TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2007 Stanley Cup playoffs - second round

Guest Queen Leelee

NBC isn't showing any games this weekend due to The Players' Championship. So, they should be out by now.

Maybe CBC wants game 1 again for Saturday night. Lollerz.

The players like Glen Wesley and Rod Brind'Amour deserve Cups. That can't be disputed. Where they win them does not matter to me. Would I liked to have seen them win it with the Whalers and Flyers? Hell yeah.

Well, no.

Guest George's Box
The NHL needed more teams.

Did they really? And if so, did they need them at such a rapid pace? One of the big complaints was that talent was diluted by overexpansion. Of the cities that got NHL teams in the 1990s, the ones that have done well were cities that would've gotten expansion teams anyway, those being Denver and Dallas. They should be in the league, but not at the expense of Quebec City and Minneapolis-St. Paul. It took the National League like 24 years to add two teams, then another 5 to add two more, then 6 more to make a move. Look at every league change through the 90s:

1991: Barons split from North Stars, become Sharks

1992: Senators and Lightning added

1993: North Stars to Dallas, Panthers and Mighty Ducks added

1995: Nordiques to Denver

1996: Jets to Phoenix

1997: Whalers to Greensboro

1998: Predators added

1999: Thrashers added, Hurricanes to Raleigh

2000: Wild and Jackets added

That's instability. And that's bad. Tough to follow a sport when you don't know who's in it.

Anaheim, Miami, Phoenix, Raleigh, Nashville, all failures. Hockey can never succeed there because it's not ingrained in the culture the way it is in the north. People don't just watch hockey in Canada, the Midwest, and New England. They play it, too.

Guest George's Box

I've heard rumblings that the Predators, since their owner is from Racine, has thought about moving the team to Milwaukee. It's a northbound move, so that's good, but I think Milwaukee's window for NHL hockey has already opened and closed. The Bucks are claiming that the Bradley Center is inadequate (marble atrium = inadequate? it's an awesome arena), so that works against a move. I'm pretty sure previous attempts to expand to Milwaukee were squashed by Wirtz in Chicago and the Gunds in the Twin Cities, claiming it would oversaturate the region. Of course, the Hawks are just as untelevised in southeast WI as they are in Chicagoland, so it's hardly his territory, and cheesehead dopes are loathe to root for a Chicago team anyway. Wisconsin likes hockey, but at the college level, where the Badgers are running a solid program. An NHL iteration of the Milwaukee Admirals would be met with apathy.

Did they really? And if so, did they need them at such a rapid pace?

To answer your questions, yes, then no. Columbus and Atlanta should be coming into the league right about now.

There is still hope for Nashville. As long as they keep winning games, the fanbase will continue to build. They're doing a decent job of building a club, if they get a chance to stay there, which I will elaborate on. The rest I agree with, for the most part. The Predators have a shitty arena deal and local businesses aren't supporting the club, so they won't be there for very much longer anyway.

Because of their attendance issues and their lease, the team has 60 days to notify the city whether they'll invoke the clause in their lease to require the city to purchase tickets to make up to 14,000 attendees, or allow them to pay $18m exit fee on lease. I copied and pasted that sentence, I will not lie. They have almost 9,000 season ticket holders. They did not average 14,000 attendees over the course of the season. That's a shitty fanbase and I feel bad for the season ticket holders.

Even given those numbers, the owner said that he will not relocate. He said he doesn't care about losing money. Still, move them to Hartford. If teams are relocated, Kansas City or Houston are getting one. And then we will have the same fucking problem all over again.

I've heard Nashville to Kansas City, but that seems like a lateral move to me. I think KC will be to the NHL as Oklahoma City is to the NBA now that they built that new arena with no team to play in it.

That's two years in a row the Sharks could've faced Anaheim in the Bestern Finals. Now SJ looks like the team that comes close but can't finish it. They were only 1-3 against the Ducks at home, it's not a surprise to see that they couldn't win there.

That's two years in a row the Sharks could've faced Anaheim in the Bestern Finals. Now SJ looks like the team that comes close but can't finish it. They were only 1-3 against the Ducks at home, it's not a surprise to see that they couldn't win there.

who's acting like a cocky dickweed now?

san jose couldn't penetrate the wings, baby.

Guest Queen Leelee

If it starts Thursday, then NBC won't get a game. That's fine.

How many teams does Banky like?

are you writing a novel?

i'm more of a city allegiance guy.

the flyers was to spite the leafs fans. i don't care about philly. same with whenever i cheer for any ny team, thats usually because i hate boston teams.

pretty much any l.a/california or detroit team is who i'll cheer for.

so i like the raiders, l.a. kings, a's, dodgers, lakers

and i like the tigers, pistons, red wings. lions are alright, but i'd take the bears in the nfc.

i guess i have a passing interest in some chicago teams, too. the bears, blackhawks, & bulls are alright.

i think its that simple?

Good game by the Wings and to win on my birthday was even sweeter. Sameulsson of all people to step too, and Hasek made some timely stops

The Ducks will be very tough. But so were the Flames & Sharks so they should be ready for the challenge.

1 vs. 2 in the western finals too....Wasnt it just last year when 1,2,3, & 4 were eliminated in the first round in the West?