TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

June WWE 24/7 Disscussion

Guest heyguesswhatidid

My MNW's was up for like an hour, I watched something else and then it was gone, I hope it comes back, I was looking foward to it.

The last half of the Boston Garden card was pretty good but Lord Alfred Hayes is the worst commentator I have ever heard. He has no knowledge of a fucking product he has been calling for years. For example Gorrilla had to explain to him that Steamboat couldnt win the title by count out, only by pin fall or submission, and I mean literally take the time and explain to him somthing he should already fucking know. All throughout the show the "lord" graces us with his ignorance, and it pissed me off.

Flair/Foley was a brutal bloodbath with Flair looking like he was going to bleed to death.

The last half of the Boston Garden card was pretty good but Lord Alfred Hayes is the worst commentator I have ever heard. He has no knowledge of a fucking product he has been calling for years. For example Gorrilla had to explain to him that Steamboat couldnt win the title by count out, only by pin fall or submission, and I mean literally take the time and explain to him somthing he should already fucking know. All throughout the show the "lord" graces us with his ignorance, and it pissed me off.

Flair/Foley was a brutal bloodbath with Flair looking like he was going to bleed to death.

That's odd. Al Hays was also a fairly renowned regional wrestler in his time, so he wasn't just some codger they dug up.

The Monsoon HoF piece if awesome (slowly but surely the updates started coming in this afternoon - just waiting for MNW and Legends stuff). I love that they showed some 1961 Stampede Wrestling action.

The Monsoon HoF piece if awesome (slowly but surely the updates started coming in this afternoon - just waiting for MNW and Legends stuff). I love that they showed some 1961 Stampede Wrestling action.

With John Foley. I believe he's a big name in Stampede history, but I'd be hard pressed to provide detail.

The Nitro episode when Bischoff fires Pee Wee. Man, as a 12 year old kid I was so pissed off....and so let down when Piper was announced to face Hogan at SuperBrawl. I was old enough to know there was some kind of screwjob coming since Hogan wouldn't lose to Piper clean twice in a row.

Funk/Lawler has to be the craziest thing I imagine ever aired on TV in 1981. I was wondering why, when I loaded up the program, something from 1981 would have a "Coarse Language" warning, but Funk sure let me know why. Great stuff. I have everything but MNW now!

Guest jonnymack
Lynn/Storm was a damn good westling match. Seeing Anarchy Rules really makes me miss ECW.

Seriously, I was just watching the first part of this ppv and wanted to just cry. That match was awesome with a ton of back and forth WRESTLING. There was a freaking standing ovation (well deserved) in the middle of the match! When was the last time an opening PPV match in WWE was given A) that kind of time and B) that kind of freedom to let the wrestlers play to their strengths. I'm just to the Credible/Sabu match but so far I've enjoyed everything I've seen and it makes me so freaking pissed at WWECW right now because a product like the one in Anarchy Rulz would be such a successful breath of fresh air if Vince could ever check his ego at the door and let Heyman book it properly.

Maybe I'm glamorizing it more than it really should be but to me, there was really something special going on in that company that there is certainly a market for.

At least WWE is showing it. Need to be happy about that.

Can't wait to watch the Lawler/Funk empty arena match.

Although I think it's been evident for awhile, this month really shows that 24/7 Online is trying to go in a different direction than the previous "bunch of matches" they used to do. A bunch of quick bikini clips, a 56 minute video documenting 50 descipable deeds, and the debut of Bobby Lashley (with commentary about the debut) and a few other matches. It's not really a terrible idea but I imagine it could upset people who remember the days of 20 new matches a month (MillenniumMan?).

Yeah, that kinda blows. On the positive side, the new vids are being offered in 750K quality which I can only imagine will transfer great to tv. Haven't checked out the vids yet, but I'd still rather go with 20 random matches per month in 300K quality. Now, if they upgrade the old matches they already have up, then we'd be talkin!

Also, I was really hopin they'd go w/ a ECW/hardcore theme for June since it's One Night Stand month.

EDIT - I stand corrected, there will be another update in June. On the 15th, they'll have RVD/Cena, HBK/Benjamin, Dragon/Flair from the Clash 89, Owen/Razor from KOTR, Awesome/Tanaka from ONS, Benoit/HHH from Vengeance 04, Taker/Mankind Hell in a Cell, Carlito/Benjamin/Nitro from Vengeance 06, RVD/Holly from 'ECW'

So all in all, a very good month.

Y'know, it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Ivan & Nikita Koloff have been sooooooo awesome on these NWA shows, especially during the interview spots. I've got to find a way to work in "my nephew Nikita" (in a gravelly voice) into my everyday lexicon.

I don't understand why Nikita didn't ever go to the WWF and feud with Hogan. For all the thoughts people may have about Hogan facing the Evil Foreigners back in the 80s there really weren't too many notable feuds of that nature.

These NWA shows have a fascinating shades of gray vibe. For instance, Flair was somewhat heelish but feuding with the Russians (the biggest heels), and also had no use for Dusty either. Dusty hates the evil commies too, but wants the title from Flair.

The wild thing is hearing all these heels like Blanchard and the Andersons constantly put over Jim Crockett and the NWA. Heels who love their promoter, very curious concept.

I've wondered the same thing. Maybe Koloff thought he'd get the same treatment that many of the other NWA wrestlers got in the WWF.

How many NWA stars really got buried though, particularly at the time? Bob Orton, Greg Valentine, Roddy Piper, Rick Steamboat, etc. all received fair pushes in WWE. Heck, Nikita's partner Krusher Khruschev certainly couldn't complain about his WWE career.

I re-subscribed to 24/7 Online after this whole weird problem last summer where I got a new credit card and couldn't get a new account for whatever reason. The problem is, nothing will work - it keeps saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the protected file because the required security upgrade is not available for download". I really do want to watch that 50 Most Despicable moments thing.

WWE.com finally moved the June stuff to "This Month" and announced the "Superstars and Stripes Forever" theme for next month. They still haven't announced what won the PYBO (first they had the poll up for which GAB to show in July but still had the old PYBO graphics up, they just now switched that but still have Judgment Day 2003 listed as April's winner) but I'd be shocked if ONS didn't win.

Most important thing of note in the July preview: Thursday Raw Thursday isn't being skipped like the other non-compete weeks in the Monday Night War.

I don't understand why Nikita didn't ever go to the WWF and feud with Hogan.

Koloff had two things going for him in the NWA; a consistent push thanks to Dusty, and decent money for a travel schedule that, while hard going, was nothing like the nightmarish one WWF guys had. If Koloff had gone to the WWF and feuded with Hogan, he'd have slid down the cards once the feud was done, with his pay sliding down accordingly. On a short term basis, a feud with Hogan would have made him more money than he was getting in the NWA, but in the long term, he had the better monetary prospects, and a far lighter travel schedule, in the NWA.

I re-subscribed to 24/7 Online after this whole weird problem last summer where I got a new credit card and couldn't get a new account for whatever reason. The problem is, nothing will work - it keeps saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the protected file because the required security upgrade is not available for download". I really do want to watch that 50 Most Despicable moments thing.

That sucks to hear. Well, it's only 10 Despicable Moments although it is about 55min. Kinda reminds me of an old Coliseum Video. Has DiBiase ruining that kid's day by kicking the ball away on the 15th dribble, Orton spitting on Foley, the Piper/Snuka Pit, Knox dumping Kelly Kelly, Hogan's BATB turn, The Rockers' split, Bundy squashing Little Beaver, JBL firing Jillian Hall, Flair's Unforgiven turn, and of course Edge's World Championship victory.

I wonder if the problem is with your WMP. If you don't have the latest version, maybe you need it. Wish I had a better answer.

Guest Kenny Dykstra

Superbrawl III won? Thats great. I was waiting for ONS to come up as the winner, glad it isn't. Maybe the poll isn't 'rigged' as i heard before.

Anyone know when SVS 2002 & Superbrawl should be on? Or if either have been popping up yet?

Guest heyguesswhatidid
Superbrawl III won? Thats great. I was waiting for ONS to come up as the winner, glad it isn't. Maybe the poll isn't 'rigged' as i heard before.

Anyone know when SVS 2002 & Superbrawl should be on? Or if either have been popping up yet?

it said Superbrawl III will be on 6/6

I Can't wait for that!!

That sucks to hear. Well, it's only 10 Despicable Moments although it is about 55min. Kinda reminds me of an old Coliseum Video. Has DiBiase ruining that kid's day by kicking the ball away on the 15th dribble, Orton spitting on Foley, the Piper/Snuka Pit, Knox dumping Kelly Kelly, Hogan's BATB turn, The Rockers' split, Bundy squashing Little Beaver, JBL firing Jillian Hall, Flair's Unforgiven turn, and of course Edge's World Championship victory.

I wonder if the problem is with your WMP. If you don't have the latest version, maybe you need it. Wish I had a better answer.

I updated WMP and had to deal with that whole genuine advantgae fiasco, causing me to roll back to WMP 10. I'll look into it.

Edit: Looked into it, I had to do some computer trickery of finding the hidden DRM folder and renaming it DRMBACKUP, then I was prompted to install the security upgrade the next time I tried watching something. It's all good now. Love that they upgraded to 750k.

On another note, I watched Anarchy Rulz 99 tonight on 24/7. I've seen it many times on VHS but wow, I might as well have been watching it for the first time tonight. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but seriously, Pioneer cut an entire segment with Raven which was pretty awesome, persumably because for about 30 seconds there was music that required overdubbing. They also cut some good Styles/Cyrus exchanges I saw for the first time today ("The ICP had more heat in the WWF than I did" - Cyrus), Gertner's joke (the Pioneer version just cuts to Dreamer in the ring with him), and of course all the entrances (which WWE has to overdub anyway, but they're nice to see). The Pioneer version is also missing the opening with Jeff Jones promising an Awesome surprise for Tanaka.

I found it odd that at the beginning, there was a "WWF Fears Taz" sign that went unblurred.

I would imagine Survivor Series 2002 will start when AR99 ends (June 13th).

I see the next MNW features the "Royal Rumble Raw", which I seem to recall creating minor buzz for advertising showing the Royal Rumble match just 2 weeks after the PPV. I forget how much of that they actually delivered, but I'm assuming not much since I know they still only had an hour at this point and they need to fit some tag match involving Undertaker and Mankind from a SkyDome houseshow in.

Koloff had two things going for him in the NWA; a consistent push thanks to Dusty, and decent money for a travel schedule that, while hard going, was nothing like the nightmarish one WWF guys had. If Koloff had gone to the WWF and feuded with Hogan, he'd have slid down the cards once the feud was done, with his pay sliding down accordingly. On a short term basis, a feud with Hogan would have made him more money than he was getting in the NWA, but in the long term, he had the better monetary prospects, and a far lighter travel schedule, in the NWA.

Regarding the travel schedule, would his wife's illness have something to do with that consideration or did that come later?

I have the original PPV broadcast of Anarchy Rulz 99, so that stuff wasn't new to me. What you have to take into consideration was the stuff going on at that time period. The WWF was in the midst of Russo Fever in 1999 (though he left about a month later, Oct. 99...Anarchy Rulz was Sept.), so there was a dearth of hard hitting wrestling action in the WWF. WCW was so mind numbing and terrible around Sept. 1999 that it made you want to pull your hair out, this being right around when Bischoff was initially removed and the Hummer angle was rearing its ugly head again.

Then you had ECW, which was maybe my favorite promotion in 1999. While the WWF and WCW were playing musical chairs with the titles, ECW had two dominant champs in Taz and RVD. And while the Big 2 had a very lackluster in ring product by the Summer of 1999, ECW had RVD/Lynn, Lance Storm, Tajiri/Super Crazy, and later Tanaka/Awesome. ECW had the best wrestling product in North America in 1999, but once Vince signed Taz and the Dudleys away the wheels started coming off, and once Van Dam got hurt in early 2000 I don't think they ever recovered.

I finished watching most of Anarch Rulz yesterday (haven't gotten to the main event yet), and I hate to say it, but I can see why ECW was starting to slide down at that point, and remember why I was paying less attention to it.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I must be the only wrestling fan in the world who has never gotten into Jerry Lynn and Lance Storm. Yes, they are talented quality wrestlers, but they just don't stand out from anyone else. They are like watered down versions of Eddie Guerrerro and Chris Jericho, without the mic work and compelling characters to back them up. I just couldn't get into the match. It's like "Yeah, they're doing good chain wrestling, but why should I care?"

I also think Justin Credible is one of my most hated wrestlers of all time. It's like Heyman took Aldo Montoya and set him up with a "make a 1998 e-fed wrestler" kit. How anyone could buy him as anything other than the bastard love child of Stone Cold and X-Pac is beyond me. I just really hated seeing him go over Sabu.

I did like the three way match (Guido/Crazy/Tajiri). I also enjoyed the Shane Douglas vs Pitbull #1 match on the Shorties section, though. At least that had a good storyline to it.

Regarding the travel schedule, would his wife's illness have something to do with that consideration or did that come later?

Koloff left the NWA to care for his wife in the second half of 1988, after the Hogan vs. Foreign Heel phase.

In Koloff's position, I'd have stayed in the NWA as well. Jim Cornette and The Midnight Express had the chance to leave and stayed for the reasons of decent to good money for a less hectic travel schedule.