TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NFL Week 17

They should have a rule this time of year that no game without serious playoff implications can be seen anywhere outside the two teams' immediate home markets. Why should Idaho and Oregon be subjected to the unmitigated suck of the Seahawks/Bucs game?

The Chargers and the Bears would like to say hello to you.

Stats be fucking damned. I think the Ravens defense is very good, but I don't think that any defense can be called the best at this point. There's a reason so many teams have (or will wind up with) 12 and 13 wins.

I like stats though! The Ravens defense is #1 in yardage allowed per game and points allowed per game, and #2 in rushing yards per game and #6 in passing yards allowed per game. Ravens are #2 in total turnovers. Off of NFL.com I've also found out the Ravens are the least penalized defense (total yards in penalties) and 2nd in total Penalties . The Ravens also allow the least avg. time of possession of any team in the NFL and have the best 3rd down conversion allowed%.

And for fun I wanted to compare this year to 2000 just to see how they really compare: (NFL RANK)

Total Points Allowed

00: 165 (1) All Time Record

06: 194 (1)

Total Yards Allowed

00: 4145 (1)

06: 3972 (1)

Rushing Yards Allowed

00: 970 (1) All Time Record

06: 1175 (1)

Rush TDs Allowed

00: 5 (1)

06: 5 (1)

Passing Yards Allowed

00: 3175 (6)

06: 2797 (6)

Passing TDs Allowed

00: 11 (2)

06: 15 (5)

INTS

00: 23 (5)

06: 26 (1)

Id say statistically they are about dead even..

You realize that the 2006 Ravens still have another game to play right? Unless they shutout the Bills and hold them to negative yards, I don't think their statistics will be very similar to the 2000 squad when the season's done.

Well wouldn't Seattle be the closest team to Oregon and Idaho, NFL-wise?

Yes, but I'm saying they should only have coverage for Seattle and Tampa Bay. It's virtually a nothing game -- Seattle is locked into hosting a game on wild-card weekend. Panthers/Saints looks a lot more interesting. Show that game to most of the rest of the country.

Well wouldn't Seattle be the closest team to Oregon and Idaho, NFL-wise?

Yes, but I'm saying they should only have coverage for Seattle and Tampa Bay. It's virtually a nothing game -- Seattle is locked into hosting a game on wild-card weekend. Panthers/Saints looks a lot more interesting. Show that game to most of the rest of the country.

I live in Oregon and I'd rather watch the Seahawks game. Doesn't matter if it doesn't mean much, people here would go crazy if the game wasn't shown.

I don't see how anyone could make a case that the Chargers have the best defense in the league. It's very average really. I saw the Bengals put up 41 on them, the BRONCOS put up 27 on them as well. Hell the Cleveland Browns managed to get 25. It's interesting that the Chargers will likely end up 14-2, but for some reason I still doubt them. They haven't played NE or Indy so far, and the one notable playoff team outside the AFC West they've played is Baltimore and they lost that one.

The Bears were well on the way to being the best defense but the injuries have taken a toll and they aren't invincible on D by any means. The Ravens look like the best defensive unit in the league, and this time they have an actual former MVP QB and a decent journeyman offense.

How about a Ravens/Bears Super Bowl? Admit it, you want that 6-3 game, haha.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

I'd like to think Grossman, Jones, Benson, Moose, Berrian, and Gould can put up more than two field goals. Holy shit, come on now.

I'd like to think Grossman, Jones, Benson, Moose, Berrian, and Gould can put up more than two field goals. Holy shit, come on now.

Not against the super impenetrable defense of the RAVENS!~~~ You guys would end up being the first team in history with negative yardage in the Super Bowl as the Ravens defense sacks Grossman 13 times, force 4 fumbles, net a safety, and run back 4 INTs for TDs! 44-0, easy!

Guest Vitamin X

There's only one real notable Ravens fan here, though..

Eagles/Patriots should have destroyed TSM a while back, particularly when Dama was still around, and yet if we could survive that, we can survive anything.

Colts/Ravens in the divisional round, then Ravens/Pats in the AFC title game.

Dallas/Philadelphia and Seattle/Packers would have the same effect.

Guest Vitamin X

True, I was on the road when the Seahawks/Packers game happened earlier this season.

I don't see how anyone could make a case that the Chargers have the best defense in the league. It's very average really. I saw the Bengals put up 41 on them, the BRONCOS put up 27 on them as well. Hell the Cleveland Browns managed to get 25. It's interesting that the Chargers will likely end up 14-2, but for some reason I still doubt them. They haven't played NE or Indy so far, and the one notable playoff team outside the AFC West they've played is Baltimore and they lost that one.

All of those games have a common theme. No Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Igor Olshansky, or Shaun Phillips. All of those players make up the Chargers front 7. Their front 7 is one of the best in football. Pressuring the quarterback and stopping the run is what they do best. They were not able to do that earlier in the season. Now their defense is finally healthy (except Castillo who will be ready for the playoffs) and returning back to form.

There's only one real notable Ravens fan here, though..

Eagles/Patriots should have destroyed TSM a while back, particularly when Dama was still around, and yet if we could survive that, we can survive anything.

I don't understand how Dama convinced himself that he was this huge Eagles and Red Sox fan.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't know about the Red Sox, but he did really like the Eagles, the big lug. Never seen him like any other NFL team.

I thought I'd seen him rattle off a list of four or five different teams he considered his "favorite", which became a(nother) source of derision in these threads

He cheered for whatever team suited him at the time. I could never take him seriously after he cheered for Texas in the Rose Bowl last year.

Well his reason for it is exactly what Leena's explanation for whether you should cheer for conference teams or not in bowl games was. However, I think Dama's USC hate pretty much outweighed any Texas hate he might or might not have.

I found out today I'll be working the weekend of the 2nd round, so unless the Ravens game is a late game, I wont be on here when its on, but I will be watching..not in HD though..ugh..

Ravens and Patriots could meet in the Divisional Round if the Colts get upset in the Wild Card round, which is likely. Odds are the Colts will get the J-E-T-S and I think they could beat the Colts.

naiwf's post about how bad the Ravens defense would stick it to the Bears had me laughing too. Id definitely say Grossman would find Ed Reed at least once.

I've got this whole conspiracy theory of how the Super Bowl is on CBS and in Florida just like in 2001, and the Terps played in the Orange Bowl in 2001 in Florida. Terps played a Bowl game in 2004 in Florida (Gator Bowl) and the Ravens made the playoffs (won the AFC North that year) although they lost the first game that year vs the Titans..but still..Wierd coinicdences..Terps playing in a Bowl game this year in Florida..Ravens in win the AFC North and in the playoffs...

The last time the Giants made the Super Bowl, 2001, (Coincidently against those Ravens) both of their Meadowlands neighbors, the Nets and Devils, made their respective sports' Finals, and the Yankees made it to the World Series. None of those 4 won a championship, and the Yanks and Devils both lost in Game 7, while the Nets got swept and the Giants were the victim to the equilvalent of a sweep in the 34-7 blow out.

I was right about Rex Ryan getting consideration for a head coaching job:

A top head coaching candidate for next season is Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who has the team on top of half the NFL's 12 major defensive category rankings.

"I think Rex is as ready to be a head coach as anybody I've been around. We'll do everything we can to help him through that process," said coach Brian Billick.

Brian Billick is going to be the next Bill Parcells in coaching proteges..

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Brian Billick is going to be the next Bill Parcells in coaching proteges..

Isn't Belichick already the new Parcells? Then again, Bill Belichick doesn't coach the Ravens, so who cares.

I was going to do a poll for Worst Possible Super Bowl, but Ravens-Patriots is not an option, so fuck it.

I've got this whole conspiracy theory of how the Super Bowl is on CBS and in Florida just like in 2001, and the Terps played in the Orange Bowl in 2001 in Florida. Terps played a Bowl game in 2004 in Florida (Gator Bowl) and the Ravens made the playoffs (won the AFC North that year) although they lost the first game that year vs the Titans..but still..Wierd coinicdences..Terps playing in a Bowl game this year in Florida..Ravens in win the AFC North and in the playoffs...

Marvin, what the fuck are you talking about?

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

I have a conspiracy theory that involves Marvin getting stuffed in a box and mailed to Senegal if he makes one more dumbshit post like that one.