TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The sports coverage and announcing thread

I don't know if this belongs here but this whole "Titletown USA" nonsense on ESPN is particularly annoying. Valdosta, Georgia's HS accomplishments are supposed to make them a contender for being the biggest winners in the country? Stanford apparently takes credit for Tiger's 14 majors despite the fact that he didn't win any of them while he was at Stanford. It's just silly since the only legitimate options are either New York or Boston thanks to the Yankees and Celtics respectively. NY has 47 major titles to its credit while Boston has 34. I don't believe any other city has more than Detroit's 22.

http://www.donovanindex.com/index.php

Well, if you take into account college sports then LA might factor in as well, with UCLA's 11 national titles and USC's however many football titles. Not to mention the plethora of titles won by the Lakers and by the Dodgers as well. Can LA really win though when they don't have an NFL team?

I thought about LA, but they only had 16 pro titles according to that site which was a lot lower than I had previously thought. I would say they should be a solid # 3 though.

Guest The Elements of Style

The whole thing is retarded because even to the casual observer of sports, "Titletown" clearly refers to Green Bay. This is equivalent to touring through Las Vegas; Jacksonville; and Moose Ass, Missouri; all in an effort to find "The Steel City."

Comcast runs a Philly moments commercial, narrated by Harry Kalas. Apparently Johnny Callison came to the plate in the 1964 All-Star game with his team trailing by a run, and hit a home run to give the NL a 6-3 win. Except that the game was tied, and it was a 7-4 win. How hard is it to get the details on something like this?

I think this was mentioned awhile back, but what's with the Fox Sports Radio guy using every pun in the book during the sports break? He did it for every MLB game last night (Orioles tame the Tigers, Phillies reel in the Marlins, Braves swat the Nats, Twins Walker the Texas Rangers, etc...) WTF?

Valdosta, Georgia is Titletown USA with almost 30% of the vote. I guess everyone in Georgia took this like it was "serious business". Give me a fucking break. Boston was # 5 and was the only town with a pro sports team besides Green Bay (#3) in the top 6. ESPN is useless.

Fucking hell, "Titletown" is the nickname of a specific place, that being Green Bay, Wisconsin. What the hell is even in Valdosta?

Well, if you take into account college sports then LA might factor in as well, with UCLA's 11 national titles and USC's however many football titles. Not to mention the plethora of titles won by the Lakers and by the Dodgers as well. Can LA really win though when they don't have an NFL team?

Uh...UCLA has more than 11 national titles (unless you're only counting the big 2 programs). Last I checked they had over 100 national titles.

But as with the whole "Titletown" deal...fuck the four-letter.

Fucking hell, "Titletown" is the nickname of a specific place, that being Green Bay, Wisconsin. What the hell is even in Valdosta?

A great D-II football team (that's all I could come up with).

So, ESPN did the "Who's Now" shit last summer, "Titletown" this summer. Anyone have an idea of what's coming next?

Guest Vitamin X

Uh...UCLA has more than 11 national titles (unless you're only counting the big 2 programs). Last I checked they had over 100 national titles.

103, to be exact.

• Men's sports (71):
    • Basketball (11) - 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1995
    • Golf (2) - 1988, 2008
    • Gymnastics (2) - 1984, 1987
    • Soccer (4) - 1985, 1990, 1997, 2002
    • Swimming & Diving (1) - 1982
    • Outdoor Track & Field (8) - 1956, 1966, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1978(co), 1987, 1988
    • Tennis (16) - 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1960, 1961, 1965, 1970, 1971, 1975, 1976(co), 1979, 1982, 1984, 2005
    • Volleyball (19) - 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2006
    • Water Polo (8) - 1969, 1971, 1972, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2004

The "Best Damn World Yo-Yo Contest" is now on TV.

There's another one to add to the list (alongside other obscure "sports" such as darts, bid whist, and dominoes).

Bid whist was on TV? :huh:

Yeah...don't remember what channel it was on (I'm fairly sure it was one of those premium channels), but it was all black people playing it.

Guest Smues

A great D-II football team (that's all I could come up with).

So, ESPN did the "Who's Now" shit last summer, "Titletown" this summer. Anyone have an idea of what's coming next?

"Stuart Scott's 50 state poetry slam tour 2009"

No, that's a real feed. It's making the rounds.

Touchdown from Brett FARRRRRR(rowlrowl)RRRRRRve. Beats Dick Stockton!

Guest Cal Moriarty

Deadspin's favorite pair o' tits is under scrutiny for some odd behavior in the Miller Park visitors' clubhouse, setting female sports reporting back several years:

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/colu...ct-red-hot-Cubs

Very odd indeed. It's not even as if she's using her sexuality to glean any sort of access (as it were), information, or insight that any other sports journalist would never be able to attain. She just stands around and chirps out some obvious, mundane, tautological, or otherwise worthless remarks about the players, while possessing fantastic breasts. I mean, yeah, she looks good, but does she look SO good that she is thoroughly beyond reproach in the (snort) "journalistic responsibilities" that come with working at the Booyah? I wouldn't go that far. Suspend her for a week or two to teach her a lesson (rawr!) and move someone else to the Take Rick Sutcliffe's Sexual Harassment And Like It beat just to shake things up a little bit. Rachel Nichols?

The latest ESPN retarded discussion point on SportsCenter was "Joba Chamberlain: Cy Young candidate?" He's got a 2.24 ERA, but he's only 4-3 with 84.1 IP. The 99K's are great but his WHIP is over 1.2 and he is neither the most dominant starter or reliever in the AL this year. Even if he wins 10 of his remaining starts that gets him to 14 wins and at best 150-160 IP which is what Lee, Burnett, Halladay, Saunders, Mussina and Matsuzaka have already posted this season for the most part and K-Rod will probably end up saving close to, if not more than, 60 games. I hate how ESPN loves to present arguments based on nothing.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Frankie Rodriguez better not win the Cy Young because of his inflated saves total. Saves are silly. I want more innings pitched than that.

Okay first off I think it would be obvious when I said UCLA's 11 national titles I was referring to college basketball.

Joba Chamberlain is hardly a Cy Young candidate this year, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could become one in the future with more starting experience behind him.