TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Worst Wrestlemania Matches

This is something I haven't seen here before. We've discussed the best Wrestlemania matches, but what about the worst? My vote goes to Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper from Wrestlemania II. A badly worked boxing match that did more to expose professional wrestling than promote it.

I actually thought that match was quite entertaining. The Bart Gunn/Butterbean match did more to expose the business than the one you speak of.

Worst though is probably Undertaker/Giant Gonzales from Wrestlemania IX. That was just pitiful.

are we including horrible shit like the Candice/Torrie pillowfight?

or do you mean REAL wrestling matches? UT's involved in most of them other than against Nash and Triple H.

Guest reality1480
I gotta swing with Rude vs. Roberts from 4. A 15 minute chinlock.

I concur most boring match ever.

From a 10 year old mark's perspective, Savage and Sherri vs Rhodes and Sapphire was a fun match. I'll put my worst in this order:

1. Goldberg vs Brock - stall - punch - stall - kick - stall - finisher. The only positive to this match was the NUCLEAR crowd heat.

2. Undertaker vs Giant Gonzales

3. Undertaker vs Bossman - I did enjoy the hanging stunt with the Brood at the end, but the match itself was horrid.

4. John Cena vs HHH - I don't know who dediced this was a good match, but everyone who was over here watching it was begging for it to end.

5. Jake Roberts vs Rick Rude from WMIV was pretty bad.

Yeah I gotta go with Goldberg vs. Lesnar. It is historically bad. Rude/Roberts is the case of guys just doing a boring time limit draw, nothing amazing or historic. The Gonzales match is just cheesy crap and I can live with it, ditto HIAC with Bossman. Those both suck but I can tune it out and survive knowing they exist.

Goldberg vs. Lesnar is jaw dropping in its badness.

This all depends on if your criteria of "worst" is long and boring (Jake vs. Rude), completely forgettable (Demolition vs. Tenryu & Kaito), squasharific (Harts vs. Bolsheviks), a stupid gimmick (Butterbean vs. Gunn), an embarassment (Brock vs. Lesnar), utterly pointless (Duggan vs. Bad News), a screwy finish (Beefcake vs. Honky), matches that should never have been booked in the first place (there are a few on almost every show) or a women's match (pretty much all of them).

Some bad matches (for a variety of reasons) that come to mind:

- David Sammartino vs. Brutus Beefcake, WM 1

BOOOORING.

- Jake vs. Andre, WM 5

A bad, bad match that went nowhere even with a ton of overbooking.

- Natural Disasters vs. Money Inc., WM 8

More of a house show match than a WM Title match. LOD should have been challenging here.

- Piper vs. Goldust, WM 12

Just a ridiculous idea, though I guess this isn't even technically a match.

- Headbangers vs. Godwinns vs. New Blackjacks vs. Furnas & LaFon, WM 13

Four heatless teams, one bad idea (a four way tag team match), one bad stipulation (#1 Contenders). Come to think of it, any four team match goes on this list... I believe WM 18 and WM 20 had them as well.

- Rocky vs. The Sultan, WM 13

Why is this dude named the Sultan getting an IC Title shot at WM? And why is this heatless newbie the IC Champ?

- T & A vs. Headcheese, WM 16

Don't think I've seen this mentioned but I remember everyone shitting on this online the next day.

- Wrestlemania XV

In its entirety.

Oh, and call me a sucker, but I like the Blindfold match.

Pretty much all of WrestleMania XIII outside of Hart/Austin (obviously) and the six man street fight (A fun brawl). I would make Owen and DBS Vs Mankind and Vader an exception as well but I don't remember a single thing about that match so it must have been a pretty big letdown.

Ultimate Warrior v HHH at Wrestemania XII.

Obviously there were reasons for it, but it was hardly the most thought through match...

Would that be too quick to be bad? Didn't it just go a minute or two?

Razor Ramon v. Bob Backlund, WM IX. Perfect v. Luger on the same show was a pile of shit too. At least some of the other matches were entertaining in their own fucked up way.

What a horrendous Wrestlemania.

Ultimate Warrior v HHH at Wrestemania XII.

Obviously there were reasons for it, but it was hardly the most thought through match...

Would that be too quick to be bad? Didn't it just go a minute or two?

Well, that's it. Was just over a minute with HHH getting some offensive in, hitting the pedigree only for Warrior to jump straight up and do his stuff and win.

If Vince really wanted to punish HHH, he should have had him pinned without getting any offence in or be given at least a five minute burial.

Though at least it WAS short - some matches have just dragged on for 95 per cent longer than they should have.

Heck, even the Shawn v Bret Iron Man looks poor by some standards today...

Helmsley vs Warrior served it's purpose. I wouldn't call it an actively bad match, like a lot of the Undertaker's matches at Mania against people like Gonzalez have been.

I think it's ridiculous to call squashes like Helmsley-Warrior and Backlund-Ramon the Worst WrestleMania matches. At least they were quick and served a purpose. Goldberg Vs Lesnar, considering it was their last match in the WWE, really didn't serve any purpose and is rightfully dumped on.

Backlund-Ramon the Worst WrestleMania matches.

Man, that was a long ass squash and Backlund got some offense. That's almost as bad as Roberts-Rude, it's like once those guys found out they were going to a draw, they decided to be lazy.

Backlund-Ramon the Worst WrestleMania matches.

Man, that was a long ass squash and Backlund got some offense. That's almost as bad as Roberts-Rude, it's like once those guys found out they were going to a draw, they decided to be lazy.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen WrestleMania IX in years.

And whoever said Andre Vs Hogan at WrestleMania IV I agree wholeheartedly. Good lord- actually any Andre/Hogan match from that era is bad but Andre/Hogan at WrestleMania III had the "the biggest matchup in WWF history" going for it and the Main Event had the "first one on one rematch of the biggest matchup in WWF history" angle going for it but all of this had was just Andre Vs Hogan in their crappy usual match.