TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/18 - 6/24

She's pretty sexy, but she's not as hot as Astros' beat writer Allyson Footer. The Astros might be 9 games back in the division, but they lead the majors in sexy female beat writers.

Holy Shit Matt Holliday almost hit the ball completely out of Coors Stadium. That was one of the longest homeruns I've ever seen. For those who missed definitely check out the replay

It bounced off like 30 pairs of hands before a guy finally corralled it. Matt Holliday is the hidden secret of the NL.

Holy Shit Matt Holliday almost hit the ball completely out of Coors Stadium. That was one of the longest homeruns I've ever seen. For those who missed definitely check out the replay

It bounced off like 30 pairs of hands before a guy finally corralled it. Matt Holliday is the hidden secret of the NL.

Matt Holliday's ironically cursed playing in Coors Field. No one seems willing to buy his performance in that ballpark, legitimate or not.

My current All-Star selections

National League

C: Russell Martin

1B: Albert Pujols

2B: Chase Utley

SS: Jose Reyes

3B: Miguel Cabrera

LF: Barry Bonds

CF: Carlos Beltran

RF: Ken Griffey

DH: Prince Fielder

SP: Jake Peavy

American League

C: Joe Mauer

1B: Justin Morneau

2B: Brian Roberts

SS: Derek Jeter

3B: Alex Rodriguez

LF: Manny Ramirez

CF: Grady Sizemore

RF: Vladimir Guerrero

DH: David Ortiz

SP: Johan Santana

He's raking for my fantasy team. Two straight years he's been a solid performer for me, both times I've got him off the free agents list.

I added him, and sat down Freddy Gonzalez, who could barely hit his weight about a month ago. Now, I moved Sanchez to SS, dropped .230 Steven Drew, and bolstered my bench by adding Adrian Beltre.

My All-Star selections:

AL

C- Jorge Posada

1B- Kevin Youkilis (would choose Teixeira if he wasn't hurt)

2B- Brian Roberts

SS- Derek Jeter

3B- Alex Rodriguez

OF- Manny Ramirez

OF- Grady Sizemore

OF- Vlad Guerrero

NL

C- Russ Martin

1B- Albert Pujols

2B- Chase Utley

SS- Jose Reyes

3B- Miguel Cabrera

OF- Barry Bonds

OF- Carlos Beltran

OF- Ken Griffey Jr.

Bonds?

Why not Bonds? He's having a fantastic year, not to mention the game is in San Francisco (which counts for a little in my book).

How does Magglio not start?

Magglio wouldn't be a bad choice. He's been a hair better than Guerrero this season, but Guerrero's been far better in recent years. I used that to give him the edge. Also the Angels might be the best team in baseball. They should have a starter on the All-Star team.

Well, you could say that since Bonds entire latter career is a fraud, he doesn't belong on the all-star team. That'll never happen though.

Teamz

AL

C - Jorge Posada

1B - Justin Morneau

2B - BJ Upton

SS - Carlos Guillen

3B - Alex Rodriguez

OF - Vladimir Guerrero

OF - Magglio Ordonez

OF - Ichirio Suzuki

DH - David Ortiz

SP - Dan Haren

NL

C - Russ Martin

1B - Prince Fielder

2B - Chase Utley

SS - Jose Reyes

3B - Miguel Cabrera

OF - Matt Holliday

OF - Carlos Lee

OF - Ken Griffey Jr.

DH - Albert Pujols

SP - Jake Peavy

Wow, the NL OF sucks this year. Too many underachievers.

No love for the Tigers huh? :( At least throw Polanco or Maggs a bone.

I have a great deal of respect for Placido Polanco. Second base is wide open though and given the choices Roberts has the highest OBP, 23 steals in 27 attempts, and a track record. Mags I'll address next.

How does Magglio not start?

I've noted before that part of the problem with blaming fans for the voting is the time frame of the balloting. How can you criticize a fan voting in May when he has no way of knowing that Magglio Ordonez would hit .500 in June? (On a related note, holy !#%&!) Vlad's the established talent though and he's having a career year in his own right. At some point last month Vlad was the front-runner for MVP. If the established player is close, I give him the edge. In extreme cases though, such as Andruw Jones, I'll go with the hotter talent.

Bonds?

It's gonna be rediculous if Cano gets to start and Posada doesn't.

Bonds leads in OPS and OBP. The only close player is Matt Holliday and after that it's Adam Dunn, who nobody loves.

- Joe Girardi has wisely declined the O's mangerial position.

- The A's have DFA Milton Bradley. If the Cubs didn't have a surplus of underperforming outfielders already, I'd say they should go for him.

The Yankees should go after him with Damon probably going on the DL. Heck, they should go after him anyway, we need a better bench.

Milton Bradley didn't get DFA'd because he's underperforming, because he's not. He got DFA'd because he's a walking injury and a cancer. Why else would someone with his numbers get released.

I mean shit, the guys only played 100 games twice.

I think there is more to the story than we are hearing right now. Bradley's still a very good player and he just came off the DL. Seems like the A's would have tried to work out a trade somewhere before the DFA.

Also hearing that Elijah Dukes could be getting DFA'd any moment now.

Yanks DFA Josh Phelps and recall AAAAndy Phillips from Scranton.

Does this mean now that Phelps can be reclaimed by the team the Yankees got him from in the Rule V?

Eventually. First he must clear waivers. Any team that wants to keep him under the same conditions the Yankees had (must stay on the 25 man roster all year) may do so. If he passes waivers, then the Baltimore Orioles may take him back for a minimal sum, I believe $25,000. Phelps isn't a prospect so it is quite possible that the O's may just pass.

- The A's have DFA Milton Bradley. If the Cubs didn't have a surplus of underperforming outfielders already, I'd say they should go for him.

Dusty Baker come on down.

I heard Bradley and Billy Beane got in a argument over the existence of Dinosaurs.

Bradley was DFA'd because the A's are overloaded with outfielders, or at least that's the line we'll hear for now. There was reportedly an incident yesterday where Bradley left the clubhouse upset after a meeting with Beane but I'd assume that's when he was told they were going to dump him. I suppose one reason for choosing to DFA Bradley rather than someone else, like Shannon Stewart, is that they should be able to make a deal for him even if it's just for a PTBNL. I'm not completely thrilled with the move as much baggage as he's had, there's been zero problems with him since coming to Oakland on or off the field except for that he can't stay healthy.

Dusty Baker come on down.

I heard Bradley and Billy Beane got in a argument over the existence of Dinosaurs.

Wasn't that Carl Everett who said dinosaurs didn't exist?

Aramis Ramirez comes back tomorrow and I'm interested to see what becomes of Mike Fontenot. He's supposed to be better than Theriot and he absolutely has been. Theriot's regressed into the below-average player he was projected to be, hitting for no power, unimpressive BA, and poor OBP.