TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

Ripken, Gwynn elected to HOF

Gossage is probably a lock for next year, as there aren't a great list of first-timers as far as I know. It's also going to be his 15th year on the ballot, I think.

Thirteenth. He retired in 1994.

Who is added to the ballot next year?
From the Hall of Hame site:

Shawon Dunston, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Mike Morgan, Tim Raines, Randy Velarde

That's probably not a comprehensive list.

Here's a list I put together of who's eligible next year, again not everyone will necessarily be on the ballot.

Brady Anderson

Delino DeShields

Shawon Dunston

Darrin Fletcher

Travis Fryman

David Justice

Chuck Knoblauch

Darren Lewis

Tim Raines

Lee Stevens

John Valentin

Randy Velarde

Andy Benes

Chuck Finley

Mike Morgan

Robb Nen

Jose Rijo

Todd Sottlemyre

Greg Swindell

I wouldn't be at all surprised if no one on this list ever makes the HOF.

Well really only Raines deserves to go in.

Gossage is probably a lock for next year, as there aren't a great list of first-timers as far as I know. It's also going to be his 15th year on the ballot, I think.

Actually it will only be his 9th year on the ballot. Dave Concepcion will be the only player in his 15th and final year.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if no one on this list ever makes the HOF.

Besides Raines, I wouldn't be at all suprised if no one on this list ever got more then one vote

Well really only Raines deserves to go in.

Actually it will only be his 9th year on the ballot. Dave Concepcion will be the only player in his 15th and final year.

That's right, I neglected to factor in the five-year waiting period. I knew 13 seemed way too high.

Guest NYankees
Wow, Mike and the Mad Dog are even dumber than I thought.

What did they say? They cant be any worse than Michael Kay and his opinions of Randy Johnson.

I really wish that Jack Morris would have gotten the call to the HOF. I think that he has very good stats.

Wins- 254

Losses- 186

Complete Games- 175

K's- 2478

ERA- 3.90

WHIP- 1.29 WHIP

3 twenty win seasons

5X All star

1991 World Series MVP

Statrted All Star game 3 times

6-1 Postseason record

Game 7 1991 World Series against the Braves (One of the greatest pitching performances ever) 10 innings pitched

From 1978-1994 this was an interesting stat

173 Wins Nolan Ryan

251 Wins Jack Morris

Granted my viewpoint is biased, but I want to see Black Jack Morris make it to Cooperstown.

Guest Princess Leena

Al, have you done a Keltner thingy on Steve Garvey. If you haven't, please insult him a lot.

Tony Gwynn's one of my favorite all time players, it's good to see him get his due. Not a huge Ripken fan but obviously a worthy inductee as well. Would like to see Trammell get in someday but he probably won't.

Jack Morris was the winningest pitcher of the entire 1980s...come on. But I cannot conciously support leaving Mark McGwire out of the Hall. Yes,I believe he used steroids, but without proof and given how widespread it was with hitters AND pitchers...how far do you take it?

Pete Rose signed a lifetime banishment agreement. It sucks to be him.

the lifetime banishment agreement did not=banishment from Cooperstown until a year or so later

Holding Bonds out of the HOF is retardation on the highest level and anyone who backs such a position really needs to strongly consider how WRONG they are. He's a jerk. He probably did roids, yes.

But Barry was too good for too long, including multiple MVPs in years when steroids weren't even in question. Not to mention he was otherwordly and feared like no hitter (not named Babe Ruth) in history from 2001-2004. Hundreds of players were taking steroids at the time but none even came close to being the hitter and force that Bonds was.

People have to get on their high horse and preach to the moral fabric of America, but a HOF without Bonds is not a HOF.

How do you know when Bonds started taking steroids, or whatever he did? That's my issue with him.

No one knows so assumptions should not be made either way

I really wish that Jack Morris would have gotten the call to the HOF. I think that he has very good stats.

Wins- 254

Losses- 186

Complete Games- 175

K's- 2478

ERA- 3.90

WHIP- 1.29 WHIP

3 twenty win seasons

5X All star

1991 World Series MVP

6-1 Postseason record

Game 7 1991 World Series against the Braves (One of the greatest pitching performances ever) 10 innings pitched

173 Wins Nolan Ryan

251 Wins Jack Morris

Granted my viewpoint is biased, but I want to see Black Jack Morris make it to Cooperstown.

A couple of points about Jack Morris. First, Vampiro stated his postseason record was 6-1. This is incorrect. His teams had a 6-1 record in postseason series. Morris himself was 7-4.

That 1978-1994 comparison is borderline insulting. It takes almost the entirety of Morris's career and compares it to part of Ryan's. 1994 is included when Ryan didn't even play, but 1977 is excluded, when Morris went 1-1 and Ryan won 19 games. They're cherry-picking Nolan Ryan because his win/loss records are not much more impressive than Bert Blyleven's. I drew up a list of pitchers from 1978-94. Six pitchers compiled 3,000 or more innings pitched in that span. Of those pitchers Morris ranks 1st in wins, but 5th in ERA (behind Ryan, Bob Welch, Dennis Martinez and Charlie Hough). Morris ranks 4th in WHIP behind Ryan, Welch and Martinez. Morris lost more games than any pitcher in that period except Frank Tanana. And in Runs Saved Above Average (RSAA), Morris ranks 46th. Dennis Martinez had a 245-194 record, a lower ERA, lower WHIP, and a lower postseason ERA. He lasted one year on the ballot.

Postseason? One great start does not make a Hall of Famer. Dave Stewart was a far greater postseason pitcher and he's not sniffing the Hall.

TELL ME THAT SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS THIS

In the spirt of Gwen getting in

Topps baseball commercial. Two kids are trading baseball cards

Kid 1: "I'll trade you a Paul Molitor for your Tony Gwen."

Kid 2: "ok"

THEN the baseball cards start talking back to the kids

Gwen: "What?! I'm worth 2 Molitors."

Molitor: "No way, this guy's been out in the sun too long."

Gwen: "Check out the stats. 329 lifetime batting average abd 4 batting titles."

Molitor: "I was breaking world series records, when he was still a rookie.:

then cut to a little blah blah blah

Gwen: "You want a fair trade? Me for two of him, and a Jim Abbot."

then Abbot's card pops from behind Molitors with "Hey, I resent that."

Maybe my favorite commercial ever

I believe I remember this, especially Molitor's "I was breaking world series records when he was still a rookie!" Such ass, that Paul Molitor.

Edit: I typed "ass" instead of "sass" there, but I think I'm leaving it.

Wins- 254

Losses- 186

Complete Games- 175

K's- 2478

ERA- 3.90

WHIP- 1.29 WHIP

3 twenty win seasons

5X All star

1991 World Series MVP

6-1 Postseason record

173 Wins Nolan Ryan

251 Wins Jack Morris

A couple of points about Jack Morris. First, Vampiro stated his postseason record was 6-1. This is incorrect. His teams had a 6-1 record in postseason series. Morris himself was 7-4.

That 1978-1994 comparison is borderline insulting. It takes almost the entirety of Morris's career and compares it to part of Ryan's. 1994 is included when Ryan didn't even play, but 1977 is excluded, when Morris went 1-1 and Ryan won 19 games. They're cherry-picking Nolan Ryan because his win/loss records are not much more impressive than Bert Blyleven's. I drew up a list of pitchers from 1978-94. Six pitchers compiled 3,000 or more innings pitched in that span. Of those pitchers Morris ranks 1st in wins, but 5th in ERA (behind Ryan, Bob Welch, Dennis Martinez and Charlie Hough). Morris ranks 4th in WHIP behind Ryan, Welch and Martinez. Morris lost more games than any pitcher in that period except Frank Tanana. And in Runs Saved Above Average (RSAA), Morris ranks 46th. Dennis Martinez had a 245-194 record, a lower ERA, lower WHIP, and a lower postseason ERA. He lasted one year on the ballot.

Postseason? One great start does not make a Hall of Famer. Dave Stewart was a far greater postseason pitcher and he's not sniffing the Hall.

Well, you just toasted my ass right there. However, I just plain like Morris, and I think that he deserves more recognition.

Reading Joel Sherman's "Birth of a Dynasty" I had no idea that the Yankees in 1996 offered 41-year old Jack Morris a contract mid season when injuries were piling up in the rotation. He was pitching in the independent league in Minnesota. He refused to make a start in AAA, however, and the offer was taken back.

I'm very happy to see Ripken get in. That was a definite though. I'm happy Gwynn made it too. I think Gossage and Rice should get in, I think they will in the next few years. I can see Gossage get in next year.

Screw McGuire, though, he did himself in.

If McGwire doesn't get in because of steroids, it's BS.

It can't be proven he did them, (which is baseball's own damn fault) and LaRussa blatantly stated that Canseco's charges were bullshit.

I like McGwire, but if anything, his stats are borderline. lots of home runs. Bad BA. Won a golden glove or two.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Well, shit, if Tony La Russa said so, case closed. Of course he's going to defend McGwire. What do you think he's gonna say? "Oh, sure, Mark was soaked in juice!"