TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Yeah, I just looked at BoxOfficeMojo.com, and that is crazy. There is nothing notable coming out the rest of this month or september, and maybe even october, so this may have a shot at $600M. What does it say when the next notable movie to come out may be Saw 5?

As it's been noted, both Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder come out either this week or within the next few weeks. Both should do pretty good business.

As for hitting $600 Mil- I don't think so. $500 mil is about as high as I see it going.

As it's been noted, both Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder come out either this week or within the next few weeks. Both should do pretty good business.

As for hitting $600 Mil- I don't think so. $500 mil is about as high as I see it going.

I'm sorry, but when a film makes 2/3 of the domestic box office record in 18 FUCKIN DAYS (blowing the previous record of how quick to gross such out of the water, Shrek 2, at 43 days it took it), I think its suffice to say that it's going to come closer than only getting another $100 million on top of what is already been accrued. It may be close at the end to the 600 million, but I think this film is probably going to be in most theaters, at least on one screen, for EASILY another 6 to 8 weeks, if not more. The legs on this film is incredible......I would think everyone recognizes this by now. And even when it finally leaves the first run theaters, it will probably get a second wind in second run "discount" theaters for a good long while. Granted, it wont pull a shit-ton of money in the second run theaters, but enough to keep the momentum going. And if this film gets any significant Oscar noms, I could see this also being re-released in IMAX theaters and other first-runs here and there as well near Feb/March of next year. I don't know if WB has even announced a date for DVD/BlueRay release, but if I were them, I think they could get away holding off on it until April of next year or something, considering how long I expect this to be around theaters. And I'm not even going to comment on the business this will do on DVD as well.

I mean, shit, Dark Knight just made another six million yesterday......ON A MONDAY.....are you kidding me?

I don't see either Thunder or Pineapple really cutting into the roll the film is on......Thunder may take number one, but still, that's not to say Dark Knight will still be pulling in respectable numbers even sticking in the top five for, who knows how long. This film averaging 20 million a week for the next 4-6 weeks isn't that far of a prediction if you ask me.

I mean, shit, Dark Knight just made another six million yesterday......ON A MONDAY.....are you kidding me?

These are the numbers that fascinate me. Not just a monday...but the THIRD monday of it's release. That's nutty money.

Yes it is.

Dark Knight's weekend grosses will be cut in half by 40 percent each week, and then they will lose weekday numbers as August rolls on and people start going back to school

I was messing around with the numbers last night and consider these potential weekend numbers with that same 42% decline:

Week 4: 25.4 million (Aug. 8-10)

Week 5: 14.7 million (Aug. 15-17)

Week 6: 8.5 million (Aug. 22-24)

Week 7: 5.0 million (Aug. 29-31)

Now, something struck me as very odd about those numbers. Not so much this coming week but more the ones in late August. I can't see those weekends being as low as all that with some fairly bleh competition in the 2nd half of the month.

I'm thinking that TDK is going to be #1 again this week, but just barely again. #2 is going to be EXPRESS and MUMMY #3 after a big drop-off. Next week, TDK will drop to #2 with TROPIC THUNDER taking #1 and EXPRESS taking #3.

Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express seem like they'd attract roughly the same audience, so wouldn't them coming out the same week hurt each others' numbers?

Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express seem like they'd attract roughly the same audience, so wouldn't them coming out the same week hurt each others' numbers?

EXPRESS open tomorrow while THUNDER opens on the 13th.

Well, Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express will probably make a decent amount of money, but they don't seem like major releases to me. I don't know anything of note coming out in September, and Saw 5 is pretty much the only movie I know of coming out in October. I don't really think that movie will make that much money, since people are really getting tired of that series.

I'm thinking that TDK is going to be #1 again this week, but just barely again. #2 is going to be EXPRESS and MUMMY #3 after a big drop-off. Next week, TDK will drop to #2 with TROPIC THUNDER taking #1 and EXPRESS taking #3.

Don't forget about Sisterhood.

Fantasy moguls has TDK barely edging out Pineapple Express to remain at #1.

And Tropic Thunder has been expected to be the late hit of the summer for a long time. With the starpower, it is considered a major release by far.

Yeah, I guess Tropic Thunder is a major release. Though I got a feeling that if it didn't have Robert Downey Jr. in it, no one would care about it. Stiller's last movie didn't do that well I don't think, and Jack Black's last live action movie didn't do anything as well, but Downey was in the blockbuster Iron Man, and really revived his career, so I think people's interest in the movie is all him.

It's funny because The Heartbreak Kid seemed like a flop for Stiller but it did make 127 million worldwide. Night at the Museum was a major hit for him in 2006, so I'd hardly say his career is in trouble or anything. As far as Black goes, he really hasn't had a flat out live action star vehicle since Nacho Libre, which made about 80 million (99 worldwide).

But yeah, Tropic Thunder is going to make money due to the fascination of seeing Downey, Jr. in blackface....or whatever it is he's doing, haha.

For some reason, I think Stiller is headed in the Eddie Murphy direction and will be doing more family movies in the next few years. This is purely speculation but let's face, it happenes to most comedic actors when they get older (Look at Steve Martin, Robin Williams, even Richard Pryor). I'd love to see Stiller work with Judd Apatow again.

The interest in me for Tropic Thunder is the cast. That is one of the most loaded casts to come along in a while. Stiller, Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Nick Nolte, Steve motherfuckin' Coogan, Bill Hader, Jay Baruchel. On paper, that's probably my second favorite cast of the summer behind The Dark Knight.

Edit: Whoa! This is the Dark Knight thread.

Just to veer it back on course. I find it weird that Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder are both Wednesday releases. It doesn't really make sense. It seems like Wednesday releases are usually before holidays or are superhuge releases. It almost seems like the studios don't want to beat The Dark Knight. Nevertheless, I think if Pineapple Express doesn't do it next week then Tropic Thunder will.

Just to veer it back on course. I find it weird that Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder are both Wednesday releases. It doesn't really make sense. It seems like Wednesday releases are usually before holidays or are superhuge releases. It almost seems like the studios don't want to beat The Dark Knight. Nevertheless, I think if Pineapple Express doesn't do it next week then Tropic Thunder will.

Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics are on Friday.

I don't really think Stiller is that popular anymore really. He really overexposed himself in 2004 by having like a 100 movies out that year, so I think people got kinda tired of him. Jack Black has never been that much of a draw in starring vehicles really. I think School of Rock, and Nacho Libre made a lot of money, but otherwise, not really. Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder have the same thing in common: they both have performances that look like they steal the show.

Yeah, dubq, I too find that laughable. I think people are sick of seeing psychological horror movies, although I always hated that shit since the Sixth Sense inspired all that junk.

Personally, I think it's gonna be a long time before a J-horror styled movie takes home the cake at the box office. I also don't think Keifer has the weight to carry a number 1 movie anymore. Actually, did he ever?

Personally, I think it's gonna be a long time before a J-horror styled movie takes home the cake at the box office. I also don't think Keifer has the weight to carry a number 1 movie anymore. Actually, did he ever?

I think the J Horrors lately have been really phoned in (the eye, shutter, pulse) and aimed at the teenager crowd and that's why they're failing. However, the earlier ones were very good, the Grudge even ended up being a lot better and more coherant than the orinigal. Just going by the trailer, Mirrors seems more like The Ring or The Grudge and it does have an R rating.

I still hate those kind of horror movies though. When I see a horror movie, I want to see a monster or some dude going around killing people, not shit where "there may be a monster, but its really just your imagination" bullshit, or it turns out to be some stupid plot twist at the end. Plot twists are the worst things ever invented, since it kills a movie and makes it useless to watch again.

I'm the opposite. I quite like those types of films. Although I do agree plot twists have gotten really forced lately. M.Night Shyamalan can take the blame for that.

When you've got some monster or axe murderer going around killing random people, there's no depth there. You don't care about the people he's murdering or why he's doing it. I think for any horror film to work you have to be sympathetic to the characters, which is what asian horror does best: it doesn't treat characters like they're expendable. When they die, it makes a difference.

Eh, I like both types of horror films but it just depends on how well done the monster movie is or the psychological style as well. Anything where someone finds out they are dead at the end though....ugh.