TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Least Professional

Why Holly, now that I've seen him mentioned a few times...

For mugging Matt Cappotelli on TE, and stiffing countless others for no reason.

Steiner Brothers

Stan Hansen

Brusier Brody

Teddy Hart

Shawn Michaels

Goldberg

Brock Lesnar

Hardcore Holly

Ric Flair

Shane Douglas

Kevin Nash

Triple H

Ultimate Warrior

Honky Tonk Man

Randy Savage

Jeff Jarrett

Verne Gagne

Dynamite Kid

Hulk Hogan

Rob Van Dam

Kurt Angle

Vince McMahon

Akira Maeda

JBL

Jerry Lawler

Jimmy Snuka

Saturn

Shawn Michaels

- Cuts a drunken promo on Raw alleging that Bret Hart has been seeing a lot of "Sunny Days lately"

- Calls out the Undertaker after Undertakers pre-taped promo has aired, knowing Taker is not in the building

- Doesn't know if he is going to job to Steve Austin at WrestleMania 14.

- Goes out on television and openly states he will not lie down for anyone in the company

- Reportedly faked an injury in order to not job the title to Bret Hart at WrestleMania 13.

- Gets Ken Shamrock to call out spots loudly on live television

- Pulls a visable temper tantrum at SummerSlam 1996

- The Curtain Call @ MSG hello!

- Overselling for Hogan at SummerSlam 2005

- Buries Hogan in a promo the night after SummerSlam 2005

He's still my fav wrestler tho.

Yes...but the curtain call doesnt bother me.

Could you explain what happened or direct me to somewhere where I can read about them? I knew some of these things happened, but I had no idea he was that bad.

Minor gripe...not that I think Shawn's captain professional or anything, but was his overselling vs Hogan really THAT bad? I mean, Curt Hennig used to do similar bumps all the time and didn't get half the shit (Ok, the big boot spot was a little much, but still...).

As to who's unprofessional...I dunno, but I'll say those who have taken unscripted cheap shots at other workers (i.e. HHH against Jericho in 99 and Goldberg in 03) aren't very nice.

Perry Saturn has to get honorable mention for this, if for no other reason than his treatment of that jobber on the syndicated show about 5 or 6 years ago.

Actually that jobber wanted got in the wring and refused to job, saying that he didn't want to lose in his hometown. The jobber got what he deserved. I actually say the guy a few weeks after the incident at an Indy show, and the group I came with all did the rings of Saturn pose. Latter one of the other wrestlers warned us not to stick around after the show because the guy was going to wait for us in the parking lot.

Guest Super Leather
Minor gripe...not that I think Shawn's captain professional or anything, but was his overselling vs Hogan really THAT bad? I mean, Curt Hennig used to do similar bumps all the time and didn't get half the shit (Ok, the big boot spot was a little much, but still...).

Yeah, I watched this match last night to see if HBK really was overselling, and I wouldn't say it was that bad. He flops around like a fish out of water after taking the big boot, but that's about it as far as I can see.

Wasn't Akira Maeda the guy that decided to shoot on Andre the Giant in a match? Andre was visibly confused and yelling at the referee after taking a million stiff kicks to the legs. IIRC, Andre never wrestled in Japan again after that.

It'd be nice to see explanations for each selection, although I know the reasons for most of them.

Yeah, I watched this match last night to see if HBK really was overselling, and I wouldn't say it was that bad. He flops around like a fish out of water after taking the big boot, but that's about it as far as I can see.

Shawn took a ridiculous bump off of getting his head rammed into the turnbuckle. He decided to sell it by jumping onto the second turnbuckle and doing a rolling senton. That was way over the top.

Wasn't Akira Maeda the guy that decided to shoot on Andre the Giant in a match? Andre was visibly confused and yelling at the referee after taking a million stiff kicks to the legs. IIRC, Andre never wrestled in Japan again after that.

The story behind that was Maede wasn't popular with a lot of people in New Japan, so they talked Andre into no-selling everything Maeda did, and, believing Andre's rep, figured he would take care of Madea with ease. Unfortunately, Andre's rep for toughness was more reputation than reality, because while he could no-sell Maeda's offense that was about all he could do, and it wasn't long before Andre was prone on the mat from taking so many kicks.

Guest Super Leather

I guess I will have to check out that Hogan-HBK match again then. But really, people on here make it sound like he was practically flying across the arena after one punch.

The story behind that was Maede wasn't popular with a lot of people in New Japan, so they talked Andre into no-selling everything Maeda did, and, believing Andre's rep, figured he would take care of Madea with ease. Unfortunately, Andre's rep for toughness was more reputation than reality, because while he could no-sell Maeda's offense that was about all he could do, and it wasn't long before Andre was prone on the mat from taking so many kicks.

It's almost like people are proud of the idea of destroying Andre's reputation. I wouldn't know firsthand of course, but I imagine there's a difference between prime Andre and the guy who was a shell of his former abilities by 1986.

As for Maeda, that shoot kick to Riki Choshu more than qualifies him.

Shawn Michaels

- Cuts a drunken promo on Raw alleging that Bret Hart has been seeing a lot of "Sunny Days lately"

- Calls out the Undertaker after Undertakers pre-taped promo has aired, knowing Taker is not in the building

- Doesn't know if he is going to job to Steve Austin at WrestleMania 14.

- Goes out on television and openly states he will not lie down for anyone in the company

- Reportedly faked an injury in order to not job the title to Bret Hart at WrestleMania 13.

- Gets Ken Shamrock to call out spots loudly on live television

- Pulls a visable temper tantrum at SummerSlam 1996

- The Curtain Call @ MSG hello!

- Overselling for Hogan at SummerSlam 2005

- Buries Hogan in a promo the night after SummerSlam 2005

He's still my fav wrestler tho.

Yes...but the curtain call doesnt bother me.

Could you explain what happened or direct me to somewhere where I can read about them? I knew some of these things happened, but I had no idea he was that bad.

In May '96 at a house show, the last before Hall and Nash left for WCW, after the Main Event of, I believe, HBK and Nash, the three I've mentioned and HHH hugged and palled around in the ring. A fan caught it on his cam. This made Vince absolutely livid.....

It's almost like people are proud of the idea of destroying Andre's reputation. I wouldn't know firsthand of course, but I imagine there's a difference between prime Andre and the guy who was a shell of his former abilities by 1986.

Andre's rep for being a tough guy was down to his size and strength, which doesn't always equate into being able to handle yourself in a fight. Such was the mystique around Andre that virtually all of the US wrestlers and journalists around for the Maeda-Andre deal were convinced it was a work because they simply could not accept that Andre was unable to beat up Maeda.

Perry Saturn has to get honorable mention for this, if for no other reason than his treatment of that jobber on the syndicated show about 5 or 6 years ago.

Actually that jobber wanted got in the wring and refused to job, saying that he didn't want to lose in his hometown. The jobber got what he deserved. I actually say the guy a few weeks after the incident at an Indy show, and the group I came with all did the rings of Saturn pose. Latter one of the other wrestlers warned us not to stick around after the show because the guy was going to wait for us in the parking lot.

That was a different match, Saturn v. Mike Bell was the one where he stiffed him.

Size doesn't matter in a fight.

Speed and skill out does strength and power any day of the week.

Bruce Lee would, and could knock Andre, Big Show, Viscera, and all of the other large men into next week.

Shawn took a ridiculous bump off of getting his head rammed into the turnbuckle. He decided to sell it by jumping onto the second turnbuckle and doing a rolling senton. That was way over the top.

And again, I'm almost positive I've seen Perfect take the same bump. I'd hate to turn this into one of those stupid "if wrestler X did it..." debates, but I don't get why it's so unprofessional in Shawn's case while Perfect gets a free pass on that stuff.

And again, I'm almost positive I've seen Perfect take the same bump. I'd hate to turn this into one of those stupid "if wrestler X did it..." debates, but I don't get why it's so unprofessional in Shawn's case while Perfect gets a free pass on that stuff.

Perfect took similar bumps, and I know the bump he did that I'm sure is the one you're thinking of, but he never did bumps like that. Perfect did his to get over the strength of his opponent and were done to make the other guy look good. Shawn's, in that match, were done purely to make the match into a joke because he was upset over having to do the job. Perfect never did that, which is where the difference is.

Because HBK has a laundry list of incidents behind him, and basically told everyone the next night that he stooged for Hogan on purpose. Take off the Sexy Boy heart shaped glasses when trying to see what people are talking about here.

Well, from what I recall hearing, Hogan basically demanded the match be booked his way, and wasn't willing to listen to ideas from Shawn Michaels or anyone else. Basically, Hogan being Hogan.

So let me get this straight, Hogan was being Hogan, HBK finally met a politician with more clout, and that justifies HBK acting like a dick both during and after the match? It almost sounds like the very definition of unprofessional from here.

Perfect took similar bumps, and I know the bump he did that I'm sure is the one you're thinking of, but he never did bumps like that. Perfect did his to get over the strength of his opponent and were done to make the other guy look good. Shawn's, in that match, were done purely to make the match into a joke because he was upset over having to do the job. Perfect never did that, which is where the difference is.

Similar to the Flair flop. It's an expected character trait to put in that ridiculous overselling. I don't want to get into the assumed reasons behind it, but Michaels performing like that in one single match really looked like shit, totally corny and cartoony.

Regarding Saturn, I don't think one (or two) matches where he stiffed and stretched someone who wasn't co-operating warrants an inclusion on this list.

On the other hand, there's Paul Roma. Despite (eventually) doing the job, he no-sold everything and refused to work with Alex Wright in a WCW match. While it was a single incident, (I don't remember hearing of anything else), it got him immediately fired and he never worked in the american majors again.

Guest RayCo

Triple H

Bret Hart

Bob Holly

Bruiser Brody

Jeff Jarrett

Samoa Joe

Kurt Angle

Kenta Kobashi

Guest RayCo
Samoa Joe

Kenta Kobashi

And this is because...?

They stiff people, unnescessarily, and don't even make it look that impressive, their way too big for their boots and think their something their not, there just nothing special. They are overrated, overuses, no-selling, dangerous, sloppy gimps.

The original plan for Michaels/Hogan was going to be 2 matches where each combatant would win one (this is retarded though because what's the point of doing 2 matches if it's going to be tied at the end?). Hogan did not want to lay for Michaels, and wanted to go over Michaels twice. HBK complained and cried to McMahon, but in the end, Shawn still had to do the job. That's why he oversold and shot on him the next day on Raw.

Michaels telling Shamrock to call spots too loud happened on a Raw leading up to the 1997 Survivor Series. Michaels was calling spots out loud and encouraged Shamrock to do so (in order to make Shamrock look green). Anyway, here's Herb Kunze's tidbit on it "Shawn Michaels spoke too loudly again (as he had on RAW the previous week, in a match against Ken Shamrock that seemed to be thrown together at the last second)" http://rspw.org/tidbits/tidbits.971113

As for Michaels calling out the Undertaker, here's a quote from John Petrie's Raw Recap

"The Undertaker appears on the Titan-Tron and says the "Hell in the Cell" will be Shawn's final resting place.

Shawn the grabs the mic in his left hand and says "Undertaker ... ". The camera angle switches and suddenly the mic is in his right hand, with Michaels saying "I made you taste your blood once ... and at 'Hell in the Cell' you had better have liked the taste of it, because I guarantee you, you are going to taste it again!" Obviously something was edited out here. Word on the Net has it that Shawn tore into a string of profanities, and that this is what was cut out, as well as his challenging the Undertaker to come out and fight him, which was impossible since the Undertaker wasn't in the building. Some are saying

Shawn deliberately made the Undertaker look bad, knowing there was no way for him to come out and face him. One also has to acknowledge the possibility that some was cut due to time constraints. Rumors of this being a major "shoot" are already circulating, with some speculating that this was a deliberate attempt by Michaels to get himself fired so that he

could seek his fortunes elsewhere. As is always the case with the continuing Michaels saga, we shall see.

http://rspw.org/petrie/970915.txt

Michaels, although injured, didn't know if he was going to drop the title to Austin at WrestleMania 14. There was talk of Undertaker backstaging having to threaten HBK to do the job, but he was telling his friends that he didn't know if he was going to do the job at WrestleMania.

Those are the big stories explained.

When you're talking unproffesional, one candidate has to be Buzz Sawyer

From Wikipedia

In Mick Foley's book Have a Nice Day, Foley recounted a story where The Undertaker told Foley he paid Sawyer to teach him to wrestle. Sawyer only showed Undertaker how to lock-up (or start a match) and then skipped town the next day.

I have heard that he done this many times in diffent towns.

In the Giant/Maeda match, it sounds like both were extremely unprofessional, Maeda just came out looking better.

I don't see how you can call Kobashi unprofessional. Yes, he was stiff as all hell, but he's taken as much physical abuse as just about anyone. If everyone's stiffing each other (i.e., AJPW!) then it's not unprofessional. And your whole point as to whether you think Joe or Kobashi are lousy wrestlers, that has no bearing on how professional they are in this discussion.

How on earth is Bret Hart even in the running? He didn't stiff people, he didn't refuse jobs.

He no-sold some of the matwork at WMXII. Then there's the Montreal incident. That's all I can think of.

New Jack might be the biggest. Mass Transit, basically trying to kill Vic Grimes. THe guy's obviously a psychopath.

When you're talking unproffesional, one candidate has to be Buzz Sawyer

From Wikipedia

In Mick Foley's book Have a Nice Day, Foley recounted a story where The Undertaker told Foley he paid Sawyer to teach him to wrestle. Sawyer only showed Undertaker how to lock-up (or start a match) and then skipped town the next day.

I have heard that he done this many times in diffent towns.

I've heard of that happening at the old ECW House of Hardcore, too. They'd take a guy in, he'd pay up, they'd teach him how to take one bump, and then tell them to get the hell out.

Watching the end of that Maeda/Andre match. I know there's controversy about the footage, as some claim it's edited to make Maeda look worse. I don't see how, but that is a side issue. In any case, it is apparent that Andre was not prone on the ground from taking so many kicks. He was trying to entice Maeda to lock up on the ground. I think the whole thing ended up as a giant mess rather than validating anyone.