TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Well thats not fair. JR Smith didn't run from anyone. And why is Nate robinson chasing him in every picture. Nate got to him and said "Oh Shit...there isn't anyone to hold me back....up...let me throw up my hands and look angry."

So after giving it has been a few days and I have had a chance to look at spots writers pretending that the NBA will never recover from the horrific horrific incident the other night, I have to ask, what the fuck is the big fucking deal.

As I said earlier. This type of thing happens at least 3-4 times a year in baseball. Bench clearing brawls. And it gets 2 nights of press tops. They show some replays, the fines/suspensions are handed out and people move on. Same thing as in Nascar and Hockey. But why is basketball so different?

At first I thought it was the danger involved in the other sports thus making the fights more understandable. Like, Bench clearing brawls in baseball are usually started when a pitcher goes after a batter. That is potentially is very dangerous. Or when causing a guy to wreck in Nascar. But then I got to hockey and it threw that theory out the window. A flagrant foul on a break is just as dangerous as anything that is happening out there that would cause a fight.

Then I said, maybe its because it is a predominately black sport, but that doesn't fly either because noone raises too much of a eyebrow when all the shoving slapping and punching occurs on the football field at least 5-6 times a game and that is usually involving black guys so thats not it.

I would love to just point at what happened in Detroit a few years back, but honestly, it was like this before. Big fights in basketball were always blown out of proportion but even moreso now.

I am left to blame the NBA itself for how it handles these situations. In every other sport, they don't come out with a press conference after every fight saying how this is a ugly day for the league and it won't be stood for. They just hand out the fines/suspensions, the players do their apology thing(sometimes) and they move on. But the NBA. The commisioner has to give a statment. Stu Jackson has to give a statement aplogizing to all the viewers for having to see players getting into a fight. Because lord knows that should never happen in a full contact sports competition. Before anyone else can say something they line up to pretend as though that something horrific has happend and that it should never happen again...once again in a game where grown men play it and it is high intensity and physicality involved.

Sport writers are pretending that it is incidents like this that is damaging the NBA's image across the country. I personally say it is the NBA leaders reaction to these situations that is far more damaging. Its sports. You find a competitive sport anywhere in the world and you will find fighting. Except like tennis and golf because they seldom have a opportunity to hurt each other in those sports. It is the nature of sport. These are games and events played by humans thus they are subject to the human condition. It isn't horrific when a fight breaks out. Truth be told, its what people salivate for. This thread hasn't been nearly as busy in the last month as it has been since this fight. I will guarentee that searches for the NBA has gone up 100percent in the last day or so. ANd if this game were to get national converage for the rematch in Denver, it would be one of the highest rated games of the year. People aren't horrified by this. Its the thing that builds rivalries. The Lakers/Kings rivialry really didn't kick off until Doug Christie hit Rick Fox with a uppercut. The Lakers/Heat matchup was huge because everyone wanted Shaq to take Kobes head off. Pistons Pacers was big for the rest of the year until Artest got traded.

People can relate to a guy getting pissed another guy hit him hard, or pissed that a guy just took down your teammate. Until they are told they are horrified by this boarish behavior..over and over again. Baseball doesn't do it. Football doesn't do it. Nascar doesn't do it. Its about time that the NBA saved the horrific "somebody died" voice when talking about fights (which happen like once every 2 years anyway) and accept it as part of sports. Fine them, suspend them, but stop acting like the history of the world has been set back 20 years because some basketball players got into a fight....a really really girly fight.

Guest Princess Leena

Najera is my favorite part of the fight. The poor guy keeps walking around it, guys keep grabbing and pushing him, and he's like clueless. He can't get suspended. :(

A few days? It was last night.

um.....a....a few days worth of coverage. You know what...fuck you and your being correct and pointing out my screw-up ass!!!

Well thats not fair. JR Smith didn't run from anyone. And why is Nate robinson chasing him in every picture. Nate got to him and said "Oh Shit...there isn't anyone to hold me back....up...let me throw up my hands and look angry."

So after giving it has been a few days and I have had a chance to look at spots writers pretending that the NBA will never recover from the horrific horrific incident the other night, I have to ask, what the fuck is the big fucking deal.

As I said earlier. This type of thing happens at least 3-4 times a year in baseball. Bench clearing brawls. And it gets 2 nights of press tops. They show some replays, the fines/suspensions are handed out and people move on. Same thing as in Nascar and Hockey. But why is basketball so different?

At first I thought it was the danger involved in the other sports thus making the fights more understandable. Like, Bench clearing brawls in baseball are usually started when a pitcher goes after a batter. That is potentially is very dangerous. Or when causing a guy to wreck in Nascar. But then I got to hockey and it threw that theory out the window. A flagrant foul on a break is just as dangerous as anything that is happening out there that would cause a fight.

Then I said, maybe its because it is a predominately black sport, but that doesn't fly either because noone raises too much of a eyebrow when all the shoving slapping and punching occurs on the football field at least 5-6 times a game and that is usually involving black guys so thats not it.

I would love to just point at what happened in Detroit a few years back, but honestly, it was like this before. Big fights in basketball were always blown out of proportion but even moreso now.

I am left to blame the NBA itself for how it handles these situations. In every other sport, they don't come out with a press conference after every fight saying how this is a ugly day for the league and it won't be stood for. They just hand out the fines/suspensions, the players do their apology thing(sometimes) and they move on. But the NBA. The commisioner has to give a statment. Stu Jackson has to give a statement aplogizing to all the viewers for having to see players getting into a fight. Because lord knows that should never happen in a full contact sports competition. Before anyone else can say something they line up to pretend as though that something horrific has happend and that it should never happen again...once again in a game where grown men play it and it is high intensity and physicality involved.

Sport writers are pretending that it is incidents like this that is damaging the NBA's image across the country. I personally say it is the NBA leaders reaction to these situations that is far more damaging. Its sports. You find a competitive sport anywhere in the world and you will find fighting. Except like tennis and golf because they seldom have a opportunity to hurt each other in those sports. It is the nature of sport. These are games and events played by humans thus they are subject to the human condition. It isn't horrific when a fight breaks out. Truth be told, its what people salivate for. This thread hasn't been nearly as busy in the last month as it has been since this fight. I will guarentee that searches for the NBA has gone up 100percent in the last day or so. ANd if this game were to get national converage for the rematch in Denver, it would be one of the highest rated games of the year. People aren't horrified by this. Its the thing that builds rivalries. The Lakers/Kings rivialry really didn't kick off until Doug Christie hit Rick Fox with a uppercut. The Lakers/Heat matchup was huge because everyone wanted Shaq to take Kobes head off. Pistons Pacers was big for the rest of the year until Artest got traded.

People can relate to a guy getting pissed another guy hit him hard, or pissed that a guy just took down your teammate. Until they are told they are horrified by this boarish behavior..over and over again. Baseball doesn't do it. Football doesn't do it. Nascar doesn't do it. Its about time that the NBA saved the horrific "somebody died" voice when talking about fights (which happen like once every 2 years anyway) and accept it as part of sports. Fine them, suspend them, but stop acting like the history of the world has been set back 20 years because some basketball players got into a fight....a really really girly fight.

It's been around Baseball for so long that unless it's like the Red/Yankees brawl, it pretty much is considered a meaningless thing and rarely do those brawls go long or get crazy.

Hockey and Football are violent sports, thus those brawls come as part of the game. NASCAR is built off "danger" and the actual fights occur off the "field" and in the back area but since it's a part of the charm of the industry, it's actually promoted these days from ESPN when they try to make a simple shoving incident between two drivers out to be an all out war (especially when the wives get involved).

Basketball doesn't have that long tradition that Baseball falls back on nor does it have the excuse of being a violent sport. Thus, it gets this treatment. Yes, it's also race related.

This brawl is already forgotten and if it didn't involve Carmelo punking out, no one would care. It was a shitty excuse of a brawl anyways. The Detroit brawl deserved the scorn it got and the old brawls of the NBA were much more intense and warranted those responses.

It's been around Baseball for so long that unless it's like the Red/Yankees brawl, it pretty much is considered a meaningless thing and rarely do those brawls go long or get crazy.

Hockey and Football are violent sports, thus those brawls come as part of the game. NASCAR is built off "danger" and the actual fights occur off the "field" and in the back area but since it's a part of the charm of the industry, it's actually promoted these days from ESPN when they try to make a simple shoving incident between two drivers out to be an all out war (especially when the wives get involved).

Basketball doesn't have that long tradition that Baseball falls back on nor does it have the excuse of being a violent sport. Thus, it gets this treatment. Yes, it's also race related.

This brawl is already forgotten and if it didn't involve Carmelo punking out, no one would care. It was a shitty excuse of a brawl anyways. The Detroit brawl deserved the scorn it got and the old brawls of the NBA were much more intense and warranted those responses.

The nine million articles talking about it and its horrifying effect on basketball says its not forgotten. Go to any sports site and I guarentee that there are at least two stories and one opinion piece.

And I disagree with the NBA fights being intense. If anything they have been the girliest fights in the history of recorded film. Once every so often you get something that looks like a fight between men, but usually you get Jerry Stackhouse hitting Jeff Hornecek in the face twice and Jeff kinda just standing there or not moving because he punched like a bitch. Or you get Shaq punching Eric Montross and Shaq falling down while Eric just kinda stands there and looks at him...because he punches like a bitch. Or you get Jeff Van Gundy hanging on peoples leg. All of these instances were hyped up like they were horrific when honestly they were just sad because of how pathetic they were.

The nine million articles talking about it and its horrifying effect on basketball says its not forgotten. Go to any sports site and I guarentee that there are at least two stories and one opinion piece.

And I disagree with the NBA fights being intense. If anything they have been the girliest fights in the history of recorded film. Once every so often you get something that looks like a fight between men, but usually you get Jerry Stackhouse hitting Jeff Hornecek in the face twice and Jeff kinda just standing there or not moving because he punched like a bitch. Or you get Shaq punching Eric Montross and Shaq falling down while Eric just kinda stands there and looks at him...because he punches like a bitch. Or you get Jeff Van Gundy hanging on peoples leg. All of these instances were hyped up like they were horrific when honestly they were just sad because of how pathetic they were.

It's the day after. No one will be talking about this at the end of the season except for "If 'Melo hadn't missed those games, Denver would've been in the playoffs". I was talking about the old fights before the NBA was infested by these posers who can't fight. Most modern NBA brawls aside from most famous one are regarded for the comedy value but there were those fights where punches and kicks were all over the place and such.

You have to go all the way back to Charles Barkly Rick Mahorn days. Thats a long ass time.

Now that I think about it, I think the Kermit Washington punch might be what put the NBA in a different catagory. Nothing that horrific that I can remember has happened in other sports. Well...in Hockey but that was just a fucking cheap shot.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

The Turgeon hit is probably the NHL's worst cheap shot.

My question is that if these NBA guys are all supposed to be tough thugs and all that, why are they the worst fighters of the Big 4?

The Turgeon hit is probably the NHL's worst cheap shot.

My question is that if these NBA guys are all supposed to be tough thugs and all that, why are they the worst fighters of the Big 4?

It's got to sting knowing that pretty rich white boys from Northern California that drive cars in a circle can throw better punches and actually fight instead of running away after a cheap weak sucker punch. It does fit the entire pseudo thug Hip-Hop image they are attached with however. It's all about image while not actually living up to it.

To be honest, most of these players weren't brought up situations where straight up fighting would occur. It's usually resolved in a quicker manner.

Camby should get suspended. He tripped up Jeffries.

Najera, Lee, Frye, and Miller aren't going to get games. They didn't do anything.

Artest will be out till the all-star break.

Say what now? :huh:

Somewhat off-topic, but I gotta know:

Where in the Malice at the Palace video does a dustpan get involved? I went back to watch it on YouTube for some perspective after this incident and didn't see it anywhere.

^ It's not part of the "major fight", its in the aisleway, sort of as the Pacers are shifting/moving towards the tunnel to leave, Jamaal Tinsley grabs a dustpan and is holding it up looking around. (I'm surprised he didn't injure himself picking it up)

The difference is, the NBA players are black "thugs" and football players aren't.

It definitely has to do with race because when a baseball brawl, or a hockey fight occurs, no one is saying "think of the kids" or "this is digusting", and all that garbage. Basketball has black thugs, therefore it's disgusting.

Hockey fights are part of the game, so that's a little different. But I agree with you, for the most part.

Guest Princess Leena

There's a definite double standard. But, the baseball types think their fights are like hockey, where you have to retaliate when a pitcher throws at your team. Which is stupid. Baseball also had that Texas pitcher who threw that chair in the stands and broke that woman's nose, so yes, double standard.

this has nothing on that NY/Phoenix brawl from back in 1993...nothing beats Greg Anthony running out in street clothes to get in on the action.

the Derek Harper/random Chicago Bull fight in front of David Stern was a good one.

oh and let's not forget Alonzo Mourning trying to shake Jeff Van Gundy off his leg.

Guest NYankees
this has nothing on that NY/Phoenix brawl from back in 1993...nothing beats Greg Anthony running out in street clothes to get in on the action.

the Derek Harper/random Chicago Bull fight in front of David Stern was a good one.

oh and let's not forget Alonzo Mourning trying to shake Jeff Van Gundy off his leg.

I will never ever forget the color of Greg Anthony's dress shirt that night.

It was Derek Harper vrs JoJo English.

Guest Princess Leena

It will be tough for that "fight" to ever be topped. I seriously think I could have kicked both their girly girly punching asses.

The difference is, the NBA players are black "thugs" and football players aren't.

It definitely has to do with race because when a baseball brawl, or a hockey fight occurs, no one is saying "think of the kids" or "this is digusting", and all that garbage. Basketball has black thugs, therefore it's disgusting.

Great point. But when Miami and Fla International had their fight earlier this year, all I heard was thug this and inner city that. When Lamar Thomas was getting hype during the fight all I heard was about how deplorable he was contributing to that. Yet a few years ago when the Tigers and White Sox had a big fight, Kirk Gibson was like "get it out your system boys!!!!". Nobody fired, no one calling MLB players thugs, no black eye on the sport. I could replace Tigers and White Sox with Red Wings-Avalanche and its the same thing

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Here's a south american referee getting knocked the fuck out:

Carmelo 15 games, Nate and JR 10 games each, Collins 6 games, Jeffries 4 games, Nene and James 1 game each.

Each team gets fined $500,000.

Well, maybe this will make them a little more desparate to trade for AI. That could be good for the Sixers.

15 games seems way excessive. I think he was hurt by all of the sports writers getting up in arms. If they had left it alone basically I think he would have gotten 5 games.