TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

2007 Ozzfest tickets to be free

Credit: Billboard

February 06, 2007, 2:55 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Tickets to the 2007 edition of Ozzfest will be free, organizers said today (Feb. 6). The 25-date tour will begin July 7 in Los Angeles; details have yet to be announced regarding distribution of tickets. The event, which will be headlined by Ozzy Osbourne, will be underwritten by a host of sponsorship deals.

"For the last few years, ticket prices have steadily climbed as artists demand more and more money for summer tours," says tour creator Sharon Osbourne. "We certainly want everybody to make money; however, we also want the kids to be able to afford to come out and have an incredible experience. If we continued with the traditional touring festival model, we would have no choice but to raise ticket prices again this year."

Ozzfest will visit such cities as San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Albuquerque, N.M., Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, Kansas City, Mo., St Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Pa., New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Hartford, Conn., Charlotte, N.C., Atlanta, West Palm Beach, Fla., and Nashville. Besides Osbourne, the rest of the lineup is still coming together.

The artist will be performing material intended for his first studio album since 2001, due later this year. Osbourne only played a handful of Ozzfest shows last year, giving way to mainstage acts such as System Of A Down, Disturbed and Hatebreed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy fucking shit. The only reason I have never beenw as because of the ticket prices. This is a shocker.

i just wonder how they're going to do it with demand being so high. I'd love to attend the Los Angeles show.

Wow, thats awesome news. I wonder how people will be able to get tickets and if they are going to have split stages like they have been, or if they are going to have on big stage. I would love to go this year if I could get some tix.

Edit: Yeah, it prolly will be a bunch of pussy emo bands, but seeing Zakk Wylde and Ozzy for free aint bad.

Bottled water will probably be like $30.

Get one and nurse it like you're in the desert.

I want to know who's going to be there before I drive 100 plus miles up to the concert. Course I'll be overruled and forced to go, but I'll stand by my guns for the moment.

If Korn plays, she'll have to drug me and tie me up to make me go.

Guest DogOn
"This will change everybody’s impression of the way touring in the summer in America should be."--Sharon Osbourne

If what Sharon Osbourne says is true (which I don't think it is) then it is only going to cost us more to get into a good show without having to endure mindless commercials or annoying sign up deals. Which would suck SO bad.

In a crazy world where everything Sharon Osbourne says became true, then living free would only cost us more.

In the words of my God - Sponsorship deals are - BULLSHIT!

This could be a very bad idea here in Dallas/Fort Worth.

I went in 2004 with a few good friends. We wound up getting a bag of water bottles into the show, and then we took said bottles and refilled them what felt like every five minutes. It was pretty nasty out there. 100 degrees, easily. I may have drank twenty bottles of water that day. I didn't piss once throughout the thirteen hours I was there. Thank god for comfy shoes and a lightweight soccer jersey.

With the free tickets and overpriced everything, there could be a riot in Dallas. Too many people and possibly not enough water. It could very ugly.

From what I've understand, that there is no real full lineup, except Ozzy. What is mainly going to happen is say Tool will be on for about two or three dates, and Motorhead would be on for another two or three dates. They are also trying to get lots of local metal bands in said dates to play at the shows.

The Ozzfest 2007 Fans unofficial MySpace page has been updated with the following information regarding the ticketing system for this year's event:

Q: Will OZZY OSBOURNE play at my show?

A: Ozzy will headline ALL Ozzfest dates on the main stage.

Q: How do I get tickets?

A: Those signed up to Ozzfest.com will get the info on how to obtain their free tickets first! You will need to get a ticket just like previous Ozzfests. However, you will do so online and for FREE. You will need to go to Ozzfest.com or one of our sponsors websites to do this. Those who are signed up to Ozzfest.com will get an email with instructions and links once tickets are available. You will print out your tickets and bring them to Ozzfest or get them from one of our sponsors. Yes each venue has its own capacity level and only the amount of people allowed will gain entry. You will know you will be allowed entry because you have your ticket in advance. The show will be general admission. The seats will be first-come, first-to-sit-there-and-watch-the-show-in-that-seat basis. There will be still a second stage and it will be located in the same area of the venue as previous Ozzfest. Yes, it will still be an outdoors show. Now you are inside and you paid nothing. Merch, beer, water, food and soda price will NOT be raised more than any other show at that venue in the summer of 2007 to cover your free entry.

Q: Will there be a limit to the number of tickets I can buy?

A: Again, yes, there will be. The amount has not yet been determined, but there will be.

Q: How will I gain entrance?

A: You will print out or recieve the tickets that you have secured and you will bring those with you to the event, where you will exchange them for entrance.

Q: How will the seating be decided?

A: As in previous years, the second stage will still be general admission for everyone without seats. However, as far as main stage, it will be first-come, first-served basis for both general admission AND the seats. Of course, you do not stake claim to seats, meaning that if you stand up and leave the seats, others are entitled to sit there.

Q: Will merchandise and concession prices be raised to make up for the lack of ticket price?

A: No. The prices will remain up to the individual artists to decide. However, there will be no expected raise in prices.

Q: How will the artists make money off this?

A: They are free to book themselves at local shows on days before, after, and days of the fest. Also, they are, as always, welcome to bring and sell merchandise.

Q: How different will the bill be from date to date?

A: Some second stage acts may change. However, the main stage acts will be committed and appear throughout the tour, unless otherwise stated.

Q: Will bands autograph CDs at the FYE tent in 2007?

A: There will still be a tent where the bands sell and do their CD signings. It may be FYE or could another store who handles it, but either way you will be able to purchase the bands' performing CDs and have them sign those.

Somehow I picture not only timeshare type pitches when picking up tickets but also some guy with a hot branding iron in the shape of the chevy logo or something telling me to bend over when I walk in

Its an interesting venture..the tour still does well but they have had some lag and last couple years have done the 10 dollar cheapo seats as well (when before this was always sold out) and had some low interest dates that I believe were actually canceled

gotta see some bands before I even decide to go bad lineup STILL not worth it

p.s. this worries me

Q: How will the seating be decided?

A: As in previous years, the second stage will still be general admission for everyone without seats. However, as far as main stage, it will be first-come, first-served basis for both general admission AND the seats. Of course, you do not stake claim to seats, meaning that if you stand up and leave the seats, others are entitled to sit there.

so i wait out all night at say "sponsor X" to get a good seat, for example, if i get up and go to the bathroom I dont have any rights to that seat? hello? not the crowd you want a free for all at over "whoes seat is this" when you clearly have a ticket with a reserved seat

granted most of the crazy kids will be in the front pit or lawn areas for these venues but theres plenty of drunk idiots in the seating area as well

just call it all general admission cause , if I read correctly, thats what it is anyway

either that or lets get a catheter or mini porta-a-potties to bring with us for the day long event and bring in food as well

I think all the tickets will be GA & you would print them/receive them ahead of time. Whoever gets the seats gets them...but they're open again if you go to the second stage or whatever.

I'm going to guess they'll have security to make sure the troglodytes dont try stealing seats from people already there.

Snuff has it right. It's like any other GA show you've ever been to but with security to make sure you don't get tossed from your seat. If you leave your seat on your own, you lose your seat.

It has worked at other places...but with an ozzfest crowd? Not sure. What they may end up doing is like Warped tour does. Put the main stage outside so it's standing room only and have the second stage have seats. People rarely stay in their seats at the second stages, usually just to rest and then head back outside to the main stage hells.

Rage Against the Machine will be headlining, baby. THE WHOLE FUCKING BAND.

Complete and utter horseshit.

Rage Against The Machine, of all the bands in the world, is going to headline a summer tour exclusively funded by corporate sponsors?

Kiss my black ass.

Ahem...Black Label Society has.

Slayer, The Haunted, Unearth, and Lamb of God are all on tour throughout the summer. Ditto Cannibal Corpse. Gwar refuses to do Ozzfest, preferring Sounds of the Underground (quote Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus: "The difference between this tour [sotU] and other tours like Ozzfest is...well, this tour doesn't suck!"). Shadows Fall is with Stone Sour on the Jagermeister Tour. I cannot think of a single band that'll be free in the states to do Ozzfest that would warrant me even remotely wanting to go.

So unless they get Send More Paramedics, Darkest Hour, and/or Kataklysm...fuck Ozzfest.

There is no way that the line-up will be anywhere near good, no band is gonna wanna do a free show unless they REALLY need the exposure.

If, say Slayer or Lamb Of God are playing in/around Chicago around the date of the Ozzfest stop there...the idea seems to be then that they would be invited to play the Ozzfest show.

The obvious drawback to a band doing that would be possibly less people at their headlining show. But, one could assume that the fans of that particular act would see their headlining show anyway as it would be a longer set & tickets aren't exactly thru the roof for most metal acts anyway.

The positives would then be to play in front of a larger crowd, 'give something back', sell alot more merchandise than they normally would at their 5000 seat venue.

Rage Against the Machine will be headlining, baby. THE WHOLE FUCKING BAND.

Complete and utter horseshit.

Rage Against The Machine, of all the bands in the world, is going to headline a summer tour exclusively funded by corporate sponsors?

Kiss my black ass.

How to follow a terrible post with an even worse one.

Ahem...Black Label Society has.

Slayer, The Haunted, Unearth, and Lamb of God are all on tour throughout the summer. Ditto Cannibal Corpse. Gwar refuses to do Ozzfest, preferring Sounds of the Underground (quote Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus: "The difference between this tour [sotU] and other tours like Ozzfest is...well, this tour doesn't suck!"). Shadows Fall is with Stone Sour on the Jagermeister Tour. I cannot think of a single band that'll be free in the states to do Ozzfest that would warrant me even remotely wanting to go.

So unless they get Send More Paramedics, Darkest Hour, and/or Kataklysm...fuck Ozzfest.

Bleeding Through doesn't seem to be set for a summer tour, wouldn't be shocked if they are a part of the headline stage.

Is there going to be a Gigantour this year? I missed last year's but I caught the first one in 2005 and it wasn't a bad show but I haven't heard anything about a follow up for this year.

Well...Kataklysm is likely out. They're on tour with Dimmu Borgir and two bands I don't give a rat's ass about.

So yeah. I heard that the best way to get the free Ozzfest tix is by signing up for their e-mail list, plus they'll also send updates of confirmed acts. Might be worth going to this year, since it's free and all.