TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Ryan Adams

Ok - I don't only listen to pop indie rock and mainstream pop rock bands. What is everyone's opinion on Ryan Adams? I know a few years ago he was considered a darling and then Rock N' Roll came out and everyone soured on him. I actually very much enjoy that album for what it is. Then in 2006 he released three discs; Cold Roses, Jacksonville Nights, and 29. Each had a different style and Cold Roses was a double disc.

I have to admit, I didn't really give 29 a fair chance but most of the songs seemed very rambling. For the most part, it was well received. I think that Cold Roses was a great effort, probably best since Gold.

How I'd rank Ryan Adam's albums:

1. Gold

2. Heartbreaker

3. Cold Roses

4. Demolition

5. Rock N' Roll

6. Love is Hell

7. 29

8. Jacksonville City Nights

I slotted Gold over Heartbreaker because I really enjoy New York, New York as the lead song and Goodnight Hollywood Blvd as the closer. I also think the meat of the album is a slight bit stronger than Heartbreaker, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either.

Discuss if anyone still cares about him.

Personally, I didn't dislike 'Rock N' Roll' either. I prefer his more country-ish stuff. 'Heartbreaker' is great. 'Gold' is ok. His last couple albums have been hit or miss, I think. There's some good stuff on them, but they're a little bloated and indulgent, but still, when he's on, he's really on. I read today on Pitchfork that he's playing at Stonehenge over the summer.

Are we including Whiskeytown in with this? I'll assume not. His last couple of albums have been pretty clunky - Cold Roses was at least a return to form, if not slightly bloated. Love is Hell is by far his worst, though. Parts 1 and 2. I'm all about the Suicide Handbook, though.

Last year I heard a guy on the radio asked if he had all of Ryan Adams' work. His reply was to ask what month it was because there was probably a new album out.

I really like most of his stuff (and agree with most assessments above, except as noted with Jacksonville). Cold Roses is actually my favorite album of his though. Especially disc 2.

I also really liked Jacksonville City Nights of the recent albums. Jacksonville, Hard Way to Fall, September, One Kiss Before I Go are all solid efforts. The album admittedly isn't balanced that well, but I do enjoy it quite a bit.

My rankings would be:

1) Cold Roses

2) Heartbreaker

3) Gold

4) Jacksonville

5-7) Demolition, R&R and Love is Hell (like all at about the same level)

N/A) 29, haven't given a full listen yet.

Guest Eagle Man

I've only heard Cold Roses, and I'm not really in love with it. Not that it should affect the merit of his work, but the fact that he looks like a Gap model and acts like a total jackass is still a hurdle I need to clear in my road to Ryan Adams appreciation.