TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Ol' Smitty

Religious Tolerance & Religious Moderation Are a Joke

So, a California pastor summoned a curse on Americans United for Separation of Church & State.

What an idiot. It never fails to surprise me how many Christians consider the idea of Seperation of Church & State a negative.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Before Kathy Griffin won a creative arts Emmy last weekend for her reality show, "My Life on the D-List," she joked that an award would move her to the C-list. She was right: "C" as in censored. The TV academy said her raucous acceptance speech will be edited when the event, which was taped, is shown Saturday on the E! channel.

The main prime-time Emmy Awards air the next night on Fox.

"Kathy Griffin's offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night," the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement Monday.

In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

AP

Eh, fuck Donohue. Dude's an oversensative asshole who throws a fit whenever someone makes a comment that disagrees with religion.

Besides, I'd be more offended that there are people who think Kathy Griffin is funny.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I just watched the episode of Jerry Springer where GG Allin proclaims that he's God and his shit is the body of Christ, so I'm relatively unmoved by this. Also, I just revisited The Gospel According to the Simpsons the other night, in which this same Donohue clown is mentioned for having a major shitlosing over that "The Catholic Church. We've made a few...changes" gag. Stupid bead-counting dopes. Go away already.

Congratulations, Pope! You've just killed a shitload of people!

Pope Benedict XVI has said that handing out condoms is not the answer in the fight against HIV/Aids, as he makes his first visit to Africa as pontiff.

Speaking en route to Cameroon, he said distribution of condoms "increases the problem". The Vatican urges abstinence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7947460.stm

Pope Benedict XVI has said that handing out condoms is not the answer in the fight against HIV/Aids, as he makes his first visit to Africa as pontiff.

Speaking en route to Cameroon, he said distribution of condoms "increases the problem". The Vatican urges abstinence.

Actually what he says makes perfect sense. If you wait for marriage for sex, and have sex with a fellow virgin, your odds of contracting and spreading AIDS drops dramatically

Actually what he says makes perfect sense. If you wait for marriage for sex, and have sex with a fellow virgin, your odds of contracting and spreading AIDS drops dramatically

REALLY NOW.

Sex and having multiple partners is part of the African culture. Telling them to wait until marriage to have sex is like telling you that you should have ten wives and already be starting a family by the time you ascend into adult hood.

Unless of course one or both of these hypothetical virgins was born with AIDS, which seems to be the case for a lot of kids in Africa. Abstinence doesn't work in Alaska, so I'm pretty sure it's not gonna work in Africa. The idea behind abstinence may have merits, but telling people that using condoms "increases the problem" is factually incorrect and going to lead many more people to die when they continue to spread AIDS because they didn't use condoms.

Preaching for abstinence in Africa. Wow, glad to see the Vatican is still ignoring that thing called reality. Stay the course Vatican, I don't know if I'd be able to handle a world where you didn't continue to be batshit insane.

No, they shouldn't stay the course, they should in fact stop preaching abstinence to completely foreign cultures and they should stop hiding the fact that members of their clergy like to rape children.

Sex and having multiple partners is part of the African culture.

All of Africa? Africa is a single culture?

To be fair, Uganda, which is mostly a Christian country (with an even mixture of Catholics and Protestants), has seen a (supposed) major decline in its HIV/AIDS rate, and that decline is (supposedly) attributed to monogamy and abstinence education.[1] They do support condoms as well, though. (To be clear, I obviously support condom usage and recognize that condom usage played a large role in, for example, Islamic Senegal's success in preventing HIV/AIDS.)

Why would God care who we're boning?(As long as someone's happy, why would he really care if he goes home to his man and takes it in the ass?)

The idea of husband and wife is symbolic towards the relationship between God and man. In the Old Testament, there are lots of examples of God calling the Hebrews harlot, whore, etc because the Hebrews worshipped other Gods or did something knowing it would displease God. He even told one of the prophets (Ezekiel, maybe?) to marry a prostitute so that he could understand the pain God felt. The idea of marriage being symbolic is continued in the New Testament when husbands are told to love their wives like Christ loved the Church. With this in mind, the Bible tells us to flee fornication, and to not dirty our marriage beds because to do so would inflict emotional pain on our significant other, and on God Himself.

St. Augustine gives more straightforward answers in The City of God:

1. Lust is the shameful loss of control over one's emotions, much like anger. Any type of lust brings only selfish pleasure to the individual. (As examples, lust for revenge is anger, lust for money is avarice, lust for applause is boastfulness, etc.)

2. The purpose of sexual intercourse is procreation of children. People should rationally decide to have children, not have them as the regrettable consequence of the loss of control of one's emotions.

The biological and evolutionary reality, however, is that all (straight) men instinctively desire to inseminate as many attractive females as they can, because they have no biological stake in bearing the children. (See Genghis Khan for an extreme example.) In nature, women regulate this desire by choosing only the best one of the competing men.