Poll: How do you say "NES/SNES"?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: How do you say "NES/SNES"?

• "Nes" ("ness") and "Snes" (snezz)
    • I spell it out. ("N-E-S" and "S-N-E-S"
    • I say the company name ("Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo"
    • "Nintendo" and "Super"
    • Other (specify)

Besides Anya, does anyone else hear "Ness" and "Snez" from other people?

I've heard "Ness" but not "Snez" - it's always "Sness" when I hear it.

Personally I say Nintendo (prefaced sometimes with "regular" or "8-bit") and Super Nintendo.

Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N-E-S and S-N-E-S are how I've always said them, and I don't think I've ever heard someone call them ness or sness.

Any time I've heard someone say it that way they sounded like an idiot.

Quoted for truth.

What's with this "snezz" thing? There's no "Z" in there!

Hey, I'm not the one saying it. I guess it's to make them pronounced slightly different enough so that you wouldn't have to repeat yourself.

"Sness" I've never heard of. Plus it seems too close to "sneeze".

"Snezz" I've heard from Brits (as the ones who posted seem to concur), but it bugs me a lot more than "Ness." It sounds like a lame college football nick ("Danny 'The Snezz' Snezzerton" at the 30! At the 20!...") or a sexual ephemism ("They snuck a snuke in the sniz *and* the snezz?!").

It's funny that English people seem to butcher the language more than anyone else.

Snezz and Nezz sound retarded, they are initials, therefore you pronounce them like that.

I tend to use Nintendo and Super Nintendo. N64 is called "The 64" and Game Cube isn't spoken of.

Also if you can't say Wii and need a nickname for it, you are retarded.

In my life, I have heard three people say "ness." One was a woman, one was in his 40s, and I hit the other one as hard as I could. I think "ness," in this context, is the most annoying word I have ever heard. I am so glad this got brought up. People! "Ness" is a dude's name, and "sness" is just clearly idiotic. Seven people on this forum apparently need an ass-kicking, and I think if I ever hear "sness" out loud it might land me in jail.

Ugh. You know how people have pet peeves? RIGHT HERE. And it's weird, because I have only heard it a handful of times, but it just grates on me.

Im even more suprised people are kicking up a fuss about it. If anything, saying "nintendo" or spelling out the console name's initials is retatred, it takes up more time.

Ive always called it the "ness" or the "snezz", it makes sense to me. But that might be cause im British.

Snezz and Nezz sound retarded, they are initials, therefore you pronounce them like that.

There are plenty of initials people pronounce out rather than spell out. Everyone pronounces out GLAAD. OTOH, nobody I've ever heard says "Um-wha" for UMWA.

This is apparently serious business. I'm sorry.

I was surprised by the seriousness of this thread too.

It's funny that English people seem to butcher the language more than anyone else.

I tend to use Nintendo and Super Nintendo. N64 is called "The 64" and Game Cube isn't spoken of.

Im calling it Nintendo now, til their next console comes out and then I'll use the !!s and nobody will care..yay.

Im calling it Nintendo now, til their next console comes out and then I'll use the !!s and nobody will care..yay.

But, the question is, how will you pronounce it? Will you just yell out "Double U!" to emphasize the 2 exclaimation marks?

Oh, and I pronounce it N-E-S and S-N-E-S, to answer the topic.

you are retarded.

But, the question is, how will you pronounce it? Will you just yell out "Double U!" to emphasize the 2 exclaimation marks?

Ha, good one.

"It has to be NES. Saying "N.E.S" outloud is just lame."

I have NEVER EVER heard anyone pronounce it NES or SNESZ.

Then again, this is coming from a See You in Toledo.

Tim

Im even more suprised people are kicking up a fuss about it. If anything, saying "nintendo" or spelling out the console name's initials is retatred, it takes up more time.

Ive always called it the "ness" or the "snezz", it makes sense to me. But that might be cause im British.

No different than spelling out the initials to "TNA" or "WWE" or "NBA" or whatever. Unless you like to pronounce it like "Teenah" or "Weee" or "Enbah"?

No different than spelling out the initials to "TNA" or "WWE" or "NBA" or whatever. Unless you like to pronounce it like "Teenah" or "Weee" or "Enbah"?

Those are solid abbreviations - they don't make plausible words. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who spells out the acronyms 'laser', 'scuba' or 'NASCAR', or in Australia, 'ANZACs' and 'Qantas'. People say 'J-PEG' and 'GIF' instead of spelling them out.

Something being composed of initials doesn't preclude it from being said instead of spelt. Some initials are just better one way or the other, although it's a little arbitrary (USA and URL, for example.

Guest George's Box
"It has to be NES. Saying "N.E.S" outloud is just lame."

I have NEVER EVER heard anyone pronounce it NES or SNESZ.

Then again, this is coming from a See You in Toledo.

Tim

Boy, I miss a lot when I bypass this folder.

I usually spell out N.E.S. and either day Super N.E.S. or Super Nintendo....I never really spell out S.N.E.S. or say snezz

I sometimes say Ness but rarely say Sness. "Super N.E.S." is the most common. It often depends who I am talking to as well (the nerdier the person, the more likely we'll pronounce the acronyms as words).

If talking about the NES: "Nintendo", "original Nintendo" or "N.E.S."

if talking about the SNES: "Super Nintendo"

I always say, as far as things like NBA, SCUBA, LASER, TNA, WWE, NASA, etc etc etc... A good rule of thumb is to follow the lead of the people in the company. If the people at Nintendo called it the "Ness" and the "Sness", then everyone else probably would to.

In the older days, I just said Regular Nintendo and Super Nintendo.

Now I say NES and Super Nintendo to help differentiate the consoles more.

I say "Ness" and "Sness" once in a great while just to act like a goofball.