TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - August 2007

Guest bp2007
I'm using WMP 9 and it works fine for me.

I'm also using WMP9 and the video looks great on there. Close to TV quality as you're gonna get in my opinion.

DSL or Cable modem? It might just be my connection isn't fast enough so I get choppy video. Also, I have a default video card (no 3D polygon rendering for me!) but I thought that only effected graphics processing.

Sure did, right on time!

The scheduled update was the 3/3 Monday Night War (Bulldog vs Owen), NWA 11/23/85, and CWF in TV with SummerSlam's Greatest Hits in Legends.

I liked the SummerSlam thing if only because it uses the classic Early 90s Summerslam theme (awesome) and I had never actually seen Megapowers vs Megabucks before. It's on 24/7 Online, but I didn't get around to watching it, plus this is TV.

Hey "The Terminator" is on USA this Friday.

Oh man, mosaic-ing Dreamer hitting D-Von with a pan then doing the same thing to Sandman drinking beer and hitting himself with the can was classic.

Yay! I finally got a DVD recording tonight of that 3-3-97 Raw with Bulldog vs. Owen! That was one of the few notable Raws that I had not seen since I got flooded out over that weekend back in 1997 and ended up staying for a while at my grandma's who had no cable. I saw bits of the Euro match on Saturday morning's show, but it was great to finally get that classic match on DVD. Bulldog's 2nd best match ever I think.

That was a hell of a match I didn't see it when it first aired so it was great to finally see it. It needs to somehow find it's way onto a WWE DVD (maybe if they made a Bulldog one). I fell asleep during Nitro but apparently I missed Piper wrestling jobbers and John Tenta.

That was a hell of a match I didn't see it when it first aired so it was great to finally see it. It needs to somehow find it's way onto a WWE DVD (maybe if they made a Bulldog one). I fell asleep during Nitro but apparently I missed Piper wrestling jobbers and John Tenta.

Wasn't Goldberg one of those "jobbers" that Piper fought? I'm assuming you're talking about the time he was "trying out" members for his Uncensored team.

To show you how unjust the world can be I checked out the ratings for 3-3-97. Get this: That crappy Nitro did a 3.4 rating while the Raw with Bulldog vs. Owen did a 1.9.

I have no idea what was up with that whole Piper segment from Nitro. He auditions various jobbers from the Power Plant or wherever along with John Tenta to form his "3rd Family." Hogan rightly comes out later and says "You saw Piper's team of glorified wrestling fans.....now look at MY team!" Hogan's team was himself, Savage, Hall, Nash, etc. Gee, I just don't know who would win that one!

Once we get to the post WM stuff in 1997 Raw starts cooking.

Yeah I seemed to recall hearing that Raw did a horrible number.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Raw debut of RVD despite having that match on two different DVDs. Does anyone know off-hand when that was before I go looking it up? How about the Sabu vs Flash Funk match where Heyman keeps talking about WCW and Eric Bischoff being unoriginal?

Wasn't Goldberg one of those "jobbers" that Piper fought? I'm assuming you're talking about the time he was "trying out" members for his Uncensored team.

Goldberg was not 1 of those jobbers.

To show you how unjust the world can be I checked out the ratings for 3-3-97. Get this: That crappy Nitro did a 3.4 rating while the Raw with Bulldog vs. Owen did a 1.9.

I have no idea what was up with that whole Piper segment from Nitro. He auditions various jobbers from the Power Plant or wherever along with John Tenta to form his "3rd Family." Hogan rightly comes out later and says "You saw Piper's team of glorified wrestling fans.....now look at MY team!" Hogan's team was himself, Savage, Hall, Nash, etc. Gee, I just don't know who would win that one!

Once we get to the post WM stuff in 1997 Raw starts cooking.

Nitro's ratings were all about momentum. It didn't matter what either show featured at that point: WCW was hot, and the WWE was not. It took months of building Austin and letting him run wild before Raw took over the ratings.

I can remember several Raws during that period, especially during the Hart Foundation vs. USA angle, that were definitely better than Nitro but got destroyed in the ratings. Speaking of that angle, I can't wait until we get to those shows. Talk about some white hot heat.

Yeah I seemed to recall hearing that Raw did a horrible number.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Raw debut of RVD despite having that match on two different DVDs. Does anyone know off-hand when that was before I go looking it up? How about the Sabu vs Flash Funk match where Heyman keeps talking about WCW and Eric Bischoff being unoriginal?

It was definitely sometime in March of '97 as it was during the hard sell for Barely Legal. We should be coming up on the episode where Heyman and Lawler have the debate in the ring, and The Sandman threatens to cane the King, which would spill over to Lawler's appearences with ECW in the summer of that year.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen that segment either (outside of the clips for it on the ECW DVD), either because I missed that Raw or TSN was still trying to find 2 hours for the show. I recall seeing a lot of cut for time Raws in Canada.

So I decided to re-watch MNW and FF to the Piper part I was sleeping during... without exaggeration, this is probably one of the worst, if not THE worst segment I have ever seen in the year history of me watching the Monday Night Wars on 24/7. Some guy fighting Piper in boxing gloves? What the hell? Also, was that one guy Luther "Horshu" Reigns?

So I decided to re-watch MNW and FF to the Piper part I was sleeping during... without exaggeration, this is probably one of the worst, if not THE worst segment I have ever seen in the year history of me watching the Monday Night Wars on 24/7. Some guy fighting Piper in boxing gloves? What the hell? Also, was that one guy Luther "Horshu" Reigns?

Yeah, I remember watching it as it happened. The general consensus was about what you said.

Oh yeah that was Luther all right.

You know it's funny with WCW, but even at their hottest peak I never took them all that seriously. When Schiavone would blather about "This is the #1 wrestling show every week!" I would get a feeling of cognitive dissonance. Yeah I knew the WWF was crappy in 1996 or so, but it's still the WWF....and WCW was still just WCW.

Oh yeah that was Luther all right.

You know it's funny with WCW, but even at their hottest peak I never took them all that seriously. When Schiavone would blather about "This is the #1 wrestling show every week!" I would get a feeling of cognitive dissonance. Yeah I knew the WWF was crappy in 1996 or so, but it's still the WWF....and WCW was still just WCW.

Thankfully, the next Monday Night War episode will be the one where Raw becomes "Raw is War". They'll be doing the hard sell to Wrestlemania, and the Bret Hart/Sid cage match will be coming up soon (The one where Bret absolutely goes nuts on McMahon after the match in the biggest bit of unintentional foreshadowing), and we'll be getting the formation of the Hart Foundation in the next couple of months.

It is somehow ironic to me that some of the WWF's most timeless TV was when they were getting their asses kicked by WCW. As Foley said on the Legends show "We were better than WCW for about 50 of those 83 weeks, but it just didn't translate into ratings."

I remember very little of WCW's product from 1997. I don't recall it being awful, it was just bland and utterly stale. The NWO was already getting tired to me and I was hoping they would do a big loser leaves town match at some point and get rid of the NWO, then repackage the guys. It's just hard to leave that money on the table.

I watched this week Summerslam '97 and the Raw before it, how cheap was the Patriot's gimmick ? Good God, even Jim Duggan had more subtlety. I always wondered how come a newcomer like him got title shots so soon against Bret Hart, who, with 5 title reigns to his name, put him on par with Hogan on the "Greatests Champions" list. It's obvious he was nothing but a cheap foil keeping Bret Hart busy while waiting for the Hart vs Michaels rematch and the scheduled Hart vs Austin II for Wrestlemania XIV. Does every American wildly cheer any guy with the Stars & Stripes on him and goes "USA ! USA !" ?

Watching these old shows, especially NWA, shows how much character developpement and the promos are stale and homogenized nowadays. Every promos from the last few years sounds the same or is filled with lame juvenile jokes. I mean, the Horsemen, Dusty, Bret, Michaels and Austin never needed any scripters to write their promo for them. If the Rock was never given a chance to talk, he would never got past the Rocky Maivia stage of his career. Can't anybody these days write their own promos instead of being given The Generic Promo by Failed Sitcom-Writer # 41 ?? There could be quite a few guys in the roster who could be something big one day but we cannot notice them because, apperently, who goes over and when they do seems to be a carefully planned and very selective processus. That's a shame really.

Finally......Miss Elizabeth at Summerslam '88.....damn.

On that note, what was the story with Eddie Gilbert's "Dark Patriot" character? I think I saw it once in a Jimmy Snuka match from ECW on 24/7 but I heard about it a lot back in the day. Was the idea that he also loved America but was a bit of a jerk, or did he hate America and Dark meant "Anti-Patriot"?

The idea of a guy that is patriotic American but is an asshole seems like a pretty great character idea... but then I realized that could probably sum up Kurt Angle.

On that note, what was the story with Eddie Gilbert's "Dark Patriot" character? I think I saw it once in a Jimmy Snuka match from ECW on 24/7 but I heard about it a lot back in the day. Was the idea that he also loved America but was a bit of a jerk, or did he hate America and Dark meant "Anti-Patriot"?

The idea of a guy that is patriotic American but is an asshole seems like a pretty great character idea... but then I realized that could probably sum up Kurt Angle.

It was meant to be a heel version of The Patriot. It started in Global.