TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheFranchise

The OaO Backlash 2007 thread.

It was a good ending, and apart from Vince winning the ECW title, it was a pretty good show.

I even enjoyed a Batista match, would you believe.

Quote:

You say "Been There Done That" in reference to EDGE but not Cena? What are you smoking, exactly?

Did you read by post fully? If you did, you'd see "Been There, Done That" was a reference to Edge having already had an extended run as Cena's top nemesis. How could Cena be Cena's top nemesis? Edge is fun, and works hard, and can talk, but answer this: did you realistically think Edge could win tonight? No, because, ahem, they've been there, and done that, all last year, and Cena vanquished him as the #1 heel...for now.

"I even enjoyed a Batista match, would you believe."

You must have missed WM 23 and Batista's best match ever.

Funny, on the Smackdown! before WM 23 Batista said, and I quote, "I will have the best match of my career."

Okay, my apologies...it just seemed like you were throwing in nicknames just for the sake of giving them all nicknames. Honestly, I wouldn't have cared no matter WHO won, even Orton. It might have created a little intrigue at the top, something it is really lacking right now.

Sorry- what, exactly, was the finish?

Here is how Buck Woodward explained it at PWI:

Edge went for a spear on Cena, but Cena leapfrogged it, and Orton grabbed Edge for an RKO.

But, Edge shoved off Orton into Cena, who lifted Orton for an FU.

But, Cena shoved off Orton, and Edge hit Orton with a spear.

Cena grabbed Edge and gave him an FU.

Michaels superkicked Cena, who fell on top of Orton, and fell down. The referee counted Cena's unconscious cover of Orton before Michaels could break it up and Cena gets the pin on Orton at the twenty minute mark.

Yeah, I like Edge a lot. I just think putting him anywhere NEAR Cena is bad news. Because it makes the fans see Edge as "the guy Cena beat last year" (despite Edge having some luck against him, Edge never could beat him clean and Cena usually always made him look idiotic). So Edge falls into a category of bad opponents for Cena, despite Edge being a pretty good opponent for everyone else. Plus, let's get some new main eventers elevated.

Go back a couple raw threads ago and I called this exact finish. It was the only way to go anyways. Glad to see the show didn't blow aside from the Vince situation.

Judgment Day Predictions:

TAKER VS. BATISTA - Hell in a Cell

MICHAELS VS. CENA - Final "Rubber" Match - Gimmick

LASHLEY VS. UMAGA - If Lashley Wins, Gets ECW Title Shot at ONE NIGHT STAND

EDGE VS. ORTON

LONDON & KENDRICK VS. DUECE & DOMINO

KENNEDY VS. FINLAY (feud restarted after being scrapped for Backlash build)

BENOIT VS. MVP VS. HELMS

I am really interested to see where they go with the ECW title. Does Vince keep it for a few weeks only to lose it back to Lashley? Does he forfeit the belt and have a tournament? I would not mind seeing the Originals v. New Breed storyline involve the title for a while and have Lashley continue his feud with Vince. (You know Lashley will get the title back in a few months whether we like it or not).

so judgment day is going to have cena-michaels, undertaker-batista and lashley-vince in some way

sign me up

Really, though, Michaels/Cena is the best match Raw has to offer with such an awful main event scene. Edge is the defacto heel #1, and his stuff with Cena has been done a million times. Orton's not getting a singles main event. Who else: They won't job Khali yet.

If Taker/Batista can keep having good PPV matches despite LOUSY build-ups on Smackdown, that works.

Vince/Shane/Lashley/Umaga stuff is filler, it's not like the ECW World Title means anything after the December to Dismember bomb. Not to mention "TEST: WORLD TITLE CONTENDER".

You know, just when I think that a PPV might be a typical lame duck lesser show with some decent action they have to do something like this PPV tonight. I actually didn't mind most of the PPV, but that Vince crap is so sickening that I don't know if I want to bother with either Raw or ECW this week. I really hope that this ends up being Vince simply relinquishing the belt, but after the way he taunted the Originals I have my doubts.

I actually thought Shane might win this match tonight, and there are a few things they could actually do with that. The cocky rich punk Shane thinking he's hardcore and then the actual ECW guys eventually kick his ass, that sort of thing. But Vince winning tonight...relatively clean mind you...is like watching a guy jerk off to a giant size poster of himself. What can they even do with the belt at this point? It's like they bent over backwards to try and make the ECW belt a credible title, with mixed results. And then they do this. Unreal.

I don't mind keeping these programs intact, aside from the McMahon one. No need to rush into the next booking phase just for the sake of being "fresh". While I might perfer WM to be the END, rather then the start, I like seeing long drawn out programs as long as the product delivers and we're getting that with Cena-Shawn and Batista/UT. Edge-Cena worked quite well and going that direction right now is wise.

I do think putting the title on Vince was a jerk off moment since they could have done something with Shane being the champion. It doesn't kill the legacy of ECW, since some people are still holding onto it. The legacy was killed when Heyman couldn't handle business and closed down.

what was the finish????

The same finish that was the Raw main event for the past two weeks but with a twist this time HBK superkicked Cena who landed on Orton.

I don't mind keeping these programs intact, aside from the McMahon one. No need to rush into the next booking phase just for the sake of being "fresh". While I might perfer WM to be the END, rather then the start, I like seeing long drawn out programs as long as the product delivers and we're getting that with Cena-Shawn and Batista/UT. Edge-Cena worked quite well and going that direction right now is wise.

I do think putting the title on Vince was a jerk off moment since they could have done something with Shane being the champion. It doesn't kill the legacy of ECW, since some people are still holding onto it. The legacy was killed when Heyman couldn't handle business and closed down.

I dont have a problem with these seemingly long term feuds, but it is also the problem with these tri brand PPVs being mere weeks apart. We are going to get the same matchup time after time with not much room to build new opponents.

The thing is however....we all just know that this is prolonging the inevitable tedium of Cena simply beating Michaels again and this time Michaels will have to acknowledge he's the better man or something inane. Michaels is just going to job in the end.

I'm reading a few reviews of this PPV and am mystified that some people are calling this the best WWE PPV in a long time. A show where Vince wins any sort of world title, another title match has a screwy double countout finish (this I figured going in though, so it wouldn't have bothered me had it not come after the anal rape of the ECW match). And of course Cena pulling some weak shit out to get a fluke win. It's like the guy is the Honky Tonk Man if HTM were somehow a face.

anyone know what was up with the Cena/Michales smack talk after the match? Seemed like another one of those Michales being pissed off at Cena moments..

The people are mystified by the sheer awesomeness that was Melina/Mickey James, Benoit/MVP, and Edge/HBK/Cena/Orton at least Cena isn't winning doing that goofy "Awwwwwwwwwww" STFU face everytime.

Cabbage, you hold very little merit in your opinion when all you can do is make attempts to disparage John Cena at any given chance you have even when it's not warranted.

Vince McMahon putting the title on himself, is indeed self-serving but given the direction of the program, it had to be expected and as always Vince gets his comeuppance in the end. The idiotic notion that this will diminish that title any futher is just that, idiotic.

The main event saw a hot match that was well worked with a good finish that leaves the fans wanting the rematch. That's textbook. Your comparison between Cena and HTM is preposterously off-base.

Oh there were some things to enjoy here, make no mistake. I quite liked the women's match, but it's still time to bring up Beth Phoenix and/or Katie Lea from OVW to boost the women's division. I was glad to see Benoit retain, similar to the stuff that they've done recently on SD. Hardys match was also fairly good.

I dunno, I guess there's some disconnect with me when it comes to Cena. I don't see the appeal, or the baffling reluctance to simply get the belt off him for a while to make things fresh if nothing else. He's just become groan inducing to the point where I neither cheer or boo him. Cena is the first guy since the advent of monthly PPVs to constantly retain to the point where they have jobbed everyone out to him on Raw to the extent that no one has any heat left.

Is it possible for Cena to stop making the gay jokes before matches but then again that is probably the appeal to his middle school fanbase.

Whoever is booking this Cena/Michaels feud deserves a cookie. Old-School kinda vibe to it with Michaels winning a non-title 40 minute match and then the finish tonight. I will agree that Michaels HAS to win the blowoff for this feud to have been truly awesome and to have made sense, but I can't wait for the rematch and it will probably be the biggest chance Cena has had to actually lose the title during this reign. As a matter of fact, this is probably going the be the most unpredictable WWE Title match during Cena's reign(or at least up there with match with HHH at WM 22).