TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

TNA notes from F4W

Jokes that the reason they appear to be having Joe vs. Angle III by January is because Russo, as a born again Christian, has been told by God that Christ will be returning in February

Says Joe vs. Angle II appears to have done in the 50,000-60,000 range and while it had a lot of buzz going into it, this show had a lot less buzz.

Says it’s too soon for Joe vs. Angle II, as it barely had time to digest their first match before we’re being hit with the second one.

Feedback for the show appears to have it back in the 30,000-35,000 range, which he calls a disaster for Joe vs. Angle II but a disaster that anyone with a brain saw coming.

Says that, ideally, the rematch would have happened in Spring of 2007 with the final match taking place at Bound For Glory, but instead it’ll all be wrapped up by January.

Questions what they can do next for Angle that is a money program, bringing up that we might get Angle vs. Jerry Lynn because they both want to wrestle each other, but it won’t be a money program. Says Joe vs. Angle was the dream program and they seem intent on burning through it as soon as possible.

Said that aside from Joe vs. Angle, the wrestling wasn’t as good as last month’s PPV but the booking wasn’t as bad.

According to one person, as bad as some stuff comes across on TV, they live and die by crowd reactions they get in the Impact Zone, and while they pop big for the VKM stuff, and thereby ensuring it continues, they’re the super hardcore TNA fans who will always be there and their reactions aren’t necessarily an indication of the reaction of the rest of TNA’s audience.

The feeling is that Dixie Carter loves the crowd pops, and so the wrestlers and writers wrestle and write accordingly to that.

TNA were happy with the PPV because it was better than the ECW PPV.

Turning Point:

Low-Ki vs. Jay Lethal vs. Alex Shelley vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Austin Starr. **1/2

The Bikini Contest:

“He (Roode) told her to do anything she needed to do to get Eric to sign a contract with Robert Roode Enterprises. You see, the fans hate Roode, but if Roode Inc. signs Eric, who they love, they’ll love Roode too. Why the fuck would Robert Roode care? And if he wants to be loved, yelling at the fans and calling them morons is a bad place to start. He said if she couldn’t get this done, she might be the one who’s fired. Ok, so if she has the power to fire Eric, why not just tell him that if he doesn’t sign with Roode Inc. he’s fired?”

Chris Daniels vs. Chris Sabin for the X-Title. **3/4

Questioned why they’re trying to give the rub from David Eckstein to Lance Hoyt of all people.

AJ Style vs. Rhino ***1/4

Questioned why Daniels didn’t come down to stooge Styles off from cheating or why Rhino show a tape of the finish to the referee and get the decision reversed when we’ve seen both happen in the last month.

AMW vs. LAX in a flag match. ***

The VKM stuff/BG Promo:

“This was actually a hell of a promo by BG, but also fantastically stupid. First off, they guaranteed themselves another legal letter. Second, they’ve now wasted God knows how much time passionately building up a match that THEY CAN NEVER DELIVER. So the question is, why can’t TNA build a storyline like this and let BG cut promos like this AGAINST SOMEONE IN TNA?”

Abyss vs. Sting vs. Christian for the NWA Title. **1/4

“Finish was classic. I guess the idea was that Abyss was supposed to go for the black hole slam and swing Sting into Christian on the way around, and perhaps drop Sting into the tacks. Well, whatever the idea was, I’m sure it sounded good on paper. In execution it looked like a horribly botched spot. Everybody fell all over themselves like geeks and that was the finish, and it was so bad that whatever Abyss would have gotten out of pinning Sting, well, he didn’t get it. The tacks mean literally nothing now.”

Angle vs. Joe II. ****1/2

The tapings on Monday were very disorganized, with big gaps between matches and segments and it got to where people wound up going home and they had to move fans in front of the hard camera because of that.

Samoa Joe injured his knee at the Impact taping but the extent isn’t known right now. Joe has also been working with a pinched nerve in his back for a while.

Said that aside from Joe vs. Angle, the wrestling wasn’t as good as last month’s PPV but the booking wasn’t as bad.

Hey, wrong on both accounts. Who's surprised?

There is a lot of typos.

Did he forget that Dish Network did not carry Turning Point? That's at least 5-10,000 buys.

According to one person, as bad as some stuff comes across on TV, they live and die by crowd reactions they get in the Impact Zone, and while they pop big for the VKM stuff, and thereby ensuring it continues, they’re the super hardcore TNA fans who will always be there and their reactions aren’t necessarily an indication of the reaction of the rest of TNA’s audience.

The feeling is that Dixie Carter loves the crowd pops, and so the wrestlers and writers wrestle and write accordingly to that.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You write for your audience. To defend the fans in the Impact Zone, they will crap on an angle if they don't like it like the Bikini stuff or the Baseball segment. They just don't cheer for anything. He did not mention the UWF shows or Bound For Glory,the fans react just like the Impact Zone.

I really think they ruined Angle/Joe already by making it Angle's first TNA feud. Don't get me wrong, the matches were fun to watch, but they rushed the feud at the expense of it being a bigger deal down the road. Why not try to get Angle to draw viewers and some more audience over to TNA before you go and blow the biggest potential feud in TNA history? IMO, they should have had Angle run through some other competition first, while at the same time Samoa Joe is making a run at the title, which he eventually wins, and then Angle, after beating one of the bigger TNA names, could have gotten cocky, calling out the lockeroom, saying they aren't in his league etc etc....then Samoa Joe's music hits, and he does the whole "you haven't beaten me" speel.......The fact that feud started immediately makes the rest of the feud irrelevent because if both of them stay in TNA for an extended amount of time, eventually they are going to have to feud again over the belt.

Did he forget that Dish Network did not carry Turning Point? That's at least 5-10,000 buys.

Did you forget that Dish Network did carry Turning Point?

I really think they ruined Angle/Joe already by making it Angle's first TNA feud. Don't get me wrong, the matches were fun to watch, but they rushed the feud at the expense of it being a bigger deal down the road. Why not try to get Angle to draw viewers and some more audience over to TNA before you go and blow the biggest potential feud in TNA history? IMO, they should have had Angle run through some other competition first, while at the same time Samoa Joe is making a run at the title, which he eventually wins, and then Angle, after beating one of the bigger TNA names, could have gotten cocky, calling out the lockeroom, saying they aren't in his league etc etc....then Samoa Joe's music hits, and he does the whole "you haven't beaten me" speel.......The fact that feud started immediately makes the rest of the feud irrelevent because if both of them stay in TNA for an extended amount of time, eventually they are going to have to feud again over the belt.

Exactly. They went right to the biggest feud they could do with Angle. Anything else is going to seem like a step down now.

"To defend the fans in the Impact Zone, they will crap on an angle if they don't like it like the Bikini stuff"

The TNA fans were popping huge for the awful bikini showdown and did not boo it whatsoever. You're wrong. TNA fans harm the product so much.

Yes but he's referring to the broad base of fans, not 900 dorks that come to every show.

They cheered like crazy for 2 super dumb fucking segments at the PPV, their approval means nothing.

I personally think most TNA fans think alike. Not just the Impact Zone or internet fans but the people who went to BFG,Mexico,ECW arena, or the other UWF shows.

Guest Mos_Def

I think "ruined" is a bit strong. I dunno, there are always contradictory theories about how to use guys when they jump. I remember when Meltzer and the like would whine when the WWF would bring in guys and make them "pay their dues" rather than throw them in hot money making programs (see: Jericho). In any event, I dont think TNA and Kurt Angle, especially given his unpredictable nature, are in a position to say --- "well a year from now we'll do this..." TNA is really trying to establish themselves and strike while the iron is hot. I think their feud was a necessary evil in order to capitalize on the buzz of Angle's jump and keep people talking.

As far as a program in the future, I dont think this will hinder that at all. I personally wouldnt have them do a third match, (therefore the rubber match could be for the title) but if they must just have their third match end in an inconclusive fashion. Their match down the road could be the war to settle the score so to speak and at least this way they could use their feud in TNA as a reference point.

Thats a good point, they had to do Joe/Angle before Angle A) Goes mental, B) Gets badly injured or 3) Dies.

I think the other flipside is that there's almost endless possibilities for what they could do with Angle in TNA. Joe is just the first of many programs that Angle will hopefully work in TNA. I mean, they can get major mileage out of having him feud with Sting, Abyss, AJ Styles, etc. They just decided to go with the "workrate" program first.

Exactly. They went right to the biggest feud they could do with Angle. Anything else is going to seem like a step down now.

I didn't have a problem with it being Angle's first TNA feud. I think what really hurt it, was taking a feud that should at the very least take 10 months to conclude, and blowing through it so quickly in such a hilariously bad way.

I mean, damn... the first singles match between the two should have not even happened at this point, and they're already set to blow it off next month?