TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/18 - 6/24

I guess the Cubs found another way to lose this afternoon. Down 5-0 early, they eventually tied it but couldn't push across any more runs, despite 13 hits and six walks. It comes back to terrible situational hitting, including another bases loaded, no out scenario that resulted in zero runs.

Tied at 5 in the ninth, they caught Kenny Lofton in a rundown between second and third, but defensive wizard Cesar Izturis was apparently well off the bag and Lofton just slid around him to get back. The next batter singled him home to win the game. Losing a series in which the best starter the other team throws at you has an ERA well over 5 isn't something contenders do. But then it's important to remember that only in the NL Central could they be considered contenders. And barely at that.

At least they got rid of Barrett, though, so they don't need to worry about any more little league blunders. Poor Ron Santo.

You know, I came really close to taking the day off work and driving up to Arlington this morning to catch the game. I am really glad that I thought it over again.

EDIT: At least the Rocket had a tough day.

I heard that Milton requested a meeting with Beane because he was upset that they waited an extra day to activate from the DL. Not sure what was said in the meeting, but he apparently went back to the clubhouse and starting throwing chairs and taking out his aggression on the A's personal property.

Yanks DFA Josh Phelps and recall AAAAndy Phillips from Scranton.

Does this mean now that Phelps can be reclaimed by the team the Yankees got him from in the Rule V?

Eventually. First he must clear waivers. Any team that wants to keep him under the same conditions the Yankees had (must stay on the 25 man roster all year) may do so. If he passes waivers, then the Baltimore Orioles may take him back for a minimal sum, I believe $25,000. Phelps isn't a prospect so it is quite possible that the O's may just pass.

I should add, since the Yankees DFA'd Phelps, they have the option of trading him instead of placing him on waivers.

Since no one asked...

1. Should Sosa be in the Hall of Fame?

2. Will he be elected (and is it 1st ballot or not)?

Here's Steve Philips:

"He has never failed a drug test. In fact, consider that Sosa did get busted for corking a bat during his playing days. Why would a player on steroids cork his bat? He wouldn't."

Doesn't look like the table is going to trasnfer very nicely, but here are the players for this year's Futures Game.

USA Pitchers World Pitchers

Clayton Kershaw Los Angeles (NL) 3/19/1988 Deolis Guerra New York (NL) 4/17/1989

Collin Balester Washington 6/6/1986 Carlos Carrasco Philadelphia 3/21/1987

Chuck Lofgren Cleveland 1/29/1986 Pedro Beato Baltimore 10/27/1986

Joba Chamberlain New York (AL) 9/23/1985 Fautino de los Santos Chicago (AL) 2/15/1986

Clay Buchholz Boston 8/14/1984 Franklin Morales Colorado 1/24/1986

Matt Garza Minnesota 11/26/1983 Henry Sosa San Francisco 7/28/1985

Garrett Olson Baltimore 10/18/1983 Rick Vanden Hurk Florida 5/22/1985

Luke Hochevar Kansas City 9/15/1983 Rich Thompson Los Angeles (AL) 7/1/1984

Jeff Niemann Tampa Bay 2/28/1983 Emiliano Fruto Washington 6/6/1984

Michael Madsen Oakland 11/29/1982 Serguey Linares Pittsburgh 2/1/1983

USA Catchers World Catchers

Bryan Anderson St. Louis 12/16/1986 Max Ramirez Cleveland 10/11/1984

J.R. Towles Houston 2/11/1984 Robinzon Diaz Toronto 9/19/1983

USA Infielders World Infielders

Adrian Cardenas Philadelphia 10/10/1987 Elvis Andrus Atlanta 8/26/1988

Johnny Whittleman Texas 2/11/1987 Alcides Escobar Milwaukee 12/16/1986

Evan Longoria Tampa Bay 10/7/1985 German Duran Texas 8/3/1984

Chris Coghlan Florida 6/18/1985 Chin-Lung Hu Los Angeles (NL) 2/2/1984

Ian Stewart Colorado 4/5/1985 Joey Votto Canada 9/10/1983

Brian Bocock San Francisco 3/9/1985 Geovany Soto Chicago (NL) 1/20/1983

Brent Lillibridge Atlanta 9/18/1983 Freddy Sandoval Los Angeles (AL) 8/16/1982

Steve Pearce Pittsburgh 4/13/1983 Craig Stansberry San Diego 3/8/1982

USA Outfielders World Outfielders

Justin Upton Arizona 8/25/1987 Fernando Martinez New York (NL) 10/10/1988

Cameron Maybin Detroit 4/4/1987 Michael Saunders Seattle 11/19/1986

Jay Bruce Cincinnati 4/3/1987 Carlos Gonzalez Arizona 10/17/1985

Colby Rasmus St. Louis 8/11/1986 Gorkys Hernandez Detroit 9/7/1985

Jacoby Ellsbury Boston 9/11/1983 Wladimir Balentien Seattle 7/2/1984

Girardi wouldnt say it but he declined the Os offer cause hes basically just about next in line for the Yankees job. Yankees manager > Os manager

Trembley will end up managing the rest of the year and into next year and beyond..no one in their right mind is going to take the Os job, which probably includes Dusty Baker too.

oooh..and Tejadas hurt, so we'll see if the streak comes to an end tomorrow since he only took 1 ab today and got pinch run for..my guess is it probably will be since Trembley probably doesnt care one way or the other and if they keep doing the 1 ab - pinch run deal for a week people are going to be bitching about that.

Bedards hurt too..hamstring..so much for being positive about winning 2/3 from the Padres..

Not gonna happen. TK likes scouting for the Twins, and spending time at the track.

Gammons was basing it on his relationship with Andy McPhail and his ability to coach fundamentals which the Os team lacks (?)..but yeah..hes said he was done coaching.

The Marlins absolutely NEED to pick up Milton Bradley.

Oh, and Anibal Sanchez has a torn labrum. See you in 2008.

The Marlins absolutely NEED to pick up Milton Bradley.

Oh, and Anibal Sanchez has a torn labrum. See you in 2008.

You know, the more time that passes the better the Beckett/Lowell - Ramirez/Sanchez and Mirabelli - Bard/Meredith trades look. Everyone killed those deals last year and now I say they are both a wash.

YAY

Tejada has a fractured wrist..the 5th longest streak is over. Could be season ending in fact.

now I gotta dig around for a SS in my fantasy league..crap.

apparently Os fans are ticked off that this essentially kills his trade value for the deadline..so uh..yeah.

From the Friday Baltimore Sun:

Orioles vice president Jim Duquette said last night that Tejada will be re-evaluated today before the start of a three-game series with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Duquette said that Tejada, who was drilled by a Doug Brocail fastball in the eighth inning Wednesday night, feels that he could play through the injury.

"It's just a crack," Duquette said. "That means it will heal, but if you re-injure it and it becomes a fracture, then the only way to make it heal properly is to put a screw in it. That's certainly more complicated."

When asked if a trip to the disabled list is inevitable, Duquette didn't want to elaborate, pointing out that it wouldn't be fair to Tejada. "We'll have to re-evaluate it [today]," he said. "I don't want to predict that."

Duquette said that it was a clinical diagnosis and whether Tejada could play or not depended on his pain threshold. Doctors told team officials that it was going to be a week to 10 days before the injury starts healing.

"He said that he was sore, but he could play," Duquette said. "He thinks it is going to feel better. He seems to have a very high pain threshold, but you don't want to risk making it worse."

Tejada is officially stupid..he's trying to be mr Big Tough hero guy and play through a fracture and risk screwing his wrist up permanently..not to mention contributing absolutely nothing offensively since he wont even be able to swing a bat for about a month..a mockery of baseball it will be if he goes up there and does nothing but bunt at the first pitch, get thrown out and leave after one inning for a month or better, all for the sake of keeping a streak alive that after one more day of 1 pitch AB sac bunts will be worthless no matter how further he goes with it. The Os organization doesn't need to make any more mockeries out of baseball as it is..

I swear..and we all wonder why no one wants the Os manager job and the Os orgainzation is seen as one of, if not the worst in baseball. Keep up the good work!

This just in, Mike Francesa thinks the Yankees can sweep the Giants if they win the first game. If they win this first game, they might be able to sweep the series.

I don't think we should be killing Tejada for this stuff. He'll be on the DL anyways so it's a moot point. Besides, isn't it ultimately up to the manager to decide whether he plays or not?

And like Ripken, Tejada posts his lowest OPS's in September. Consecutive game streaks are not worth the physical exertion.

It's sort of cool that Cal played in all those games, but I still think the consecutive games streak is the most ridiculous and unimpressive of all the hallowed records in sports.

And like Ripken, Tejada posts his lowest OPS's in September. Consecutive game streaks are not worth the physical exertion.

It's sort of cool that Cal played in all those games, but I still think the consecutive games streak is the most ridiculous and unimpressive of all the hallowed records in sports.

Cowherd echoed those same sentiments on his show today. He made an analogy to kids who have perfect attendance in school. If said student did it while never being sick, great. If he did it while being sick, it's completely overatted. Why go to school when you're sick and just make everyone else sick? He also talked about employees who work for 30 years and never miss a day of work and get awards for it. Ok great, but how many of those people were actually the best at what they did?

Guest Smues
This just in, Mike Francesa thinks the Yankees can sweep the Giants if they win the first game. If they win this first game, they might be able to sweep the series.

Isn't he the guy who said 4 or 5 years ago when Boston was playing Philly in the NBA playoffs "I told ya before this series started, if anyone was going to beat Philly in this series it was gonna be Boston!"