TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

College Basketball 06/07

Yeah, I love Georgia Tech so much right now.

As thrilled as I am about UVA after tonight's win over VT, what has me really psyched is VMI, who upset High Point to get to the Big South final against Winthrop. If you haven't seen VMI at all: they had to kick two scholarship players off the team at the beginning of the season and were left with four scholarship guys. So, rather than play traditional ball, they instituted an insane version of the Grinnell offense to make the best use of their scrubs, basically shooting at will (the goal is 100 shots and 50 threes per game), trapping constantly, and creating chaos on the court at the expense of giving up easy layups. They sub out the entire lineup every 2 or 3 minutes, just like a line change in hockey. Totally fascinating and hilarious. They top 100 points most games, even in losses, and I think they've broken 130 at least three times. I would love to see them upset Winthrop and become The Most Unpredictable 16-Seed Of All Time.

You know, it's funny but I saw that stat of VMI leading the country in scoring at something like 101 a game and thought they might be a scary team. That said, in no way should they beat Winthrop. Winthrop beat them 108-76 and 109-96 in the two meetings, so Winthrop is going to put up insane numbers on them.

I wonder how a loss to VMI by Winthrop would be looked at by the committee. I think they could have survived a close loss to High Point to snag an at-large bid...not so sure about VMI.

Winthrop is #69 in the RPI. If they don't beat VMI then they are truly screwed, since that loss would knock them down even further. Gonzaga is 70 and similarly screwed.

I am still not grasping the concept of VCU going over ODU/Hofstra/Drexel as the automatic bid. Or that the CAA is not getting an at large bid.

VCU had the one of the easiest schedules in the CAA

They only played Hofstra and Drexel once, and split with ODU

They also had a major loss at Bradley at home and no notable major OOC win.

Drexel while listed as number four in the conference, has wins against Villanova, Syracuse, and Creighton. Drexel split with Hofstra but was swept by Old Dominion.

Hofstra beat VCU in the one game they had, and has a notable win at Holy Cross and split with ODU. However, hofstra still suffers from notable OOC wins.

Old Dominion (I go there so I am a tad bit biased) has the notable win against Georgetown, and has the wonderful winning streak. Yet, ODU was embarassed by James Madison which cost us the regular season title, split with Hofstra, VCU, but swept Drexel.

If it goes by the order of seeds ODU will beat Hofstra, and VCU will be Drexel and VCU and ODU will meet in the finals

I conclude by saying VCU is quite overrated.

Tony f'n Douglas comes back for Florida State today and hits a HUGE NBA range three pointer with 7.3 seconds left to tie it and send it to overtime with Miami. Thornton and Douglas are playing like two guys who want to fight into the tournament. The rest of the team? Not so much.

82-82

Florida State comes back from 6 down with 1:30 to play, ties it and wins by 8 in overtime.

Al Thornton was a MONSTER with 45 points (one shy of the school record that he could have had but showed class by not slamming it down with 5 seconds left all by himself), 8 rebounds, 2 blocks and 11/11 from the line. You cannot ask for a better game from a senior. Tony Douglas comes back from that broken bone today, scores 13 points including the one I mentioned.

That was one hell of a game. Miami was trying to come back like FSU did in OT but Thornton slammed one against the glass to shut the door on it. FSU could be a little more dangerous with Douglas back as it allows Rich to move around more and not worry about running the offense. They will still need one or two wins in the ACC tournament to have a shot of making the NCAA, I'd say they need at least two wins which I dunno if they can get. But damn, that is a way for a senior to close out his final ACC regular season conference game.

Yeah, Al Thornton won ACC player of the year today. With Douglas back, you can add FSU to the list of "dangerous teams in the ACC tournament," which now includes pretty much everyone.

UVA choked at Wake, which sucks, but eh. I haven't seen these guys in the tourney as long as I've been a UVA fan, so I'm still thrilled at an 11-5 year and a good seed.

Badgers got their revenge over MSU but it required another heart attack finish. Finally, Drew Neitzel wasn't Christ at the end.

Some great defensive performances from both teams.

Alando Tucker topped 20 points in his final Kohl Center game, and Kammron 'Chris Rock lookalike contest champion' Taylor hit a late three to win the game.

Virginia is bewildering to me. I mean, in the past 2 weeks they have had the chance to win the ACC, yet lose games to Miami and Wake Forest, the two worst teams in the ACC.

Do you guys realize that if OSU loses to Michigan today that KANSAS will be #1 in the nation? I can't write comedy that good.

Both were road games after big home wins, this one on only 40 hours rest. UVA plays tight and mediocre on the road--everyone in the ACC does, actually (only Duke and BC tomorrow have a chance at getting 5 conference road wins), but UVA does it especially badly. I'm still pretty happy with the inevitable 4-6 seed, though, depending on conference tourney performance.

Great win for Kansas today, holding off super-Durant. If Texas gets a 5 seed, I expect half the country to have them out in round 1 and half to have them in the Final Four.

Stanford picked the wrong time for six players to get food poisoning as they drop one at home to Arizona and have now lost five of eight. 10 wins in a Top 3 conference might be enough but if they get bounced in the 1st round of the conference tournament they might be heading to the NIT.

Michigan's seniors choked away a win against Ohio State and I imagine they'll have to at least make the Big Ten finals to make the Big Dance. It might be the end of the line for Tommy Amaker.

Glad to see that Texas A&M picked it up in the second half to cruise to a nice victory. The Big 12 Tourney could be interesting with Kansas, Texas, Texas A&M all with a chance to win it.

One other comment is that Huggins has quickly turned around the K-State program. Unless they win the Big 12 Tourney I don't see them making the NCAA Tourney.

Kansas St. is a team that I thought might get in, but now I take a look and their RPI is 59. Not so hot. I think the Big 12 is like the Old Coaches Home, what with Knight and Huggins both going there (not to mention Eddie Sutton before that). Maybe Tubby Smith should go there and try to turn around Colorado or Iowa St.?

It's funny to compare teams sometimes. Texas right now is 22-8, RPI of 31, SOS of 60. U of L with a win tomorrow would also be 22-8, SOS of 33, and yet is behind Texas in RPI at 40. Both teams would also be 12-4 in conf. play. No real point to that comparison, other than to note that Texas is looked at as a major force to be reckoned with in the tourney and few people are picking U of L to do much.

I scoff at these pundits who think Kansas deserves a #1 seed. RPI of 18. SOS of 93. Hell, I'd give Southern Illinois a 1 seed if they win tomorrow before I'd give Kansas one. Of course that won't ever happen, mainly for two reasons: 1. The MVC is still looked at as a mid major league. 2. So. Illinois is god awful boring and plays every game about 63-59.

Clemson with a huge win today at VTech puts them back on the favorable side of the bubble. If GT wins today I believe that puts Clemson at #8 which puts them in a HUGE game against FSU in the first round of the ACC tournament.

Drexel is losing to VCU with about 5 minutes left. If they lose I think that ends their NCAA at-large bid.

Clemson with a huge win today at VTech puts them back on the favorable side of the bubble. If GT wins today I believe that puts Clemson at #8 which puts them in a HUGE game against FSU in the first round of the ACC tournament.

Drexel is losing to VCU with about 5 minutes left. If they lose I think that ends their NCAA at-large bid.

Yeah, Clemson will be the #8 seed and taking on #9 FSU for the best shot at the NCAA tournament. Clemson loses, they are done and Florida State will still need to beat either VA or NC to even have a remote whisper at an at large bid. Personally I think they are both in the same boat of needing two wins in the ACC tournament, possibly three for the Noles.

The ACC tourney should be extremely interesting.

Nobody wants to win the ACC! Virginia could have won it yesterday--didn't. VT could have won it today--lost to Clemson. Boston College could have put themselves in position--didn't.

Sweet, sweet sweep of Duke by UNC this year. No matter what else happens, that makes this year a mild success.

And they clinch the #1 seed in the ACC tournament w/ the win to boot. Nice.

Your boy just got jacked the fuck up by Henderson. Blood and mouthbreathing everywhere! Total cheap shot, no matter what Billy Packer's dumb ass thinks, but I guess that's what happens when the starters stay in with 14 seconds to go. Dumb move Roy Williams, dumber move Duke player.

Ooh, and Henderson will be suspended for the opener in the ACC tournament. Since Virginia gets the Duke/NC State winner, I love it.

Tyler wanted to throw down so bad there. His entire face was quivering w/ rage. I was loving it. Hopefully he doesn't have a broken nose, but even if he does he can just wear a badass noseguard for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure what Billy Packer was looking at. That "block attempt" looked an awfully lot like a punch.

I noticed that Memphis is probably going to get drawn into a 2 seed. I pray that USC gets a 7 and gets put in that bracket.

This is going to be the most wide-open tournament I can ever remember. Quite a bit of newer blood this year.

Is anyone NOT going to have Memphis out in the 2nd round? Honestly, aside from a lame consolation Maui win over UK and an OT struggle against a depleted Gonzaga, has Memphis beaten anyone this year? Oh, they also beat that amazing co-champ of the SEC West: Ole Miss~!

I'm sure Iggy will be thrilled to know GT is now in the tourney. 20-10 and 8-8 in the ACC makes it surefire. I'd put them somewhere in the 7-10 range.

U of L is now 12-4 in the Big East and #2 seed in the BE tourney!

I'm happy with how this season went for Nova. 21-9 and 9-7 in conference play with the toughest Big East schedule (G'Town, Cuse, and ND twice, no games against South Florida or St. John's), probably an 8 seed right now, but depending on how things go in New York they could be a 7 seed if they beat DePaul and possibly a 6 seed if they upset G'Town (I'd love another shot at them, we almost got a sweep this year.)

I'm actually thinking about splurging on some BE Tourney tickets since I'm on break this week.

I will be so glad when the Packer finally goes away. I want to see him get into another verbal confrontation with the head of the selection committee when there are too many mid-major schools in the tourney when he thinks a team that placed 8th in the Big East should have made it.