TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Art Sandusky

From the "No Shit" Department:

Guest Oedipus Rex
Some analysts have commended today's young people for increased commitment to volunteer work. But Twenge viewed even this phenomenon skeptically, noting that many high schools require community service and many youths feel pressure to list such endeavors on college applications.

No fucking shit. The Onion had a good parody of this.

Still, I don't think it's the worst thing to tell your kids they're special. Just thought I'd get that in there before BruiserKC and Invader3k come in here to bash encouraging your children to be unique and share their other midwestern dullard views on parenting.

Well, narcissism is troubling. One thing I notice is that people younger than me sometimes seem to be socially stunted. They don't know how to interact socially on a mature level.

I do wonder how all the cell phones and websites and such will affect today's teens as they become adults.

Oh, I'm sorry, I mean...let's have mandatory beatings for college students! Wooooo!

Mr. Incredible said it best about schools these days:

"They keep coming up with new ways to celebrate mediocrity but when somebody comes along that's truly special they ignore them."

Sure he was talking about Dash but the quote fits.

I do wonder how all the cell phones and websites and such will affect today's teens as they become adults.

Don't forget their dadgum Nintendos, Grandpa.

I am waiting for the day when we have to give a kid a trophy just for showing up at school just to make them feel good. Looking at children today alot of them don't understand basic ideas such as what is cheating and interacting with fellow students. Some think that just because they show up for class that means that they should pass, even though they don't hand in any work.

Whatever happended to the days when you had to earn respect until it was given to you?

Guest Oedipus Rex
Whatever happended to the days when you had to earn respect until it was given to you?

I don't know what happended to them, how about you actually define when "the days" were? 70s? 80s? Are we talking about an actual point in time, or is this like when you guys talk about how kids "used to" respect their parents?

C'mon Czech, you know 'them days' was back when we used to walk through 30 feet of snow barefoot just to get our ruler-slappin' from the schoolmarm.

You know what I meant. I am 26 years old. When I was younger, if you acted like a dumbass then you were treated like a dumbass. If you were a person that was nice and respectful to others you were in turn treated the same way in return.

This was what I was referring to with respect.

You know damn well what I meant by cell phones and Myspace. Kids don't know how to interact socially anymore. Everything is done instantaneously and online, or people are glued to their phones constantly.

I mean, I know this is a stretch, but I watched one of those "Wife Swap" shows before RAW last night. The "new" mom took away the daughter's cell phone, and she literally broke down in tears. It was like she couldn't function anymore. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

That, and there's a lot of stupid parents out there.

There truly are alot of horrible parents out there. It is amazing how many parents don't seem to get involved in their children's lives.

There was an episode of the Andy Griffith Show where Opie met the new kid in town. The new kid ended up playing a spoiled lil brat role. He was talking Opie into demanding a bigger allowance with less chores from his Pop. Later, the new kid got in trouble for riding his new bicycle in the wrong place and Barney Fife impounded it. He brought his dad to the Sherrif to get his bike back. When Andy wouldnt return it the kid started crying & said his dad would go to jail in exchange for the new bicycle being returned. His dad realized how spoiled his kid was, asked for the bike back himself so he could sell it and, at the suggestion of Sheriff Tayloy, took his boy out to the woodshed.

But, yeah, spoiled kids is a concept entirely new to the Myspace Generation.

There was an episode of the Andy Griffith Show where Opie met the new kid in town. The new kid ended up playing a spoiled lil brat role. He was talking Opie into demanding a bigger allowance with less chores from his Pop. Later, the new kid got in trouble for riding his new bicycle in the wrong place and Barney Fife impounded it. He brought his dad to the Sherrif to get his bike back. When Andy wouldnt return it the kid started crying & said his dad would go to jail in exchange for the new bicycle being returned. His dad realized how spoiled his kid was, asked for the bike back himself so he could sell it and, at the suggestion of Sheriff Tayloy, took his boy out to the woodshed.

But, yeah, spoiled kids is a concept entirely new to the Myspace Generation.

That was an awesome episode. The kid needed to get some respect knocked into him.

I think that things like myspace and youtube have helped to usher in a new level of narcissistic behavior.

Well considering you can go to a club like 151 or Tabella's up here in Seattle and get to watch underage girls try to act like their whore 22 year old counterparts...

There is basically no distinction anymore between ages and this is what happens.

Guest Oedipus Rex
That, and there's a lot of stupid parents out there.

Maybe we should have had them pass a parenting test to get a reproduction license, lest they be forcibly sterilized by the government, riiiiiiiight Invader?

Guest Oedipus Rex
Doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Um, yes it does?

So after you hypothetically took your fucking test, how would the procedure go? Would there be one line to stand in to get your picture taken in front of a camera if you passed, and another line to get your balls zapped in front of an X-ray machine if you failed?

Retardation has no generational boundaries.

True, but I find most of the retards end up happening because they were trying to be older than they are mentally capable of being. *Most* people who are 15-16 should not be at a club, partying with 25yr old+ people and then trying to outdo the 22yr old chicks in the hopes of scoring some jailbait cruising dude to father their child, fall in love with, marry because Grandma said to and then divorce 7 months into the pregnancy.

Guest Oedipus Rex
That was an awesome episode. The kid needed to get some respect knocked into him.

You're durn tootin'!