TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Guest Smues
Latest on Adam Morrison: Likely done for the season with a torn ACL.

That's one heck of a sophmore slump.

I think AMMO needs a a new look in 2008. Possibly shaving that moustache could be a start. Maybe some tattoos? Cornrows like Miller? Maybe a trade to Utah would help. I'm sure Sloan likes Gonzaga guys and they need a shooting guard.

I think AMMO needs a a new look in 2008. Possibly shaving that moustache could be a start. Maybe some tattoos? Cornrows like Miller? Maybe a trade to Utah would help. I'm sure Sloan likes Gonzaga guys and they need a shooting guard.

I'm sure Utah would take him... if his ACL WASN'T TORN.

I personally think it takes more than two years to call someone a worse ever pick.

Honestly, his game was never built around athletism, and I can tell you now, because of the injury, during his rehab, he will be shooting twice as much as he does now, so his shot is going to be more accurate. Give him a few years, he will know how to get open...its just him adjusting to the NBA game. He will be fine. I just don't think Charlotte is the place for him.

He should be a high touch having starter, not a 6th man, and with Richardson, Wallace, and Carroll there, he ain't making that rotation.

I personally think it takes more than two years to call someone a worse ever pick.

Honestly, his game was never built around athletism, and I can tell you now, because of the injury, during his rehab, he will be shooting twice as much as he does now, so his shot is going to be more accurate. Give him a few years, he will know how to get open...its just him adjusting to the NBA game. He will be fine. I just don't think Charlotte is the place for him.

He should be a high touch having starter, not a 6th man, and with Richardson, Wallace, and Carroll there, he ain't making that rotation.

Didnt say worst ever. I said worst from 2000-07 even though worst top 3 pick ever probably wont be too far off. He was the epitome of one dimensional and that one dimension translated terribly when not playing most of his games in the WCC.

Okay, seriously, he averaged 12 points a game as a rookie with alot of those games as 6th. He shot a bad percentage. So the hell what? Look at the best players in the league and besides guys like Carmelo and Lebron, his scoring average is above what theirs were.

He was drafted to be a scorer. 12 points a game is in no way, shape or form terrible.

By comparison(I'll just use the bulls players since you are a bulls fan...I think), Ben Gordon came into the league and averaged only 3 more points than him and shot only 4 percent better. Luol Deng came in and averaged the same amount of points and shot around 6 percent better.

And I think the best example is that he and Kirk Hinrich had basically the same numbers as rookies. Hinrich - 12 points, 39 percent shooting, 3 turnovers. Morrison - 11.8 points, 38 percent shooting, 2 turnovers.

And the difference is the Bulls geared their offense around Hinrich and Gordons coming off screens and shooting. Charlotte, a slow it down half court, feed emeka and gerald Wallace team, didn't mesh with Morrisons game and he still put up very decent numbers for a rookie.

So, once again, my point, its tough to call the guy a terrible pick after one arguably decent year as a rookie, and definately ridiculous to say its not a stretch to call him one of the worse top three picks ever.

Hell, its ridiculous to say in the last 7 years when Kwame Brown, Jay Williams and Stromile Swift are involved.

If you had looked at where dh86 is from, you'd know he is a Pistons fan. Just because someone has the sense to argue your trade scenarios involving Kobe and Turiaf's future doesn't mean they are a fan of the team involved. It just means they are calling you out on your comments and forcing you to explain.

Well okay, fine, Adam Morrison had a better or comparable rookie year as the entire Detroit Piston roster except for Antonio Mcdyess. Excuse me for not stopping and looking at someones profile halfway through a post.

And the whole "sense" thing, once again, the trade scenario, still hasn't shown how the Bulls get worse in even the slightest way.

But since you pointed it out, I do need to respond to him calling Ben Wallace a good on the ball defender. Quick question. In his playoff history, name one offensive player that Ben Wallace has ever slowed down when defending him. Name ONE. I'll wait....

Hakeem Olajawon(before the got hurt) Kenyon Martin, Antoine Walker, Shaq, anyone. They all killed him one on one. and the Pistons always had to go and double his man late. The team didn't get over the hump until they added Rasheed to defend the number one big man offensive threat and allowed Ben to roam. Yes, he was/is an incredible rebounder...one of the best there has ever been honestly, and a great weak side shot blocker. But once again, I am saying, you aren't losing MUCH if you trade him defensively especially on the ball. Everyone else around him is just going to have to be a better defender. And in the proposed trade, you still have Kobe, Thabo, Noah, Turiaf, Duhon

Jameson Curry and his 6'8 wingspan with Kobe there to tutor him defensively, and Adrian Griffin. The team would be fine defensively. They would lose some rebounding, but you do add this guy that happens to be the best offensive player in the NBA.

I will just say it like this. The Chicago bulls, as they presently are, will not and can not get out of the East. They can't beat Detroit, I am not sure about Boston, but lets just say that they will not be able to guard any of the big three and I doubt that they could beat them. I don't think they could take Jersey or a healthy Toronto or Cleveland(well...maybe Cleveland).

They will win alot of regular season games, but they will not win the east, championship...well..ever. Not like this. So yes, adding one of the best players in the NBA at the expense of some good players would get a better chance.

Some nationally televised preseason games this week.

Thursday on TNT: Utah @ LA Lakers, 10:00 ET

Friday on ESPN: Cleveland @ Boston, 7:30 ET; Sacramento @ LA Lakers, 10:00 ET

Edited by alfdogg

Okay, seriously, he averaged 12 points a game as a rookie with alot of those games as 6th. He shot a bad percentage. So the hell what? Look at the best players in the league and besides guys like Carmelo and Lebron, his scoring average is above what theirs were.

He was drafted to be a scorer. 12 points a game is in no way, shape or form terrible.

By comparison(I'll just use the bulls players since you are a bulls fan...I think), Ben Gordon came into the league and averaged only 3 more points than him and shot only 4 percent better. Luol Deng came in and averaged the same amount of points and shot around 6 percent better.

And I think the best example is that he and Kirk Hinrich had basically the same numbers as rookies. Hinrich - 12 points, 39 percent shooting, 3 turnovers. Morrison - 11.8 points, 38 percent shooting, 2 turnovers.

And the difference is the Bulls geared their offense around Hinrich and Gordons coming off screens and shooting. Charlotte, a slow it down half court, feed emeka and gerald Wallace team, didn't mesh with Morrisons game and he still put up very decent numbers for a rookie.

So, once again, my point, its tough to call the guy a terrible pick after one arguably decent year as a rookie, and definately ridiculous to say its not a stretch to call him one of the worse top three picks ever.

Hell, its ridiculous to say in the last 7 years when Kwame Brown, Jay Williams and Stromile Swift are involved.

Averaging 12 points per game is terrible if it includes you shooting 4-12 every night while contributing absolutely nothing else to the roster. Adam Morrison's only NBA level talent coming into his rookie season was his jumpshot. He is slow, cant defend a soul, cant rebound,pass,block, hustle or many other basketball related attributes. Michael Jordan drafted him because he portrayed a deadly jumper at Gonzaga. Gordon,Deng and Hinrich actually made their teams better as rookies. Morrison became so much of an albatross, that he lost playing time to Walter Hermann as the year went on.

Averaging 12 points per game is terrible if it includes you shooting 4-12 every night while contributing absolutely nothing else to the roster. Adam Morrison's only NBA level talent coming into his rookie season was his jumpshot. He is slow, cant defend a soul, cant rebound,pass,block, hustle or many other basketball related attributes. Michael Jordan drafted him because he portrayed a deadly jumper at Gonzaga. Gordon,Deng and Hinrich actually made their teams better as rookies. Morrison became so much of an albatross, that he lost playing time to Walter Hermann as the year went on.

Ben Gordon. He is/was a jump shooter when he came into the league and shot close to Morrisons percentage.

And once again, his rookie year was better than the ENTIRE Pistons roster's rookie years. He took alot of bad shots and was inconsistant. For every game he would shoot 50-55 percent he would shoot 30 percent in two others. Inconsistancy, low shooting percentages...these are things that rookies go through becuase they are playing an entirely new game. For some reason this means Morrison is a bust and the worse top three pick of the decade?

But he is in the league for one purpose. To be a scorer. He led rookies in scoring. No. It wasn't a terrible year. It wasn't a great year, but it was a rookie year just the same. And in the preseason before destroying his knee, look at what his coaches and teammates were saying about his improvements defensively.

He improved greatly every year in college. He obviously has the work ethic. The guy is going to be fine if he gets back from this injury okay.

Ben Gordon. He is/was a jump shooter when he came into the league and shot close to Morrisons percentage.

And once again, his rookie year was better than the ENTIRE Pistons roster's rookie years. He took alot of bad shots and was inconsistant. For every game he would shoot 50-55 percent he would shoot 30 percent in two others. Inconsistancy, low shooting percentages...these are things that rookies go through becuase they are playing an entirely new game. For some reason this means Morrison is a bust and the worse top three pick of the decade?

But he is in the league for one purpose. To be a scorer. He led rookies in scoring. No. It wasn't a terrible year. It wasn't a great year, but it was a rookie year just the same. And in the preseason before destroying his knee, look at what his coaches and teammates were saying about his improvements defensively.

He improved greatly every year in college. He obviously has the work ethic. The guy is going to be fine if he gets back from this injury okay.

What in the blue hell does "had a better rookie season than the Pistons roster" have to do with this conversation? Dude came in the league to shoot and had the worst field goal percentage in the NBA . Ben Gordon had 3.5% better FG, 7% higher 3pt and 15% higher FT....when you are tallking about hundreds of shots taken, a few percentage points are significant. Swift and Williams both became pretty bad pros but even they had more than one basketball attribute that were higher than a high school level.

Because you are maintaining that they guy is going to be a bust because of one year of production. Yet he had a comparible rookie year and in some cases better rookie year than Allstars and ALL NBA players. You are using one year as basis of your argument. And that one year wasn't THAT bad. He shot a really bad percentage. yeah. Because he took bad shots. Something that can be remedied.

Using your logic, Chauncey Billups was one of the worse high draft picks ever.

I could see if this was 2010 or something and you could look at his body of work and say "Yeah, what a bust". But one year?

Once again, I repeat, he was brought in to be a scorer and he led rookies in scoring. His other traits were his competitiveness and will to win, which is a very important trait. Unlike, say Tyrus Thomas or Stromile Swift, who never seem to give two fucks what happens in the game.

Because you are maintaining that they guy is going to be a bust because of one year of production. Yet he had a comparible rookie year and in some cases better rookie year than Allstars and ALL NBA players. You are using one year as basis of your argument. And that one year wasn't THAT bad. He shot a really bad percentage. yeah. Because he took bad shots. Something that can be remedied.

Using your logic, Chauncey Billups was one of the worse high draft picks ever.

I could see if this was 2010 or something and you could look at his body of work and say "Yeah, what a bust". But one year?

Once again, I repeat, he was brought in to be a scorer and he led rookies in scoring. His other traits were his competitiveness and will to win, which is a very important trait. Unlike, say Tyrus Thomas or Stromile Swift, who never seem to give two fucks what happens in the game.

Led rookies in scoring? Maybe in the universe where Brandon Roy wasnt drafted. Maybe if you keep repeating your "facts" they'll come true one day.

Jason Caffey has joined the ranks of former pro athletes who were flying high in April and shot down in May.

April in this case means the $35 million contract he signed with the Golden State Warriors during his career in the National Basketball Association, and May would be now, when the 34-year-old former forward has filed for bankruptcy seeking protection from his creditors.

According to the Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register, the former Milwaukee Bucks forward filed for bankruptcy in U.S. Court in Mobile claiming $1.9 million in debts and about $1.15 million in assets.

Caffey played in 144 games for the Bucks over three seasons, from 2000-'03.

"The only reason I filed bankruptcy was to get these arrest warrants off me," Caffey told the Press-Register.

Caffey was jailed this year in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and is facing an arrest warrant in Georgia, both stemming from back child-support issues.

He has fathered eight children with seven women.

"The guy has made more money than he has sense," said attorney Clarence Roby, who represents a Louisiana woman who is seeking child support for two children. "He has not paid anything since May 2005. . . . He is the epitome of a deadbeat dad."

More than half of Caffey's reported monthly income of $7,000 goes to alimony and child support, according to the story.

"Who wouldn't have trouble with that after retiring five years ago?" Caffey said.

A lawyer who is defending Caffey in a Georgia child-support case, Jim Altman, said Caffey's obligation of $4,250 a month was not in line with what he is making now.

"As an NBA basketball star, he was making millions of dollars," Altman told the Press-Register. "It kind of goes to show how the system fails people like Jason."

Caffey signed a $35 million contract with the Warriors after the 1997-'98 season, which he spent with the Chicago Bulls.

But Caffey said his career ended with three years left on the deal, worth $12 million, and that after taxes the deal was really worth $17 million. He said his former wife, who divorced him in 2006, got half his money.

In February 2000, when the Bucks were looking to trade for him, Caffey criticized Milwaukee and said he didn't want to play for the franchise. When he joined the Bucks he said he didn't mean what he said about the city, that it was only a negotiation ploy.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=677446

Guest Smues
"As an NBA basketball star, he was making millions of dollars," Altman told the Press-Register. "It kind of goes to show how the system fails people like Jason."

Yeah he was making millions of dollars, the system sure did fail him!

He has fathered eight children with seven women.

Damn and I thought Eazy-E was a playa. Is that more than Shawn Kemp?

The Hawks have decided it is best to wait until the summer to discuss the contract extension of Josh Smith.

When he will be a restricted free agent.

In the summer after he added a very real post game and according to his production the last few years will probably average around 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 steals and 4 assist this year.

*sigh*

Well Phoenix. There is your replacement for Shawn if he decides to opt out.

Marc Stein reporting that the Minnesota Timberwolves are close to sending Ricky Davis and Mark Blount to Miami for Antoine Walker, Michael Doleac and Wayne Simien.

Link

Gotta rebuild that championship roster, right?

It is the rule of the NBA.

If you draft a young guard, you trade Ricky Davis immediately before he corrupts the fuck out of them.

I was about to ask why then i remember the what he did to Al Jeffersons production when he got added to that boston roster(although it did get them in the playoffs).

Buying out Walker or not...it really doesn't matter.

Hopefully the Wolves can get a 1st round pick out of the deal.

They did, according to the Wolves' website.

Davis and Blount to Miami for Walker, Doleac, Simien, a first-rounder and cash considerations.