TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Can we fucking talk about how good this game is going to be?

www.smashbros.com has been doing daily updates. Dear jesus I think I might have to name my first child after this game.

Bumping this, since it was missed:

According to the site, we now have a release date:

DECEMBER 3, 2007!

EDIT: Make that February 10, 2008 March 9, 2008

CONFIRMED CHARACTERS (Updated 1/16/08)

VETERANS:

Mario

Link (Twilight Princess Look)

Kirby

Pikachu

Fox McCloud

Samus Aran*

Zelda/Sheik (Sheik confirmed 1/16/08)

Bowser

Donkey Kong

Yoshi

Peach

*Samus comes with a Zero Suit form, which is new for her in this series.

NEWCOMERS:

Pit

Wario

Metaknight

Solid Snake

Ike

Pokémon Trainer (Fights with Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle)

Diddy Kong

Lucas

Sonic the Hedgehog

King Dedede

Pikmin & Captain Olimar

I always wanted to be a person who, without any provocation, posts in a thread about a particular game just to say I'm not interested and that I'm not going to buy it, so here I am.

But seriously, I hated the first one back in the day, but I'm going to give this one a go. Maybe the game has gotten better since the original, or I'll have a newfound appreciation of it in my older age. The screenshots look real nice too, which helps.

man E3 is making it tough for me to decide what i want for Christmas, with SD vs Raw 2008, Super Smash Brothers, a Looney Tunes game, that Victorious Boxer they showed on Gamespot

Super Smash Brothers Melee is the only game me and my friends still play on the cube. And we play it ALL the time, its that good.

It's very simple. Just do randomly select characters untill you've played as everyone.

I fucking love SSBM.

I always wanted to be a person who, without any provocation, posts in a thread about a particular game just to say I'm not interested and that I'm not going to buy it, so here I am.

But seriously, I hated the first one back in the day, but I'm going to give this one a go. Maybe the game has gotten better since the original, or I'll have a newfound appreciation of it in my older age. The screenshots look real nice too, which helps.

The original was done on a low budget, and was originally gonna be Japan only.

The second one, Melee, had a much better budget, more characters, more 1 player modes, and all that. Plus 290 trophies to collect in the game showcasing much of Nintendo's history.

If Brawl improves on Melee in all aspects, then it'll rock the party that rocks the body.

The second one, Melee, had a much better budget, more characters, more 1 player modes, and all that.

Not to imagine the insanely varied, almost infinitely customizable multiplayer battles you can come up with, a better camera and a better controller. Most wrestling games don't offer quite as many combinations and different rules to play around with.

So, anyone judging this series by the N64 game should learn what they're actually talking about first.

Yes but they have the same core gameplay. I didn't care much about the first and I could see I wasn't going to like Melee after like 30 minutes of playing it.

Yes but they have the same core gameplay. I didn't care much about the first and I could see I wasn't going to like Melee after like 30 minutes of playing it.

I didn't like the first either, really; the whole feel was just way too sloppy.

Did you dislike the concept to begin with, or were there things you'd hoped to see improved that just weren't included?

The game still involves a bunch of Nintendo characters hitting each other until, typically, one or more scores enough falls within the time limit to win. It's a sequel, not Tekken.

I didn't like the first either, really; the whole feel was just way too sloppy.

Did you dislike the concept to begin with, or were there things you'd hoped to see improved that just weren't included?

The game still involves a bunch of Nintendo characters hitting each other until, typically, one or more scores enough falls within the time limit to win. It's a sequel, not Tekken.

I already explained my SSB hate to you. I guess you want me to go over it for the sake of TSM or something...

I dislike the concept. The execution of it was fine, it was better then any other "party fighter" I've played. I wouldn't even say I actually hate it, more like I'm just not interested. I played the first somewhat because I had friends that liked it.

Guest Smues

In the same week Dr. Wright was announced, Animal Crossing was announced as a stage. Fucking awesome. Night and day depends on the wii clock, just like Animal Crossing? K.K. Slider plays music if you fight at 8pm on saturday? I think I just creamed my jeans. Eww.

If Brawl improves on Melee in all aspects, then it'll rock the party that rocks the body.

Nay, friend, Brawl will make the ladies with the babies make their babies shake their booties.

But in all reality, this game is going to be a whole new game, not just a sequel. The stages look absolutely incredible, the characters revamped to look spectacular, the overall gameplay improved, and the new additions don't look stupid... they're actually really good ideas. I'm going to most look forward to the stages though, because they look absolutely awesome. The Bridge of Eldin, the Delfino Plaza, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, and even the battlefield look rad. The updates come once a day at the website and I check it fervently. Donkey Kong looks REALLY good in this one... fox not so much. Fucking Metaknight!!!

stage04_070622e.jpgstage04_070622c.jpg

stage04_070622d.jpgstage04_070622b.jpg

The last picture looks the most promising. If the ship destroys a meteor, hopefully the fragments will come and hit the players or something.

I already explained my SSB hate to you. I guess you want me to go over it for the sake of TSM or something...

Naw, you were vague and I was half paying attention. I just was pressing for more detail because it might make for better discussion here. But "I dislike the concept" makes it crystal.

What's the deal with Mr. Wright? I'm assuming he's not a playable character, so how does he come about?

He's an Assist Trophy. He makes skyscrapers pop up out of the ground and launch unfortunately fighters who were standing there up in the air.

They revealed a pokemon today. Lame.

Now, this one is popular. This is Deoxys, a DNA Pokémon. It appears on command from a Poké Ball!

mball03_070717b.jpg

When Deoxys appears, it hovers gently in the air.

mball03_070717c.jpg

It slowly turns around...

mball03_070717d.jpg

And unleashes Hyper Beam!

Hyper Beam is truly awe-inspiring. I’d avoid it at all costs, if I were you.

I find the continued lack of Squirtle disappointing.

The only thing that concerns me about this game are the "super moves" as I think they will wind me up just as the "super moves" did on Mario Tennis on the GC.

I hated Ness. He was a shitty character. I don't think I like one thing about him. His attacks were annoying and weak (sans baseball bat) and he lacked a good triple jump attack (only that thing where you had to bring the blue thing around to knock you back in a certain direction.)

Guest Smues

Use Samus' super move and her suit shatters and she becomes zero-suit Samus. Awesome.

I know. Ughghghghhghghghg.

Do an awesome move, kick everyone's ass, and then become something (maybe) cooler.

I've been playing Melee recently in anticipation for Brawl.

I hope they bring Ness back.

There's a debate about that.

Apparently, when they were developing Super Smash Bros. Melee, they were going to replace Ness with the star of Mother 3 (or, as it would have been known here in the states, Earthbound 2). However, the massive delays on THAT game allowed Ness to stay in.

Now that Mother 3 is out on GBA in Japan, Ness might be retiring in favor of whatever the main character of that game's name is.

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking that Marth and/or Roy may be replaced by one of the newer Fire Emblem lords. Marth may be safe due to him being the first, but Roy was just put into Melee due to the fact that they wanted to plug his upcoming Fire Emblem game.

Marth or Roy needs to remain for sure. Very popular character.

Captain Falcon should be interesting. Maybe they should make him a little less of a goddamned cheap character.

Mr. Game and Watch FOR SURE.

Pichu - Fuck that

Ganondorf - Yes, Twilight Princess version please.

Young link - Didn't really like him.

By the way:

samuso.jpg vs. samus.jpg

linko.jpg vs. link.jpg

dko.jpg vs. donkeykong.jpg

Guh.