TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

I'm going somewhere, too.

when i visited chicago, i thought it was going to be laid out like new york where you can just walk to places & find stuff to do on the street, so i just got a hotel on michigan ave & didn't plan or research anything. that was a terrible mistake.

Well, it really depends on what you like. You come from Boston, so to get the uniquely Chicago experience you'll need to make sure to at least eat one Chicago Style Hot Dog, and for sure an Italian Beef sandwich. I recommend Superdawg or the Weiners circle, Hot Doug's or even Gene and Jude's for the hot dog. Buona Beef or Portillos for the Italian Beef. Make sure you check out Millennium park...they spent 100's of millions of dollars on it, so please take the time for Daley's sake. The Mag Mile is a long walk, but very well worth it. Lots of good shopping, plus the scenery of the loop is awesome.

Guest •

Also food-related, get some deep-dish. I recommend Lou Malnati's over Uno, but either works. I had a great sandwich a few moths ago at Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinders in Lincoln Park, which, incidentally, is right across the street from the site of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Take one of the boat tours (and hope Dave Matthews doesn't shit upon you) if you can. I've done the Wendella tour twice now, and enjoyed it. Any chance you get to survey the architecture is great, because I feel Chicago has the best architecture in the country. I'm a big fan of the Wrigley Building, Tribune Tower, and the Marina Towers, personally. The Museum of Science & Industry is always enjoyable for me, the Field Museum less so but maybe that's more your thing. Jogging along Lake Shore Drive seems enjoyable, and I'll probably do that every day when I eventually end up living in the city. Shopping is pretty obvious: Magnificent Mile, Water Tower Place, but but if you're a fan of huge-ass malls, as I am, you can drive out to Woodfield or Old Orchard.

Unfortunately, you're going to Comiskey Park, so there's no cool neighborhood bar scene to hang out at before/after the game; it's a strictly drive in/drive out affair, and you can't drive on the adjacent Dan Ryan at this time, as I alluded to in the DoCock fetish thread. I've never been to Comiskey, but I've been told that the concessions are pretty good, as far as stadium concession fare goes. Just go up to Wrigleyville anyway, just to say you were there.

when i visited chicago, i thought it was going to be laid out like new york where you can just walk to places & find stuff to do on the street, so i just got a hotel on michigan ave & didn't plan or research anything. that was a terrible mistake.

i'm sorry?

Well, you can spend all your time at Michigan ave/Mag Mile area, go to Millienum Park and look at the bean. If your driving, just watch out for people who will just walk in front of you,and find cheaper parking garages.

Guest •

I haven't been there since 2nd grade, but I thought it was pretty cool. The Shedd Aquarium is okay, if you're really into fish. Back in March, there was a line to get in the place that snaked all the way out to the road. I can't imagine why.

I went to a game at The Cell last summer and there's definitely not much to do around the area. Real nice park, but the surrounding area can't even be compared to the one in Wrigleyville.

Speaking of Wrigleyville, we wound up there after midnight one of the nights via taxi and I hadn't realized we were so close to Wrigley Field. I looked to my left and bam, there's Wrigley Field staring back at me. Weird moment. Unfortunately, the guy we were staying with was absolutely trashed at this point, so we wound up running around in circles all night getting nothing accomplished other than waiting in line for an hour at the Taco Bell across the street and accidently drifting into Boy's Town while searching for a particular bar.

The guy had a boss condo in the middle of the city, though, so there was a lot within walking distance of us. I don't remember the exact location, but it was across the street from a big ass Old Navy.

I travel a lot for my job, so I've been to Chicago a couple of times. I have to say its definitely one of my favorite big cities in the country. If anyone here is from Chicago, you have my compliments on your awesome city. Especially the pizza.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I want to hear from Boon to make sure he wasn't washed away.

Gee, Boon, sorry about the wrath of God today.

That weather was pretty ridiculous. Downed trees crushing cars, tornado warnings, etc. Had I known I was bringing the apocalypse with me, I would've gone somewhere else. Like Milwaukee.

Fortunately, it got really nice as the weekend progressed. A good weekend in a solid city.