TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Bonnie Hammer submitting ideas to Vince

What did Russo even do when he returned to WWE that last time? I know he was only there long enough for a cup of coffee, but did he do anything at all really?

I think this might have been the time when he had the idea of turning Rock gay. All I remember for sure is he was put in the writing team and his ideas were considered so out of touch that he was removed and made a 'consultant' and sent home/quit all in the space of 24hrs.

Where exactly did this story come from? I called into Observer Live about a year and a half ago to ask about this and Dave said he had never heard that story.

Didn't he do that to get WWE to buy his contract out from AOL Time Warner, then pitching the horrible ideas to get released so he could sign with TNA?

Yes. Russo was still under a long-term Turner contract that forbid him to work with another wrestling company, iirc. So he convinced the WWE to buy it out and hire him, pitched ideas that were SO lame he'd guaranteed getting released, and then went to TNA which was his real goal all along. Nice example of the Pillman Maneuver there.

But having a show that focused more on respect and attempted to model genuine human thought process would be much more appealing than any of the retarded shit they roll out there now. I don't even know why Orton and Cena are fighting other than uh... because they each want more 15-year-old girls yelling for them? I don't know.

Why are they fighting? WWE title anyone? No offense to you, neither to ROH, but fighting over a prize (which would be the WWE Title in this case) is much more believable and, probably, mainstream, than fighting for respect.

There are certain people here,(and elsewhere) who hate Russo no matter what he does. He helps to raise ratings for TNA Impact to an all time high, yet his detractors find a way to discredit him for the accomplishments. Yet when ratings fall for a week,(a little or a lot), he is the first one to blame. And for anyone in The WWE to say/insinuate that Russo is out of touch is extremely laughable, especially given what they have done in the last 6 years. Almost as laughable as say drawing a 2.5 rating for a non-holiday, middle of the summer edition of Raw. Oh wait...

Well, the ratings for TNA are up a .1 or .2 points but the buyrates are have fallen significantly since Russo took over. I don't hate Russo, I think he's good on a booking team, just not as the lead booker.

None of that buyout stuff is true.

Vince Russo signed a 2-year contract worth $1.5 million with WCW in October 1999. He wasn't re-hired by WWE until June 2002, over half a year after his AOL Time Warner deal expired.

And a lot of Russo's reported ideas ended up being used, the main one being to bring Eric Bischoff to WWE and use him as an authority figure. The only one that really made people shake their heads was that he wanted Raw to be turned into Nitro (to go along with Bischoff's entry into the company) and Raw to replace Smackdown.

Vince McMahon is a guy who wanted to put crushed leaves inside of his female cousin as a child... all you need to know.

WTF?

Agreed, WTF?

Shouldn't WWE create its own identity for this decade, rather then falling back into the 90s?

If the 90s means exciting unpredictable complex intertwining storylines between multiple personalities at the same time such as a link to the opening of Summerslam 97 or a link to the opening of Survivor Series 98 and the new identity means whatever passes for story today (Not much), we should probably go back to the 90s.

God, I just watched those links and they make me miss wrestling so much. Not the crap that passes for it now with Cena and Lashley embarrassing themselves in a feud based on nothing, but the interesting, well-written stuff that they had back in the day.

I agree 100% with this, Iggy. Especially watching that SS1998 compilation based around the Rock's heel turn. I'm glad I have all of that stuff on tape still.