TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Top WWE wrestlers named in SI steroid investigation.

I read this and I don't think anyone will care. Pretty much everyone knows wrestlers are on the juice and there are so many smokescreens to hide behind there's no way the govt. will do anything. Vince can hide behind the Wellness Policy if need be, maybe toss a Chris Masters to them and say he failed a test to show it's working. Most of these guys can say they were legit injured and had a doctor's prescription for this stuff as well. Since wrestling isn't a legitimate sport, nobody will care.

From PWInsider:

WWE RESPONDS SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ALLEGATIONS

by Dave Scherer @ 11:38:00 PM on 3/19/2007

WWE posted the following on their website tonight.

A Statement From World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.

March 19, 2007

All of the allegations set forth in a recent SI.com article mentioning WWE predate the initiation of WWE’s current Talent Wellness Program. This WWE program prohibits the use of performance enhancing drugs, as well as other prescription drugs which can be abused, if taken for other than a legitimate medical purpose pursuant to a valid prescription from a licensed and treating physician. For purposes of WWE's policy, prescriptions obtained over the Internet and/or from suppliers of prescription drugs from the Internet are not considered to have been given for a legitimate medical purpose.

It's interesting to note that they brought up the Wellness Policy. It certainly now opens them up to scrutiny from outside sources where the policy is concerned so they will have to be more vigilant than ever in its enforcement going forward if they don't want potential problems down the road.

Well they only thing I find surprising is that Helms and Rey have been on roids. I doubt the general public will care too much. The average Joe probably thinks evey pro wrestler is on roids anyways.

You can't be serious about Rey, right? It's a no-brainer he was on roids. Of course, Eddie, though being off hard drugs, was obviously on roids; anyone who watches his 2004 No Way out title win over Brock can obviously see that he has perhaps the worst case I've ever seen of back acne from roids.

Guess Benoit gets his roids from Canada, and thus, will not be named...until his unfortunate premature death from steroid related causes.

Most people who arent familiar with wrestling will be surprised that guys like Rey and Helms were on roids...it'll certainly blow a hole in the theory that you have to look like the freakin incredible hulk to be on steroids..which might be a good thing for other REAL sports too..

Most people who arent familiar with wrestling will be surprised that guys like Rey and Helms were on roids...it'll certainly blow a hole in the theory that you have to look like the freakin incredible hulk to be on steroids..which might be a good thing for other REAL sports too..

Helms wouldn't get coverage. Mysterio would for being his size, a former champion and somewhat of a name in the wrestling world. The general public would see Mysterio and know that he was a roid monkey because a 5'5 guy should never be that big.

During that whole mess with Edge, Matt Hardy, & Lita, Hardy had a statement on his website from Edge's wife where she said, "Adam tried taking steroids when he came back from his injury, but he's such a chickenshit, they didn't make him any bigger."

Rey is one of the most easily identifiable roid users in the company. It's not possible for a 5'3" guy to be that big, especially since he's put on a good 30-40 lbs of muscle since the end of WCW.

During that whole mess with Edge, Matt Hardy, & Lita, Hardy had a statement on his website from Edge's wife where she said, "Adam tried taking steroids when he came back from his injury, but he's such a chickenshit, they didn't make him any bigger."

The most glaring example of Edge's roid abuse is the MITB match he won.....go back and take a look at how he looks there compared to how he looks now and you can see a stark difference......

She also made comments that he was taking so many roids that his voice was starting to change.

I don't mean to sound "meh" about this entire thing, but honestly, does any of this even matter in the big picture? Everyone knows Prowrestlers take steroids, because it isn't possible to get that muscularly huge simply by lifting weights. The masses of WWE fans certainly haven't shown they give a whole lotta shit about it considering they marvel at gigantic beasts of men and for the most part buy right into the notion that "muscles = awesomeness"

It's not like we are dealing with a legitimate sport with legitimate stats and records. Prowrestling has always been treated as a sideshow by mainstream sports, and this is just another example of why it will continue, because promoters/owners like Vince McMahon don't really give a flying fuck about the health of his roster, he just wants big "larger than life" muscle men to go out and entertain people. He basically wants a muscular circus sideshow.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I am condoning, or even a fan of this type of wrestling or attitude, however I just don't see anything ever changing about steroids in Prowrestling as long as Vince McMahon is in charge of the biggest attraction of them all. Let me further reiterate, if I honestly felt this investigation was going to "clean up the business" or change things in and around the WWE, trust me, I'd be doing backflips as we speak, however this kind of stuff has gone on for way too long when anyone with half a brain and one good eye, and a nose could spot it from a mile away and it never changed anything before.

EDIT: Oh and I love how WWE reps reference the Wellness Policy considering that has already been shown to be a joke as it has been modified several times as to protect the golden boys.

From the reports spread around, it seems that Orton is the big deal. Which surprises me since Mysterio seems like a bigger deal given his size and legacy and actually being a part of the late 90's surge.

From the reports spread around, it seems that Orton is the big deal. Which surprises me since Mysterio seems like a bigger deal given his size and legacy and actually being a part of the late 90's surge.

If anything Rey could be an example of WWE and how they want workers no matter what their past wrestling background is and how much success they had before, to basically alter their bodies with poison to fit a certain profile. I am sure Rey would never have sniffed a WWE title without the aid of steroids, and that is a slight on WWE, not Rey.

The only time I ever noticed a difference in Edge's build, was the time of his return from the neck injury in April of 2004, especially when he kept working with the broken arm. That goes well with the timeline that Orton is suspected of using them.

If you go back and listen to Edge's promo on Eric Bischoff before he speared him during his return to Raw on the 2004 draft lottery show, he FUCKING HUGE (well, for Edge's standards anyways) and his voice sounds completely so different, it's scary. His voice got deeper like Big Show's. When Edge was doing those blogs on WWE.Com, he claimed the weird voice was a side-effect of the neck surgery, but that sounded full of shit to me.

Guest Chumpstain

A couple of years ago on Off The Record, a Canadian sports talk show, Edge came right out and said he'd used steroids after returning from his neck injury. He also said he blamed them for the rash of injuries he suffered following that, and that he'd given up on them as a result. Now, whether or not you believe that is up to you, but it's hardly news that he used steroids when he said himself that he did. That show was just before the Money in the Bank match he won, if I remember right, and just before the Lita thing leaked out.

Christian was also on the show with him, and refused to answer when asked if he ever used steroids. Hmm. ;)

And didn't Vince try to bury Orton on TV before when he was injured with the comments he made? People looking to blame WWE can look at that.

yep, I remember that....told him his neck looked like a "stack of dimes"

But as noted, since wrestling isn't a real sport there's really no viable way to do much about it. Edge is a perfect example of what I mentioned, that these guys can simply hide behind legit injuries and say "Hey, I used steroids under a doctor's supervision to heal from an injury." Orton has also been hurt on and off over the past few years, so he too can say this same thing. I recall HHH saying this as well when he came back in 2002 from the quad injury.

Wrestlers are almost always nursing some sort of injury, even if it's minor. Since it's not a real competitive sport, who is going to care about them using juice?

Since it's not a real competitive sport, who is going to care about them using juice?

The boxing matches (or street fights) in Rocky movies aren't competitve sport either. Yet, Stallone's hgh bust has been big news.

Since it's not a real competitive sport, who is going to care about them using juice?

The boxing matches (or street fights) in Rocky movies aren't competitve sport either. Yet, Stallone's hgh bust has been big news.

Stallone is a much bigger name than any wrestler outside of The Rock. I doubt the wrestlers will stay in the news very long.

Also, Stallone's story is bigger because he actually broke the law by bringing it into Australia (allegedly).

I was really suprised to see this as the top story on ESPN this morning. This is not good publicity for the WWE no matter how you spin it. Usually they stay off the radar but I'm starting to think this may have some implications. The story mostly focuses on Orton, but mentions the other guys' names. Canseco, Holyfield and Matthhews Jr. just get a sidebar (although they were covered heavily a couple of weeks ago).

Guest robrabies

I wonder why they list Orton's name most prominently....is it because he received the most Rx's, because he's probably no bigger of a name than Mysterio or Edge, and definitely not Angle.

I wonder why they list Orton's name most prominently....is it because he received the most Rx's, because he's probably no bigger of a name than Mysterio or Edge, and definitely not Angle.

Either that or the fact that he had the same doctor listed as Matthews did.

Probably more along the lines of him needing eight different prescriptions, which shows that he was a very hardcore user of steroids compared to the other guys. When everyone else is on one or two and you have the whole damn buffet of them next to your name, you are going to be the one they focus on.

And didn't the E change their wellness policy to where if you violate it, you still work but you don't get paid? So really, what difference would it have made if this was recent?

From PWInsider.com audio:

-WWE was aware that this was coming, so it wasn't a shock.

-Shortly before the story broke, Vince's mood totally changed and was obvious. It wasn't so much "mad" as it was "concern".

-When Kurt Angle was named a couple of weeks ago, guys in WWE were like "eh, serves him right, he was a jerk when he was leaving here" so when the guys in WWE were named, it shook some of them up.

-Many in WWE are starting to wonder if the wellness policy will return to being how it was before, where a number of guys were more openly suspended and the such.

-It looks bad for these guys, especially for Randy Orton (8!), since they have multiple drugs they are linked to, and there's no reason for that unless you are indeed abusing them, even if you have legal prescriptions for everything.

-Vince McMahon looks horrible in all of this, mainly when you look back at what he said to Randy Orton on that one RAW show when he was mocking him about being so skinny and small, and said that he needs to go back to the gym.

-If nothing else comes from all of this, they are in the very least now painted with the "oh, he's the guy named in the steroids thing" from here on out. WWE could have a problem with even more fans going along with the steroid chants and that sort of thing, and they do not want that.

If it all leads to the WWE telling security that anyone who chants "steroids", "Roids", "get the needle", or any variation at any of their wrestlers during shows should be removed from the building then it'll go from sad to hilarious.

I think it'd end up having long-term implications if Lashley or Cena was found out. I think they're clean, but that's really the only way this would ruin things. I'm starting to question if they'll ever give Orton that god push that's been lined up for the last two Wrestlemanias and put him over the top anyway.