TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haws bah gawd

Smackdown Spoilers 8/24/07 from Columbia, SC

I didn't see this posted elsewhere on the site as of yet. I was in attendance at this show last night, but I cant remember everything that went down, so I copied from Rajah:

My comments are in Red

Dark Matches

1. Johnny Jeter defeated Matt Anoai (Rosey) - Rosey has lost a TON of weight. Looks like the fat march show really did him some good. Spirit Squad Johnny looked pretty good in the ring too. He won with the "Johnny Go Round".

2. Jesse & Festus Dalton defeated Dave Taylor & Paul Birchill

-Dave Taylor got busted open the hard way during this one. - Jesse and Festus have some interesting tag offense, but their gimmick is going to get really old, really quick. Their finisher is Festus nailing a running Senton (which looks brutal coming from him), then Jesse immediately hitting a senton off the top rope (he missed Burchill by a good foot or two).

Smackdown Results

-Pyro goes off and out comes Vince McMahon and the Coach. They talk

about Vince?s illegitimate child when Kane comes out and interrupts. Kane

wants a match with Finlay. Vince says the two will fight at SummerSlam.

Then Chris Masters comes out and shows Vince a picture of himself with Vince

when he was younger. Eventually Masters challenges Kane to a masterlock

challenge. Kane accepts. Masters goes to lock it in, then Kane gets up and

challenges Masters to a masterlock challenge. Masters accepts. Long story

short, Masters gets choke slammed. Then Chuck Palumbo comes out on his

bike. Vince says since there?s a referee, we?ll have a match.

1. Chuck Palumbo defeated Chris Masters - What happened here? Unless it was just this town, Palumbo is over as FUCK.

2. Funaki defeated Chavo Guerrero via disqualification. Chavo puts

Mysterio?s mask on Funaki, takes Funaki?s leg and puts it on the ring steps

and smashes it with a chair.

3. Jamie Noble defeated Jimmy Wang Yang to become the number one contender

to the Cruiserweight title.

4. Deuce and Domino defeated Shannon Moore & Eugene

-Teddy Long is backstage talking to MVP. MVP says he could win the WWE Tag

Team titles with the next person who walked through the door. Matt Hardy

walks in. Next week on Smackdown, it?s Deuce & Domino vs. MVP & Matt Hardy

for the titles.

-Up next is MVP vs. Matt Hardy in a basketball challenge. They actually

shot this by the stage in front of the crowd. MVP comes out first and runs

his mouth. Amazingly, he nails his first shot, which was from a pretty good

distance. He brags. Then he proceeds to miss a couple dunks/lay-ups. Matt

Hardy comes out. He gets the ball first, and proceeds to take the ball and

hit MVP in the nose. He runs up and hits a lay-up. Hardys up 1-0. Then

Deuce and Domino run out and attack both Hardy & MVP.

5. Mark Henry defeated Brad Allen. Squash match. - Really awful match. Henry won with one of the weakest-looking bearhugs I've seen in a while. Brad Allen wrestled on Velocity against Lashley in January of 2006 under the name "Brad Attitude".

-After the match, the Undertaker?s music hits and the lights go out. The

crowd goes crazy. A video pops up on the screen. The video eventually ends

up in Death Valley, where the druids are digging a hole. They uncover a

box. When they open it, a bunch of snakes crawl out and there was a small

Undertaker symbol.

6. Up next is a Diva Bikini Contest. It was between Victoria, Michelle

McCool, Torrie Wilson & Kristal. They were all smokin?. Kristal was the

hottest in my opinion though. Michael Cole was the M.C. and announced

that there was another contestant. South Carolina?s own, Mae Young. Mae

Young comes out and takes off here robe and does her stuff. Then she tries

to show her puppies. Torrie covers her up, Mae Young is announced as the

winner.

7. Main Event: Batista defeated Finlay via disqualification. The Great

Khali come out to watch. Khali gets up on the ring apron and he and Batista

start brawling. Batista actually gets the best of Khali this time. Show

ends with Khali backing up down the aisle with his head busted open. - This is a damn good match that I recommend tuning into SD for. Batista hit a nice Blackhole Slam on Finlay towards the end of the match.

After ECW went off the air, they had a dark match between Batista and The

Great Khali for the World Heavyweight Title. Match sucked really bad.

Finlay and Hornswoggle come down and cause the disqualification. Batista

gets the upper hand though and sends the crowd home happy. - Jesus Christ save us all. This was pretty rough. The only thing the original reporter left out was Kane ran down for the save, and he and Batista gave Khali a double Chokeslam.

-One of the ushers said the attendance was around 5,000. A big drop off

since the last time they were here for the Raw Family Reunion. ??s of the

upper level was tarped off, as well as the sections around the main cameras.

Biggest Pops:

1 - Batista

2 - Chuck Palumbo (no kidding) / Undertaker video

3 - Matt Hardy

Biggest Heat:

1 - Vince McMahon

2 - Khali

3 - Chavo

for the titles.

They're not really doing this are they? Isn't this a mirror image of what they did with Michaels and Cena leading up to Wrestlemania?

for the titles.

They're not really doing this are they? Isn't this a mirror image of what they did with Michaels and Cena leading up to Wrestlemania?

No, quite different.

Even if they did the feuding tag champs thing, it's a completely different story. (An actually interesting one) Especially since Matt/MVP hate each other, Cena/Michaels didn't persay.

for the titles.

No, quite different.

Even if they did the feuding tag champs thing, it's a completely different story. (An actually interesting one) Especially since Matt/MVP hate each other, Cena/Michaels didn't persay.

::Waiting for people to shit on this idea:: Just like they shit on Joe and Angle being teamed together. IIRC people were complaining that Joe and Angle being teamed together was shitty and they didn't want to see the feuding tag champs thing again. If people don't shit on this as much as they did when TNA did it, that just proves my point I made a while ago that when TNA does something people shit on it, but when Vince does it they have no problem with it.

As far as the show goes it looks OK at best. I'm interested in seeing Palumbo since I've been a fan of his since his WCW days.

Wow - what a shitty show. I guess I won't have to bother trying to catch this offering or even any potentially interesting segments.

Chuck Palumbo vs Chris Masters

Funaki vs Chavo Guerrero

Jamie Noble vs Jimmy Wang

D&D vs Shannon Moore and Eugene

Mark Henry vs Brad Allen

Are youy sure they're not bringing back Velocity?? I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd rather see both dark matches over the crud that will air.

Eugene and Moore sounds like an odd team. I was hoping Matt vs MVP for the title would be happening at SummerSlam (that seems to be what all these non-wrestling segments are building too) but I don't recall how long MVP is not wrestling during his wellness program mandated time away from the ring. I expect him to be uncooperative with Matt next week and never get in the ringif the case is he still isn't supposed to be wrestling.

Finlay vs Kane seems like a rather random match to add to SummerSlam but I'll take it.

DAMN!!! MVP vs Matt wont happen at Summerslam! But at least Kane vs Funlay will happen!! (YAY!)

at least make Deuce N Domino vs MVP and Matt for Sslam instead

for the titles.

No, quite different.

::Waiting for people to shit on this idea:: Just like they shit on Joe and Angle being teamed together. IIRC people were complaining that Joe and Angle being teamed together was shitty and they didn't want to see the feuding tag champs thing again. If people don't shit on this as much as they did when TNA did it, that just proves my point I made a while ago that when TNA does something people shit on it, but when Vince does it they have no problem with it.

There really is no comparison because Angle vs Joe is a match that should sell by itself, being that both guys are generally regarded as one of the best around, two bad-asses, hence they don't need any generic or stupid storyline, specially the one that just happened at Hard Justice.

Hey Haws - how was Noble/Yang?

I hope Palumbo gets a good push. I guess those video promos worked.

Are youy sure they're not bringing back Velocity??

Don't bust on Velocity - a lot of good matches happened on that show.

Not bad, and pretty fast-paced. Neither guy really took to the air a lot, but they got in their signature spots.

On another note, if you've never payed much attention to the lyrics to Yang's music, please do so. Its pretty hilarious. It's every stereotypical country song you've ever heard (Drinking Beer, Driving a Truck, Getting in Bar Fights) rolled into one.

SD has a lot of build up and no exclusive ppv to release it on.

Huh?

UGH - this show needs a serious shakeup in creative. Just awful sounding results once again. Yay, lets do the feudee tag team pairing up for the third time this year in mainstream wrestling companies!

I won't mind the Porter/Hardy tandem as champions because SD! has no other options. Deuce and Domino have a silly gimmick that was sorta fun at first, but played out and The Majors Brothers are not established. SD! has a couple other tag teams on the way in Taylor/Burchill and Festus and Jesse Dalton, however SD! needs a over team that fans will care about to help establish new tag teams, and D&D is not that team.

Not bad, and pretty fast-paced. Neither guy really took to the air a lot, but they got in their signature spots.

On another note, if you've never payed much attention to the lyrics to Yang's music, please do so. Its pretty hilarious. It's every stereotypical country song you've ever heard (Drinking Beer, Driving a Truck, Getting in Bar Fights) rolled into one.

So he comes to the ring to David Allen Coe's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name"?

I won't mind the Porter/Hardy tandem as champions because SD! has no other options. Deuce and Domino have a silly gimmick that was sorta fun at first, but played out and The Majors Brothers are not established. SD! has a couple other tag teams on the way in Taylor/Burchill and Festus and Jesse Dalton, however SD! needs a over team that fans will care about to help establish new tag teams, and D&D is not that team.

This roster isnt THAT depleted. Give Flair a fucking partner and have them feud with D & D or something, sheesh. I'm just so tired of the feuding tag partners bit, irrelevent if I like the workers in the role. It's just not creative when we've seen it three times in either TNA or WWE in the last 5-6 months.