TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Congress Asks Vince McMahon For WWE Testing Details & Results

Al hinted at something that I truly dread. Let's say that they crack down on steroids and stop pushing the juiced monsters. Know who they will push then? The ultra fat 450 lb. guys. People seem to forget that they pushed Yokozuna during that era, Earthquake got a renewed push, Bastion Booger was on the roster, etc.

Guest NateW
This looks to have some legs to it. Other promotions are not going to get hammered as much publicly because WWE makes hand over fist cash while every other promotion in the US either barely breaks even (ROH and a couple Indies) or are huge money losers (TNA and everyone else). Because WWE is far and ahead the leader in pro wrestling and are a publicly traded company, they are going to come under heavy scrutiny.

To the winner goes the spoils.

Who cares about who makes the most money?! That's not going to stop other organizations from housing drug addicts, while WWE would be forced to clean up. This will go nowhere if the government doesn't look at other promotions. WWE needs to make noise about this if they are forced to deal with any consequences.

Al hinted at something that I truly dread. Let's say that they crack down on steroids and stop pushing the juiced monsters. Know who they will push then? The ultra fat 450 lb. guys. People seem to forget that they pushed Yokozuna during that era, Earthquake got a renewed push, Bastion Booger was on the roster, etc.

But Yokozuna was actually good. And once again you're forgetting they also pushed the smaller wrestlers like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, etc.

But Yokozuna was actually good. And once again you're forgetting they also pushed the smaller wrestlers like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, etc.

And Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels have both been linked to steroid usage at various times in their career as well.

Who cares about who makes the most money?! That's not going to stop other organizations from housing drug addicts, while WWE would be forced to clean up. This will go nowhere if the government doesn't look at other promotions. WWE needs to make noise about this if they are forced to deal with any consequences.

But who really cares about other two-bit promotions? Pro wrestling and WWE are synonymous terms in American culture. That's like sayin that Congress shouldn't worry about cleaning up MLB because there might be users in Joe Blow's company softball league. WWE should be and will be the no. 1 target.

WWE PUBLICLY RESPONDS TO CONGRESSIONAL INQUIRY

At around 6pm ET, WWE posted an official response on the corporate website to Congress' inquiry about their Wellness Policy

July 27, 2007

WWE Statement On Congressional Letter

The media has provided us with a copy of a letter from the Congressional Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. We are reviewing this letter and will respond accordingly.

And Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels have both been linked to steroid usage at various times in their career as well.

But who really cares about other two-bit promotions? Pro wrestling and WWE are synonymous terms in American culture. That's like sayin that Congress shouldn't worry about cleaning up MLB because there might be users in Joe Blow's company softball league. WWE should be and will be the no. 1 target.

Thank you. There is a huge gap between WWE and the rest of pro wrestling. I think a lot of people in wrestling forums really overestimate the scope of how small the Indie scene and even TNA and ROH really are.

WWE PUBLICLY RESPONDS TO CONGRESSIONAL INQUIRY

At around 6pm ET, WWE posted an official response on the corporate website to Congress' inquiry about their Wellness Policy

July 27, 2007

WWE Statement On Congressional Letter

The media has provided us with a copy of a letter from the Congressional Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. We are reviewing this letter and will respond accordingly.

If you hear a loud noise in the northeast, that's the sound of paper shredders working overtime in Titan Towers.

Guest NateW

Um, cause then the industry will not truly clean itself up and there will still be wrestlers with health issues and wrestleres who drop dead. If WWE has to get rid of someone who doesn't want to clean up then TNA and these "two-bit" will give them work whether they are clean or not. Besides, why is TNA still in business? They want to at least come close to the level WWE is at. TNA desparately wants to compete. If TNA moves to Fox I think their profile will increase. So therefore, they need to be looked at. Or even ROH. You think they want to be seen as some typical little indy fed? That is why they are now on PPV and they have signed most, if not all of their talent, to contracts. They are trying to grow.

If WWE is forced to clean up, most of the other promotions will as well. In the current environment, there is increased incentive for WWE to push the wrestlers who use steroids because they have been traditional money draws. Therefore, the workers are indirectly encouraged to be users for two reasons: 1. it helps them ascend the card, which allows them to make more money and 2. if they choose not to use they might be passed over by someone who is willing to.

If Congress is able to stronghand WWE into a difficult drug testing program, there will be far less rewards for steroid users (and possible negative repercussions as well). Theoretically that would trickle down to the lower card workers and those working the indy scene. Once there is realization that there is no reward for usage, the incentive goes away and so does much of the drug abuse. It could be a long and arduous process, but that's the basic premise.

Guest NateW
If WWE is forced to clean up, most of the other promotions will as well. In the current environment, there is increased incentive for WWE to push the wrestlers who use steroids because they have been traditional money draws. Therefore, the workers are indirectly encouraged to be users for two reasons: 1. it helps them ascend the card, which allows them to make more money and 2. if they choose not to use they might be passed over by someone who is willing to.

If Congress is able to stronghand WWE into a difficult drug testing program, there will be far less rewards for steroid users (and possible negative repercussions as well). Theoretically that would trickle down to the lower card workers and those working the indy scene. Once there is realization that there is no reward for usage, the incentive goes away and so does much of the drug abuse. It could be a long and arduous process, but that's the basic premise.

Very few in TNA want to go to WWE. I don't think there's anybody in ROH today who wants to go to WWE. WWE has problems that they need to fix in order make life better for their workers, but they're not the only ones. They are not the only environment that can lead wrestlers down the path of drug use.

Very few in TNA want to go to WWE. I don't think there's anybody in ROH today who wants to go to WWE. WWE has problems that they need to fix in order make life better for their workers, but they're not the only ones. They are not the only environment that can lead wrestlers down the path of drug use.

That's a joke right? I mean...it has to be a joke.

EVERYONE in the United States marketplace wants to end up in WWE. Saying otherwise is naive to an extreme level. WWE has faults, and they don't push small workers...but you still get more money from working for WWE as a midcarder then you would as a main eventer in ROH, and likely TNA given their payout structure. TNA misuses workers to the point where most of their entire roster wants out. ROH doesn't pay NEARLY enough to compete with WWE salaries, nor does it run often enough. If you work in the United States, your goal is WWE. No if's and's or but's. If it isn't, then you're in the wrong profession. That'd be like saying you'd be content with working in the Arena Football League as a football player instead of the NFL. Doesn't work that way.

To my knowlege there's only been TWO major indy wrestlers who turned down WWE deals. AJ Styles and Bryan Danielson, and they were both offered developmental deals instead of a locked WWE contract. You change that offer and you get both easily.

Way to miss the point. Of course drug abuse will never go away. It's a problem that permeates society and culture and extends far beyond what we are talking about here. What we are discussing is the rabid steroid/PED abuse that is plaguing the industry and leading to an alarming amount of deaths.

WWE is wrestling. It is the industry. TNA, ROH and the rest of the indies are not even blips on the radar screen. America's wrestling product is WWE and it has to be cleaned up. Everyone single wrestler in the US has the goal to make it to the WWE and the easiest way to do that is to get big. Clean up WWE and the industry's clean. Simple as that.

I think WWE might have offered Joe a deal, but if they did, it wasn't anything ultra-serious, and probably around the same ballpark they offered AJ and Danielson. A dev deal not worth the effort.

At the TIME it looked like Joe made a good decision by signing with TNA. Now? Not so much.

WWE probably learned a lot from the Zahorian trials. It is going to be hard to link a paper trail of steroid usage to them.

I doubt WWE has anything criminally liable on their hands. Not having a steroid policy is not breaking the law. WWE I'm certain doesn't distribute steroids themselves.

Could Congress theoretically order government-issued tests on WWE's wrestlers?

They could pass a law through the usual legislative channels. In my opinion, that law would be unconstitutional.

two things:

1. The WWE will find a way to squirm out of this...as usual.

2. I highly doubt the 90% of non-smark fans give a shit about it anyway and will continue to watch and support the WWE.

Guest NateW

Everyone single wrestler in the US has the goal to make it to the WWE and the easiest way to do that is to get big. Clean up WWE and the industry's clean. Simple as that.

No they don't. A number of TNA names have chosen TNA over WWE . Sting, Christian Cage, AJ Styles, Rhino, Samoa Joe, Abyss, Chris Harris, James Storm and Robert Roode all declined WWE offers in recnet years in favor of TNA. Also, every name who signed with ROH didn't sign on the spot for nothing. They didn't even bother going to WWE for a counter offer like many use to do with ECW. Bryan Danielson turned down WWE at least once in the last few years. Matt Sydal either has signed with ROH or will be signing any time. WWE had a legit interest in signing Sydal.

two things:

1. The WWE will find a way to squirm out of this...as usual.

2. I highly doubt the 90% of non-smark fans give a shit about it anyway and will continue to watch and support the WWE.

I don't think the WWE can squirm out of it, if Congress really presses the issue.

How well does Japan pay? There have been more then enough guys who have made a good living for themselves working there.

The part of this that Congress needs to look into more is the aspect of pro wrestlers being called "independent contractors" rather than employees. This to me is and has been utter bullshit. When I think of someone being an independent contractor I think of someone who is free to do what they want if they aren't happy with the current situation, which is certainly not the case with WWE. Once guys start signing exclusive contracts the notion of being independent is gone.

The idea of wrestlers being independent contractors is an outdated relic of the territory system, where guys moved around all the time and weren't exactly under contracts to any one federation.

Here's a question: Were WCW's wrestlers considered independent contractors or employees of Turner (and later Time Warner)?

If you say the WWE is the face of wrestling and the only one that matters in this....when that list of dead wrestlers is brought up then you should accept their answer when they say 5.

You can't have that both ways....

How well does Japan pay?

Not nearly as well as it used to, unless over the past six months or so things have went back to how they used to be. The Japanese wrestling has been going through something of a down period as well unless I'm mistaken.

If you say the WWE is the face of wrestling and the only one that matters in this....when that list of dead wrestlers is brought up then you should accept their answer when they say 5.

I hate, hate, hate WWE's response to that list, by saying that only five guys or whatever were signed to WWE contracts at the time of their death. That doesn't mean shit at all, other than to sound like some sort of defense. How many of them were in WWE at the highest point of their careers? Most of the people on the list had a run in WWE at one point or another, most peaked in WWE, and for most of the guys I'd say that many of the problems that eventually led to many of their deaths started once they were in WWE.

I know that WWE has to say something in defense, but still, it just sounds so stupid to me.

I don't think WWE is going to just get away this time without major changes. They got away in the early 90's, this isn't the first round of this bullshit. Then again, I could be wrong and in a year from now Vince could be back on TV bragging about how he beat the United States government, again.

How well does Japan pay? There have been more then enough guys who have made a good living for themselves working there.

It would only pay well for big-name stars. Lesnar and Angle for example, got some serious coin for working in Japan. Lesser name guys won't get paid very much, and if they started at the bottom, they probably wouldn't become over enough to where they would be getting that big money.

Saying every wrestler in the US wants to end up in the WWE is completely asinine, as there's many examples that prove otherwise. That being said, if you clean up both WWE and TNA, then you've covered the two most attractive destinations for American/Canadian wrestlers. You might have the odd guy (Danielson) who chooses ROH over WWE or TNA, but I'd say the overwhelming majority have their sights set on WWE and/or TNA.

WWE probably learned a lot from the Zahorian trials. It is going to be hard to link a paper trail of steroid usage to them.

From reading Meltzer's reports and analysis for the past 2 weeks in The Observer, I can tell you for a fact that the WWE and Vince McMahon learned absolutely nothing from the Zahorian trial and are playing the same type of media blame game that they were back then. Short of being forced to legally, nothing is ever going to change the mans mindset.

How well does Japan pay?

Not nearly as well as it used to, unless over the past six months or so things have went back to how they used to be. The Japanese wrestling has been going through something of a down period as well unless I'm mistaken.

I hate, hate, hate WWE's response to that list, by saying that only five guys or whatever were signed to WWE contracts at the time of their death. That doesn't mean shit at all, other than to sound like some sort of defense. How many of them were in WWE at the highest point of their careers? Most of the people on the list had a run in WWE at one point or another, most peaked in WWE, and for most of the guys I'd say that many of the problems that eventually led to many of their deaths started once they were in WWE.

I know that WWE has to say something in defense, but still, it just sounds so stupid to me.

I don't think WWE is going to just get away this time without major changes. They got away in the early 90's, this isn't the first round of this bullshit. Then again, I could be wrong and in a year from now Vince could be back on TV bragging about how he beat the United States government, again.

The WWE has fired people for drug issues and they're then allowed to work for another promotion, if Kurt Angle or Joey Mercury turned up dead tomorrow that would some how be blamed on the WWE when they released those guys for refusing to get a handle on their problems.......that's why I said you can't have it both ways. If it's only about the WWE then when they release guys for drug problems if that guy dies it isn't their fault they tried he didn't comply he got released.

It's not like Vince is going down here, he isn't distributing. They may get a list of Doctors to go after though. The most that happens is some guys get fired and the testing policy is more strict.