TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Guest Smues
Sonic

I wouldn't count on it until after Mario and Sonic is released.

Well yeah, but I wouldn't count on Anne Frank either, and sonic is at least a possibility. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever the final line-up is.

On the downside if they put in Sonic, we'd probably get Knuckles too and his awful music.

I agree sonic is unlikely, I know the olympics game is coming out, so it would make sense to promote that game through SSBB like they have done with the last game and their then future titles but it would technically tarnish the debut of a "Mario vs Sonic" game. Besides they'll need to save him for the following Smash Bros title. I can see him being the main other company character (like Solid Snake in this one) for the next game.

Maybe as they have Snake, they'll put in Revolver Ocelot, if they're doing that Good/ Bad pairing like the last game. They'll probably throw in an obscure reference/character like Mr. Game & watch in the last game, someone obscure from their back catalog. Maybe a Virtual Boy level with the character of Virtual Mario, or another game in the series.

I would prefer him to Sonic, but I doubt they put Knuckles in also. However, if they do include a second from Sonic, just watch it be Tails or fucking goddamn Shadow. I don't even want Sonic, honestly, and my best case scenario would be no one from the series getting in. It would be highly entertaining with everyone expecting him and getting nothing, while I sit back and laugh. Robotnik would be awesome, though.

Especially after PT, if there's one thing I've come to understand, it's that the rules are out the window. Everyone expects the Ice Climbers to be cut, but due to their resurgence I almost expect the opposite. Outside of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and at least one FE character, everyone is fair game. I wouldn't even count Mr. G&W out. However, I'm not too sure about Ness and wouldn't be happy about his removal. He's popular, but there was that rumor about Lucas replacing him in Melee, which obviously never came to pass... but now that Mother 3 finally got a release, who knows.

I'm expecting K. Rool and Dedede to appear as bosses in Subspace Emissary, but they are strong possibilities as playables. I believe Dedede was even intended to appear in SSB. If Y. Link/WW Link doesn't get in, who from Zelda replaces him? I've heard Skull Kid and Midna as suggestions. And reading up on Fox and Falco, there are popular considerations of Wolf O'Donnell and Krystal. I'm not a fan of her, but it would possibly mean her staff as a weapon, making for something different, and another playable female.

Hopefuls. Ridley. Capt. Olimar. Tom Nook. Isaac from Golden Sun. From Capcom, Mega Man Classic or X, or Viewtiful Joe, who was made for this. Alucard or Simon Belmont. The chances are low, but Django from Boktai wouldn't be bad, and there is the Kojima link there. In any case, I believe Nintendo said to expect only one or two outsiders other than Snake... and I'd rather see them go the unexpected route and avoid Sonic, not only because it would be amusing, but because Nintendo could do better.

Yeah. It's madness from here on out. Madness.

I think Megaman is a bit too big to go into this game, even though I'd like him in it. Viewtiful Joe is a good guess. Like the Megaman/ Sonic's are huge franchises by themselves; as is Solid Snake. I think they won't want to dwarf Snake's appearance because this just might be a once off deal, and they'd need a new face for the next one. Viewtiful Joe would fit the slot well. Simon Belmont would be sweet also.

Oh and for the Loz character i'd laugh my ass off if they ever worked in Navi just going "luke, lissen. luke luke hey lissen" the whole game. I think they should bring out Tingle.

FLUDD replaces the Mario Tornado as his Down Special, although the Tornado now looks to be an aerial. The Pokemon Stadium 2 stage introduces Electric, Ground, Flying and Ice terrains, and rather than just changing the layout, looks to have a bigger effect on players. Now there's My Music, from which you can choose songs from throughout a series and customize the soundtrack, as well as CDs which can be picked up like Trophies and used to add tracks to the editor, and the amount of songs to choose from looks to be a lot, on top of that.

I'm awful with the Climbers, but it doesn't make them any less fun to play with (and beat up on).

The roster is at 20 confirmed. We'll be up over 25 if Captain Falcon, Falco, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Luigi, Ness/Lucas, and an additional FE character all make it in, which leaves 10 or so spots to speculate on.

Ice climbers are just poor characters. They're weak and usually the first characters to be knocked out, since, if Nana gets knocked out, then the other guy is powerless. I don't know who I'm rooting for at this point. Maybe Birdo would be a nice little Yoshi clone...

Bah. While it can be said of any character, the Ice Climbers are death in the hands of someone who can use their unique traits and abilities even moderately well. They're just hard to get the hang of.

Yeah, I just checked it out (had to wait until I got home from work) and it doesn't sound as great as it could have.

It's apperantly going to be laggy as fuck, you won't know who you're playing against (??) and there's no tauting or messaging between players.

However, if you're playing against someone on you're friends list, you can send them messages during play (saved to up, down, left and right on the d-pad) and you can see who you're playing against and it probably won't be so laggy.

Now this wouldn't be so much of a problem, but it's so harder to build up you're friend list than it is on the 360. Unless you know the person, you won't have them on you're friends list.

where does it talk about matches being laggy luke-o? All I'm getting from IGN is that connection times may be more laggy when choosing a stage under the With Anyone option.

I always sorta wanted a 4-player online story mode, where people go through all the stages and bosses fighting together. eh well, playing with people online is a plus as it is. Though why only 64 people can be added as friends is just... awkward..

where does it talk about matches being laggy luke-o? All I'm getting from IGn is that connection times may be more laggy when choosing a stage under the With Anyone option.

Well, on the smash bros website it says:

But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart – like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America.

The farther away you are, the worse your connection becomes, and the slower it feels. I apologise, but I hope you’ll understand.

Granted it shouldnt affect the gameplay too much, and if you're just playing against people in your own country it shouldn't be too bad.

And I guess if you're part of an Internet community (such as ourselves) we should have loads of people on our friends list.

It'll lag like hell if you're, oh, in North America and playing somebody in Japan. That's a given for any online.

More locally should be smooth. It better be. ChrisM is in the Philly area and I'm in the Pittsburgh area, so I'm expecting a good experience.

Clarification:

In Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, most games allow you to narrow down who to search for in Random matches by country. You can say "Local Region" or "Worldwide".

I have, in fact, played people in Japan without a whole lot of lag, though those were games like Mario Kart and Metroid.

Some games, like Mario Strikers, only match you in the Local Region when you play a random match. However, in a friends match, you can play other regions, though they specifically say "Lag's gonna suck, brotha."

Smash will most likely work the same as Mario Strikers.

Oh God. Oh God. Battles over Wi-Fi are CONFIRMED. I need a Wii right the fuck now.

.....I just came.

People are bitching about not having voice chat.

Please.

Anyone I want to play can send me a twelve number code...I'm most concerned about a standings board.

I suppose there will be a standings board amongst ourselves. It'll be good to see my Wii numbers thread put to some use.

Would the standings board only be a smartmark vs smartmark win-loss board or a overall win-loss record?

No voice chat is a plus.

Sakurai said there are still things to be revealed about the online mode. I can't imagine him not including some kind of records/rankings/standings system amongst those in your friends list anyway. Especially when he specifically said that no battle records would be kept for the With Anyone mode.