TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Football Overtime

I didn't even know it was a pie-eating contest.  

53 members have voted

1. 1. So which would be better for the NFL?

• Sudden death
    • Matching possessions

If it's truly so fair, why settle it with a coin toss?

Give it to the home team, or keep alternating. I don't know, either way, it would never work, because in sudden death the person with the first opportunity to score has an explicit advantage. Sudden death works in hockey because a faceoff determines who controls the puck, not a coin toss. Ultimately I would rather see ties, with OT in playoffs, same as basketball. Same as, I dunno, every other period in the game.

Not really, Marv. Regardless of whatever choices you make to give each team an equal playing field, whether it's 5 outs or 3 runners or nothing at all, baseball's extra innings are about as close a comparison to college OT as you're going to find. Every college OT is an inning.

Nah, if they were really equal than in college the teams would start off on their own 20 and have to go 80 yards for the TD (however far for a FG depending on their kicker). So in College OT they are getting over 3/4 of the field given to them to start by starting at the opposing teams 20..which is why Im giving the baseball the equivalent of the bases loaded. And it would be under 2 out rules so no sac flys either, there would have to be a hit/walk/hbp or a defensive error to score the run.

Guest Vitamin X

I voted for matching possessions, but in my opinion the best compromise between sudden death and matching possessions is touchdowns only. That way, the defense still has to stop the offense but has more of a chance to do so because they're not playing on an Arena Football size field, if you consider a ball gets returned on average to the 30, a team only has to go about 50 yards or so to get within field goal range. But in touchdowns only, they still have to go the whole way to win (which could make for some really exciting goal-line stands, my personal guilty pleasure in football). Yes the offense might not take the field, but if you allow a team to drive 70 yards on you for a touchdown right away after the kickoff, you don't deserve to win.

You've got four downs to stop em, but matching possessions feels too much like baseball. Everyone knows touchdowns are more exciting than field goals, anyways. And if it ends in a tie, it ends in a tie. Tough cookies.

Personally, I go with matching possessions just because sudden death doesn't work for the NFL. As soon as I see the other team has the ball and makes even a reasonable strike that's good enough to put them into position, I ditch the game. Its not exciting, its not worth watching, and frankly there's no "can they really do it" type of deal.

However for matching possessions, I would rather do it serpentine instead of first, second, first, second, etc. That way if the other team keeps the hope alive, they've get the chance to put it away. Although, I'd max it out at 3 attempts to score and if it ends up as a tie, oh well. Its a tie.

You can keep the NFL's version of OT. Just remove FG's from OT. That would make for some exciting times to choose to throw or punt when you are on the opponents 30.

I voted for matching possessions, but in my opinion the best compromise between sudden death and matching possessions is touchdowns only. That way, the defense still has to stop the offense but has more of a chance to do so because they're not playing on an Arena Football size field, if you consider a ball gets returned on average to the 30, a team only has to go about 50 yards or so to get within field goal range. But in touchdowns only, they still have to go the whole way to win (which could make for some really exciting goal-line stands, my personal guilty pleasure in football). Yes the offense might not take the field, but if you allow a team to drive 70 yards on you for a touchdown right away after the kickoff, you don't deserve to win.

You've got four downs to stop em, but matching possessions feels too much like baseball. Everyone knows touchdowns are more exciting than field goals, anyways. And if it ends in a tie, it ends in a tie. Tough cookies.

What happens if a playoff game ends in a tie? Thats sorta like One Man Gang getting a bye in the WM 4 Tournament cause Roberts and Rude went to a 15 minute draw..

Guest Vitamin X

Well obviously you can't have playoff games end in a tie. That's the way the current rules work. What I said about a tie applies to regular season games. MrRant seems to agree with my version of OT.

I also think the increased risk of player injury also play a huge a role in the NFL's use of sudden death overtime. Playing 75 minutes of professional level football is not easy on the body.

To play on the touchdowns only format of sudden death, keep the current format, but let the kicking team decide whether or not sudden death can be decided on FGs. Teams can keep their opponent's premier kicker from being a factor, but they risk screwing their own team over when all they need is a chipshot on 4th and long. It'd be a nice little twist at the very least.

Injuries in Football is a whole 'nother situation.

Not one that will be settled by playing less time. Frankly, I don't see them going away, ever, until they take away the pads, helmet, etc. and/or switch to fucking flag football...

Guest Princess Leena
I also think the increased risk of player injury also play a huge a role in the NFL's use of sudden death overtime. Playing 75 minutes of professional level football is not easy on the body.

That's why they make so much money.

Not one that will be settled by playing less time. Frankly, I don't see them going away, ever, until they take away the pads, helmet, etc. and/or switch to fucking flag football...

We'll eventually get there with QB's, at least...

I like the format for OT in the NFL...it needs to be different as the NFL game is a bit different from the college game.

However...if you have to switch...you move the start of play back a bit further. I think in OT in the NFL they should start at midfield...out of field goal range. More time taken for OT true...but this way it takes the conservative part out of things and then a coach has to open things up a bit to get a shot to win.