TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Art Sandusky

OAO 2007 Royal Rumble Thread.

Yet another Smackdown Rumble win. That makes it 4-1 since the brand split. Benoit didn't join Raw till after he won the Rumble so i count that as a SD win.

And yet Raw is still considered the superior brand by WWE.

I mean, Smackdown won most of the stuff in the Raw vs. Smackdown war of late 2005.

Smackdown has won the most Rumbles.

Smackdown won the 2002 King of the Ring...

They won the Survivor Series 05 match.

i wonder if that was a "Thank you for your 17 years of service" win for Taker or they really think Dave/Taker is going to be huge?

Streak vs. Title = Huge to WWE and most people would agree, especially because of the drama with Taker being the first one to win the Rumble at 30 and it seeming like destiny.

Batista/Taker is what I'm interested in at Wrestlemania. I was hoping for it last year before Batista got hurt. It is the biggest match they have.

The other notable thing is that Kennedy is going to be a star. After tonight, I'd be very suprised if Kennedy goes the year without winning the title.

Solid PPV. Hardys/MNM was good, Lashley/Test was a shit ending but atleast it was short, Kennedy/Batista was good, I really enjoyed Cena/Umaga, and the rumble match was alright, atleast they had the right final 4/2/winner.

Seriously I thought this was a solid PPV, wish I'd spent 40 on this instead of Survivor Series.

Yet another Smackdown Rumble win. That makes it 4-1 since the brand split. Benoit didn't join Raw till after he won the Rumble so i count that as a SD win.

And yet Raw is still considered the superior brand by WWE.

I mean, Smackdown won most of the stuff in the Raw vs. Smackdown war of late 2005.

Smackdown has won the most Rumbles.

Smackdown won the 2002 King of the Ring...

They won the Survivor Series 05 match.

That's part of the Raw vs. Smackdown war of late 2005.

You can make the case that right now is the most over Shawn Michaels has been in his career (at least the last 10+ years) and they can't waste him in a side attraction match at Mania. Like it or not the fans want to see him on top

This was a pretty solid PPV. The opener was no Orient Express/Rockers but it was a serviceable formula match that had a good finish sequence.

Test bumped as much as he could salvage Lashley but Lashley is a lost cause. The match was paint by numbers but had a really dumb finish that looked as if they didn’t want to end this feud but then they went had Lashley kill Test again.

Batista and Kennedy was probably one of the better non Benoit and non over-booked matches of his career. Kennedy looked pretty good here in dominating and taking out Batista. Batista did more to put over Kennedy then Taker bothered to. Which is hardly surprising.

The LMS was shockingly enjoyable and only proves that Cena is tremendous in these gimmick matches. I liked the build through the match leading to the somewhat creative finish with the ring ropes which was a welcome change from the typical double KO spot. Typical Cena crowd though. Mixed reactions to start, full CENA SUCKS chants and at the end? He gets a pop.

The Rumble was pretty interesting in that it didn’t have many memorable spots on first viewing but the theme throughout the night with Punk, Benjamin, Edge and RVD doing the skin the cat spots was good. I liked Finlay getting a good run and especially liked Punk going longer then expected. I’m sure there was a lot of “little” things that I missed that’ll enhance this match greatly. It felt like the 1994 rumble in that the ring was full throughout the match except at the end where Khali murdered everyone. I hated that MVP managed to be one of the final 5 and avoid Khali but what can you do? The final four was the most predictable every but the finish with Shawn and ‘Taker was easily the best final two ever with legitimate suspense in who could actually win the mini-match and showed these two could still click. It’s a shame that it was in Shawn’s hometown because otherwise ‘Taker would gotten a big reaction for winning.

How many people got a kick out of Finlay zeroing in on Punk as soon as he came in? That’s what I love about Rumbles, you can watch one years later and notice a little mini-story on the side that you might have missed on first view. I liked Matt and Edge going at it right away which reminded me of Shawn/Marty in 1994 but not quite as dramatic. Finally having #30 win was good because it was pretty silly after 20 years that #1-5 had won it 6 times.

I didn’t feel cheated by this show at all.

I didn't like that they announced all 30 guys a head of time. Part of the fun of the Rumble has always been the possibility of a suprise debut or something fun like the Brawler or Doink coming out.

You can make the case that right now is the most over Shawn Michaels has been in his career (at least the last 10+ years) and they can't waste him in a side attraction match at Mania. Like it or not the fans want to see him on top

I think that might be a reason why he will not be in there against Cena. I think WWE is looking to make Wrestlemania 23, like Wrestlemania 3, one of it's signature historical events. In 4 years they are going to want to be able to play clips of Cena beating up Rated RKO and the fans going buck wild not Cena beating HBK and getting booed out of the arena or even HBK winning the title.

After tonight they HAVE to put Michaels in that WM main event with Cena. They would have to be the retards of all time to not book that. It would defy every possible logic to shunt Michaels to some nothing match on the show and have Edge and Orton in a heatless match with Cena. Everyone knows they would job, so to hell with that idea.

I say just have HBK and UT both win the belts at WM. After Batista's horrendous performance tonight I don't even want to hear a rumor at him ending UT's streak.

This was one of the better PPVs Ive ordered in a while but unfortunately it looks like it could be the highpoint and everything going downhill, at least until Summerslam maybe..

With the ECW Title match, Test basically just quitting didn't do anything but hurt the credibility of the Title and hurt Lashley in the process..and now what?

And with Smackdown, Batista flat out stinks as the champion..If anything, the crowd chanting for Kennedy instead of Batista should be a wakeup call on how the fans see Batista, but its not gonna help Kennedy any. I'll pencil him in as the Money in the Bank Match winner at WM if there is one though..

Cena/Umaga was much better than I figured it being and the ending was really done well. But Umaga is pretty much screwed now like I said...whats there left for him to do on RAW?

The Rumble match itself..nothing too memorable and they handled the Kahli deal ok (I was worried he'd rack up like 15 eliminations or something insane), and having Taker be the one to eliminate was obvious and at least they went that way (I figured it'd be a fluke elimination). The final 4 was respectable..and I really would like to see HBK/Taker after their mini match at the end.

I still stand that Edge/Taker, Orton w/McMahon Vs Batista W/Trump and Shawn/Cena is much more worthwhile. All it requires is finding a way for Edge to get to Smackdown and beat Batista for the title thanks to Orton (in turn, setting up Orton/Batista). You'd get a better trio of main events this way and give two more likely good matches instead of settling for one. Besides, Batista fits Trump more then an old man dancing in leather chaps.

I hate the idea of Taker and Shawn still main eventing WM in 2007 but the fans clearly want them.

What was with that HBK/Booker nonsense? Neither of those guys had the slightest interaction tonight and if anything it looked to be setting up a Kane/Booker feud. The only real notable interaction HBK even had with a SD guy was elminating Finlay, which went nowhere.

While I suppose it was nice to see UT win a Rumble this wasn't the right one. The crowd clearly would have preferred Michaels, and now we've hit bizarro world with #30 winning. This is disturbing. UT now has won the Rumble with #30 and also goes to WM. I seriously hope they don't think of jobbing him to Batista, given Batista's total lack of heat, drawing power, or competence at this point.

I have to admit some of the backstage Rumble drawings were funny tonight. Edge and Orton's "If you show me yours I'll show you mine" was amusing. As if they couldn't get any more homoerotic. And of course, Ron Simmons.

I thought the Rumble match itself was dissapointing. There were just way too many guys in the ring at once, and not enough action to justify it. Just the same punch / kick stuff you see in most battle royals. The last 10 minutes was really hot though.

And do what with Batista at that point? I say let UT get his last title win at WM. I know they might thinking having Cena end his streak would give Cena the ultimate rub, but it would blatantly backfire and everyone would hate Cena forever and think he was a joke.

Hell, I say let Michaels and UT get one last run.

I really don't think WWE want's to risk putting Cena in a face vs. face match.

I hope they don't waste the Streak on Batista who dosn't need the rub. I think I guy like Kenedy would be perfect for that role, but WWE isn't ready to pull the trigger on that yet.

And do what with Batista at that point? I say let UT get his last title win at WM. I know they might thinking having Cena end his streak would give Cena the ultimate rub, but it would blatantly backfire and everyone would hate Cena forever and think he was a joke.

Hell, I say let Michaels and UT get one last run.

Instead of doing Batista/Undertaker, I'd just have Batista drop the title to Edge thanks to Orton. This would lead to Edge Vs Undertaker with the idea of streak vs streak. Edge/Taker would be a pretty good match as well. In turn, you'd set up Batista against Orton, with that match you make that the McMahon/Trump program. Batista being the good looking big man with style would be better for Trump's image then a old dancing man in leather pants and Orton fits with McMahon's sleazy persona. That would leave Cena/Michaels for that Rock/Austin type main event. Just more to work with and much better end result with that set up.

Tonight the crowd was cheering for Kennedy to beat Batista....I can only imagine what the crowd in Detroit would think if he beat UT. 70,000 people rioting is an ugly thing.

You know what I say? I say fuck it. No bizarre and convoluted Orton and Edge bullshit involving them doing anything but a heatless heel vs. heel match. No ending of streaks. Just give both HBK and UT that one last title win at WM. They have both earned it and it's not like Cena or Batista are worth a damn anyway.