TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Top WWE wrestlers named in SI steroid investigation.

EDIT, UPDATE:

From PWInsider:

WWE RESPONDS SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ALLEGATIONS

by Dave Scherer @ 11:38:00 PM on 3/19/2007

WWE posted the following on their website tonight.

A Statement From World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.

March 19, 2007

All of the allegations set forth in a recent SI.com article mentioning WWE predate the initiation of WWE’s current Talent Wellness Program. This WWE program prohibits the use of performance enhancing drugs, as well as other prescription drugs which can be abused, if taken for other than a legitimate medical purpose pursuant to a valid prescription from a licensed and treating physician. For purposes of WWE's policy, prescriptions obtained over the Internet and/or from suppliers of prescription drugs from the Internet are not considered to have been given for a legitimate medical purpose.

It's interesting to note that they brought up the Wellness Policy. It certainly now opens them up to scrutiny from outside sources where the policy is concerned so they will have to be more vigilant than ever in its enforcement going forward if they don't want potential problems down the road.

Oh boy...

From PWInsider:

TOP WWE WRESTLERS NAMED BY SPORTS ILLUSTRATED IN ONGOING STEROID INVESTIGATION

by Dave Scherer @ 6:08:00 PM on 3/19/2007

While continuing their investigation into the alleged steroid distribution network in Florida that has implicated numerous pro athletes, the magazine's website posted a story today where they reported that they have documents that show a number of WWE wrestlers' names have been linked to the investigation.

In addition to Kurt Angle, who the magazine already named, they are now reporting the following:

"According to the official documents we reviewed, (Arizona Dr. David) Wilbirt was billed for HCG and the steroid stanozolol that were sent to WWE star Eddie Guerrero in early 2005. (Guerrero died on Nov. 13, 2005, in a Minneapolis hotel room due to what a coroner later ruled as heart disease, complicated by an enlarged heart resulting from a history of anabolic steroid use.) Wilbirt also allegedly issued prescriptions for the steroids nandrolone and stanozolol to Oscar Gutierrez, whose stage name is Rey Mysterio. (Through the WWE, Gutierrez declined comment.)"

They also reported the following:

"In total, there were 11 professional wrestlers listed in the documents that we saw. Some of these wrestlers are working as independents; some are out of the business entirely; others are first-tier stars. Consider Randy Orton, who allegedly received eight prescriptions for six different drugs -- stanozolol, nandrolone, anastrozole, Clomiphene citrate, oxandrolone and testosterone -- between March 2004 and August 2004. (Through the WWE, Orton declined comment.) Interestingly, according to the documents, Orton's prescriptions came from the same two doctors whose names appeared on the prescriptions in major league outfielder Gary Matthews Jr.'s file."

They later wrote:

"According to the documents two prominent wrestlers, Adam Copeland, a.k.a. Edge, and Shane Helms, a.k.a. The Hurricane, received HGH. (Through the WWE, Copeland and Helms didn't respond to a request for comment.) But virtually all the others allegedly received a wide variety of anabolic steroids. In each case these were supplied by Applied, the Mobile, Ala., compounding pharmacy that was raided last fall."

When SI.com asked their reporters if WWE has a drug policy, the reporters, Luis Fernando Llosa and L. Jon Wertheim said, "Llosa/Wertheim: Gary Davis, a WWE spokesman, pointed us to a Talent Wellness Program instituted in February 2006. As to whether anabolic steroids and HGH are banned, Davis sent us an email quoting the policy: 'The WWE policy prohibits the use of performance-enhancing drugs, as well as other prescription drugs which can be abused, if taken for other than a legitimate medical purpose pursuant to a valid prescription from a licensed and treating physician. For purposes of WWE's policy, prescriptions obtained over the Internet and/or from suppliers of prescription drugs from the Internet are not considered to have been given for a legitimate medical purpose.' Citing privacy issues, Davis declined to say whether WWE wrestlers have tested positive for banned substances since the policy was implemented."

To say that this is not good for WWE would be a monumental understatement.

To read the entire SI story, click here.

Well they only thing I find surprising is that Helms and Rey have been on roids. I doubt the general public will care too much. The average Joe probably thinks evey pro wrestler is on roids anyways.

Mysterio doesn't surprise me at all. Like everyone else so far, I am surprised at Helms being linked to this.

Who didn't expect Rey to be on something?

The only one that shocks me even a little is Helms, but even with him I'm not that amazed. There are very few wrestlers out there right now that would totally shock me if I found out they were juicing.

And yeah, this isn't some sort of groundbreaking news or anything, but it still hurts to have it be made public in an ongoing investigation. Now watch Vince come out on RAW tonight screaming about how he's Vince McMahon damnit, and then go on and on about how he took on the federal government and won.

If someone asked fans to come up with a list of guys obviously on roids, Edge, Angle, Eddie, Orton and Rey would all certainly come up. As for Helms, well not all guys who take PEDs end up looking like monsters. Everyone reacts a little differently to the effects of the drugs.

Actually, the LEAST surprising should be Eddie or Angle, but I'm not shocked that guys like Rey, Orton, and Edge are on the juice. WWE better hope this "investigation" doesn't pick up any momentum.

If they follow the rules of the Wellness Policy we could be in for a WrestleMania of epic proportions. We could end up with midget mania matches.

I would love to be backstage at Raw, especially when Orton and Edge were told they've been named in the investigation.

Hey, Edge now has his reason not to wrestle tonight.

I wonder if they'll get pulled from Wrestlemania.

I guarantee you that they won't get pulled because the matches are already hyped up and this is WRESTLEMANIA. they may have gotten pulled if it was another ppv but definitely not Mania

Its not like they were caught with em yesterday..this was a couple years ago.

I dont get why SI is reporting on wrestling..I can only imagine the research they did into it..

SI Reporter: Oscar Gutierrez is on the list..we got a boxer!

*does a google search*

SI Reporter: Hmm..no match found to a boxer..but look..hes a professional wrestler..aww damnit..

I dont get why SI is reporting on wrestling..I can only imagine the research they did into it..

Sylvester Stallone was named as well, right?

I would love to be backstage at Raw, especially when Orton and Edge were told they've been named in the investigation.

Hey, Edge now has his reason not to wrestle tonight.

They'll all agree that those people MUST be on TNA PAYROLL.

Guest robrabies

As was said earlier, these doc's are a couple of years old. The E may very well have known about this and had the talent disclose it during the initial stages of the Wellness policy. To imply that all of these guys suddenly failed tests is overdramatic.

Honestly, is it really a surprise that wrestlers used steroids? I highly doubt any substantial fallout will come out of these revelations.

Couldn't criminal charges be filed against them?

Edge a few years ago was obviously on roids if you go back and look he's fuckin giant compared to what he looks like now........he apparently got away from using them again.