TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/2 - 7/8

Roy Oswalt will replace John Smoltz on the All-Star team.

:(

:)

I love Smoltz, but I'm glad that another Astro gets an All-Star spot, especially Roy who is still one of the most underrated pitchers in the game today.

What about last year's NL Cy Young Award winner who has better numbers across the board than Oswalt this year?

There are six relievers on the team. Both Webb and Oswalt should be on the team. Webb is slightly better, but I won't complain about Oswalt's placement on any All-star team.

Chris Young wins the Fan Voting for the last spot on the NL All Star team. He should have made the team without the gimmicky last chance vote.

Chris Young wins the Fan Voting for the last spot on the NL All Star team. He should have made the team without the gimmicky last chance vote.

I agree.

Bill Hall sprained his ankle today. Typically, that takes 6-8 weeks to heal, but the Brewers didn't put a timetable on it. Tony Gwynn Jr. should get another shot now.

Going to the A's game tommorrow night with Dan Haren making his last bid to be the starter in the All-Star Game. Pitching against Jeff Weaver who has shockingly not pitched like complete shit as of late but I'd hope he's due for one of his more typical starts.

I knew it all along!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/pre...sp&c_id=mlb

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that infielder Neifi Perez of the Detroit Tigers has been suspended 25 games, effective immediately, for testing positive for a banned Stimulant in violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Since this hasn't really been discussed yet, who do you think is likely to start the ASG?

Here are the options, not in order of likelihood, simply the list of starters going:

AL: Josh Beckett (12-2, 3.44), Dan Haren (10-2, 2.20), John Lackey (11-5, 3.04), Gil Meche (5-6, 3.28), C.C. Sabathia (12-3, 3.58), Johan Santana (10-6, 2.75), Justin Verlander (10-3. 3.14)

NL: Cole Hamels (10-4, 3.72), Roy Oswalt (7-5, 3.52), Jake Peavy (9-3, 2.19), Brad Penny (10-1, 2.39), Ben Sheets (10-4, 3.41), Chris Young (8-3, 2.00)

Much as I like Beckett and would love to see him start, I also like Verlander, and think Haren's got a great shot as well. NL is surely Peavy or Penny.

And it's worth noting that Okajima is the only setup man on either league's All-Star roster.

The AL is fairly easy (Haren), but the NL is a tough choice between Peavy and Young. Young has the better ERA, they have identical WHIP and Peavy has more Ks and a better K/BB ratio. I'll say Young.

Young's stats are nice but I just can't see a guy who had to get voted into the game on the last chance ballot end up starting it (regardless of whether he deserves it or not).

Leyland already said Santana isn't starting.

I figured Leyland would start Sabathia because Tuesday would be his scheduled day to pitch.

Bottom of the 3rd, one out, Ausmus on second, Biggio up to bat. Ausmus breaks to steal third. Castro throws to Wright and Wright goes to lay the tag on a sliding Ausmus, but, Ausmus, being a crafty veteran, stopped his slide about a half-foot in front of third, popped up and stepped on the base. The homeplate ump for this game has an absolutely horrible strike zone, by the by.

Wandy Rodriguez threw a complete game, 4-hit shutout of the NY Mets tonite. Seriously, is there any way to explain how Wandy has improved so much this year compared to his last two seasons? I mean, you could write it off as some type of abnormality, but Wandy's just been ridiculous for the most part of the year. 2005 and 2006, Wandy was a combined 19 and 20 with an ERA of 5.56, 178/116 K/BB rate. This season, he's 6 and 7 with an ERA of 3.87, 90/26 K/BB rate. Even more ridiculous is his line at MMP: 5 and 2, with an ERA of 2.00, 51/12 K/BB rate, allowing just a .210 BAA. He's only been average in away games, but, my God. I know that before the season started, there was a story that Woody Williams helped him with some of his mechanics, but this is quite the turnaround, and I hope it continues cuz I just put him on my fantasy team.