiancial control over it, he will do whatever it takes to rape it, punish it, burn it, degrade it, and finally pour salt over it so nothing could regrow from it ever again.

As silly as it may seem, I think Vince's biggest fear is that Heyman's vision of ECW would take off on Vince's platform.

Which is basically what happened 1997. Heyman's idea took off on Vince's platform.

I'll post it here as well because it relates to Heyman:

Wade Keller is saying it was Vince's call to only promote two matches ahead of time so as to focus the hype on those matches.

However, Bryan Alvarez is saying that EVERYTHING on D2D, as well as the decision to promote just the two matches, is down to Heyman and he's been in complete spin mode since Sunday night.

Wade Keller is saying it was Vince's call to only promote two matches ahead of time so as to focus the hype on those matches.

However, Bryan Alvarez is saying that EVERYTHING on D2D, as well as the decision to promote just the two matches, is down to Heyman and he's been in complete spin mode since Sunday night.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Heyman probably did make the call to only promote two matches, but why would he write a PPV as horrible as D2D? I can see Vince writing something like that because it fits in with what he wants, but Heyman? Even assuming D2D was all Heyman, why would Vince suddenly give Heyman full control of anything? To give himself an out when it fell flat on its face and credibly blame everything on Heyman so he had an excuse to send him home?

From Meltzer:

--Obviously the Paul Heyman situation is something that is going to require a major feature, but there is a lot that is out on the story that isn't correct. The story is not a work in the sense that Heyman was sent home, and the WWE web site reactions actually read like honest reactions. Everything reads on the web site as if it's storyline, and tonight with the Heyman promos, for those who are convinced it is, you'll have more ammunition. Except it's not. It was inevitable, for the same reasons it was inevitable that Heyman's previous runs in creative ended. There are two different ideas of what the business is, and the idea of the guy who owns the company will always win out at the end.

Looks like it was the latest version of the usual Heyman bust up with Vince.

a tremendous run in the minor league promotion that a tiny fraction of people saw (which was still the second best American promotion in that time period)

Did you actually watch OVW when Heyman was running it?

From Meltzer:

--Obviously the Paul Heyman situation is something that is going to require a major feature, but there is a lot that is out on the story that isn't correct. The story is not a work in the sense that Heyman was sent home, and the WWE web site reactions actually read like honest reactions. Everything reads on the web site as if it's storyline, and tonight with the Heyman promos, for those who are convinced it is, you'll have more ammunition. Except it's not. It was inevitable, for the same reasons it was inevitable that Heyman's previous runs in creative ended. There are two different ideas of what the business is, and the idea of the guy who owns the company will always win out at the end.

Looks like it was the latest version of the usual Heyman bust up with Vince.

I sorta like how Meltzer and the other internet wrestling reporters are basically reporting that heyman has indeed been let go from WWE but the WWE is basically making it sound like he was just sent home to cool off for a bit, like a year or two ago or its a storyline.

I don't want to say that Heyman has been fired from the WWE because normally WWE.com posts something saying a certain wrestler has been released or let go and they wish them the best of luck, plus Heyman's name is still being thrown around on the WWE website along with the ECW show as well, so I'm guessing that Heyman was only sent home for a little but wasn't actually let go. Plus something that really stands out is something I saw after the PPV.

WWE.com had these clips about what happen after the PPV and they were a Heyman promo with him ending the promo saying "I'm done, thank you." and him and the Big Show hugging after the EC match with Big Show saying I'm sorry. After the hug, Heyman stayed in the chamber for a second and just sorta started looking around.

I don't know, just saying Heyman's gone from the WWE for good, just seems like a pre-mature statement at the moment.

Meltzer hasn't said Heyman has been let go or fired, but a lot of other places are seeing he's basically been let go. Heyman has been sent home and he'll probably sit there doing nothing until he's either brought back again or they decide to formally let him go.

I don't know, just saying Heyman's gone from the WWE for good, just seems like a pre-mature statement at the moment.

It is, but that doesn't stop some people. He's gone for a while, but it may turn into forever. Most likely, though, he'll return when Vince panics enough to reach out.

The most likely outcome is Heyman stays home until Vince brings him back or signs him to a new deal just to keep him away from anyone else. I'd be shocked if Heyman actually left WWE, but if he was ever going to really leave, it would be now.

a tremendous run in the minor league promotion that a tiny fraction of people saw (which was still the second best American promotion in that time period)

Did you actually watch OVW when Heyman was running it?

Yes. It was still better then Raw and Smackdown (which was mostly a mess from last spring til just this summer). The talent was obviously inferior but the product didn't feel like a mess as Raw did. The Punk/Albright feud was done fairly well, probably better then most of the main roster stuff was producing. He managed to make the Spirit Squad much more entertaining and there seemed to be a idea in place which made the shows roll through like well oiled machine, while Raw and Smackdown were stuck in neutral during this time period.

And just so everyone knows Heyman isn't hurting for money due to his upcoming inheritance. His father owns an extremely lucrative law practice. He was listed as a creditor in the ECW bankruptcy case as being owed some 3.5 million dollars, and he still has many times that over in savings. So money isn't the big thing Paul has to worry about.